My big announcement!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, Oct 12, 2012.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Apologies for the dramatic thread title, but this is important to me.

While living in New York City for 13 years, my weight was a more or less consistent 152 lbs. Since moving to to the San Francisco Bay Area three years ago, my weight climbed to 174 lbs. UN--acCEPTable!! So, as of this last Monday, I am on a personal plan to get back to 152 lbs. by Christmas.

I figure that if I announce this, it will give me the incentive to stick to my diet and exercise program. (Since Monday, I've already shed a few pounds.)

So thanks for putting up with my self-centered rant! I will post progress reports each week.

(If anyone else is dieting, perhaps we can inspire one another...)

IceAlisa, pat c, PeterG and 7 others like this.
  2. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Go for it!!! :) :)

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Marilou

Marilou New Member

You can do it! :)

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm routing for you!!! :cheer2:

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  5. skateboy

Thank you.

Actually, my wanting to lose weight is not strictly for vanity (even though I aim to remain a hottie for as long as possible lol!). Every member of my family, except for me, is a type-2 diabetic (both parents, both sisters). So far I've been lucky. I'd like to keep it that way.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Good for you skateboy!!! I'm trying to lose 15 lbs and get back into good shape myself! You can do it! :cheer2:

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Good for you!! dh also has type 2 diabetic family members and recently shed 20 lbs so that he doesn't join that club. We both found Weight Watchers really, really helpful. I'm also part of a FB "accountability and support" group--we all post nearly daily about our eating & exercising to keep each other honest.

Badams and (deleted member) like this.
  8. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you! I'm slowly trying to lose a bunch of a weight, so thank you for posting this. You've inspired me to work harder, and to go back to my decision of not eating after 9 pm.

9. lulu

lulu New Member

Go Skateboy! :cheer:

10. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Good luck to all who want to lose weight. Keep us posted.

11. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what changed when you moved from NYC to SF?

12. Nan

Nan Just me

Having a plan is always important. Good luck. :)

13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Good luck to you! You can do it!

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's the best reason to take care of your body. :) If you think of it as a health reason, every little bit of effort counts!

My lifting weights like crazy isn't because I want to put some mass on my underweight frame. It's so I put some bone mass on, which you can't do when you find out you're on the verge of osteoporosis, which both my grandma and my mom had fairly early on, before they turned 60. By that time it's too late! I have to start early!

That I suddenly have a :smokin: butt now is a bonus. :lol:

15. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Wow, good for you! I believe FSUers will be constant and kind reminder of your resolution:D

I need to watch my weight to but am procrastinating till New Year's day;)

16. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

They sound great! I need to find them!

17. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

woohoo, best reason to lose weight is to be HEALTHY. You can do it!!!!

18. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Good luck - you can do it!

19. Lynn226

Lynn226 Well-Known Member

Good luck to all!

I've lost 42 pounds. I recently received an arthritis diagnosis. I'm doing PT. My weight loss has slowed, but not stopped.

20. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Good luck!!! You can do this!!

I'm at 154lbs right now but before my son's birth back in 2007 I was around 133lbs on a consistent basis since I was in 8th grade (many many many moons ago). I don't know what weight or goal is right for me yet but I need to try something.

I just got an iphone and I'm doing some Nike exercises and taken walks the past couple days. To put it mildly I'm soooo not fit >.< I would love to join this little FSU motivation thing!!

21. skateboy

I think the change was that I now have a car (I didn't in NYC), so I drive more than I walk.

Thanks for the great support, everyone. Today was five days of sticking to my diet. So far, so good.

When I have the urge to indulge, I keep reminding myself, "it's only food." And then I refrain.

Good luck to all who are dieting--we can do it!! And congratulations to those who have already been successful.

22. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Whee, great job! :40beers::cheer2:

I actually lost weight when I was getting my master's in San Francisco - but then again I didn't drive and walked/took the Muni everywhere, so I think all the hills in The City must be good for melting flab :p

23. Anita18

My sister has never owned a car when she lived in San Francisco, and yes, the hills are great for exercising your quads! :lol:

24. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Great thread, skateboy, I hope you and everyone else reaches their fitness goals. :cheer2: I weigh 168 right now, and I'd like to get back to the 150s myself. I've been hard at the gym and putting on more muscle, but eating well is very difficult for me. Sometimes I tell myself that all the extra weight is muscle, but my waistline says otherwise :eek:

25. Anita18

Whether you bulk from muscle depends on your body type. I have trouble putting ANY weight on, but I can lift more than twice what I could last month! (Bodyweight deadlifts now! :cheer: ) My body definitely has redistributed itself a tiny bit, but I still have not gained a single pound. :eek:

26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, when I'm trying to lose weight it's always so encouraging to hear from people who struggle to put weight on. Nice!

27. Anita18

Everyone has their own struggles, no need for derision here. I watched my grandmother suffer bedridden for a year after breaking her hip. Another underweight friend of mine (in her 30s) just broke her knee into 4 pieces and will not be able to walk for 2 months. The lives of us skinnies isn't all sunshine and roses...

ETA: But reading my reply again, I can see how it isn't helpful to the attitude here. I'll leave this thread if I'm unable to add anything useful.

28. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Why are you waiting until New Year's? If you need to do something about it, the time to start is NOW, not 2.5 months from today. This is why so many people fail to better themselves in terms of health and fitness, because they lack the mental toughness and discipline to tackle it head-on. The mental & spiritual strength always comes before the physical, because otherwise you won't get anywhere. It's the making the decision to better yourself & then planning how its going to happen that is the most important part. Executing it is the easy part, once you have the plan, & you've set your mind that this is definitely where you want to put your focus.

Like me, going out for a 25-mile bike ride this morning in spite of the fact that my area had temperatures in the 30's and a Freeze Warning the night before. I was undeterred because I have a goal set, & a cycling routine set down that I don't waver from unless the weather is inclement (meaning precipitation or high winds - I have the trainer to offset that). That's why I've put over 1300 miles on my bike this year. My original goal was 1100, & I've had to keep raising the number; I may actually hit between 1500 & 1600 before the first snow flies (which automatically ends my riding season). Because I am committed to this from the mental and spiritual angles, I've been reaping the physical benefits.

29. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Or maybe they have other things going on that you don't know about, and that you just managed to insult with this baseless condemnation.

30. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I've lost 45 pounds over a long period of time.

I weigh myself every morning, and I got into a habit of writing down my weight on an envelope at the first of the month. It's a great record to keep, and an incentive not to eat badly.

For a while, every day I didn't eat a fattening dessert, I put a dollar in the weight evelope. I figured those desserts (cakes and ice cream) cost at least a dollar, so a day without one was a dollar saved. I used the money to pay for a small vacation, and then for a while I gave the money to Oxfam, figuring a starving child needed the money more than I needed the ice cream.

As you can see, I'm a big believer in incentives and rewards.