My best friend is mad at me! :(

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by canbelto, Mar 11, 2011.

1. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

I am so broken up about this I don't know where to turn, except for a message board. Here is the situation: my best friend is a guy I used to work with, who has a girlfriend in Colombia, but lives and works in the U.S. We once had a painful falling out, but about a year ago we reconnected and became friends again and since then we've been besties. When we go out together, we often go see a movie, go to dinner, and afterward sit in a bar or coffee shop and giggle for hours, and he generally pays for everything (he insists). We recently went on a ski trip together. It's all platonic though, he has a long-distance girlfriend so other than hugging and occasionally holding hands and staying up late at night to talk nothing more has happened.

I admit I have a bit of a crush on him, but I've accepted that he has a girlfriend, so I'm content to be his friend, and that's it.

Well about a week ago I told him about a guy on match.com who wanted to date me, and I was a bit hesitant going on a date with someone I didn't know, and asked him for his advice. In the past I've asked him "boy" advice and he's always listened patiently and given me advice. This time he was very curt, and said yeah, sure, why not, give him a chance, can't hurt to go on a blind date. Then he said really testily, "Don't blame me if anything goes wrong, it's your call," and then said he had to go write a paper, and couldn't talk anymore, and we ended the convo.

Since then ... nothing. He hasn't called me, or texted me, or written to me. He's never gone that long without talking to me. Yesterday I text messaged him and he usually responds within seconds, but this time ... nothing. I am so hurt and confused, surely he can't be mad at me for going on match.com dates, since he himself has a girlfriend! I did not mean to make him mad, but I feel like trying to contact him again would make me seem pathetic.

This guy is my best friend in the world, he's the first person I tell anything to, and his friendship is very important to me. He's shown himself to be a good friend to me too, like just a few weeks ago I got REALLY sick and stayed the night at his apartment. I was basically ... crapping and throwing up. Instead of being grossed out, he stayed up with me while I crapped and threw up, let me sleep in his bed (he slept on the couch), and gave me his only blanket (he claimed he didn't need one). When he gave me the blanket he tucked me in like my mom used to, and I thought he was one good friend, a guy who didn't get grossed out by a girl who was throwing up and had the runs.

I'm so sad right now I can barely concentrate on anything. What do you think I should do?:(:(:(

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Go meet him face to face and ask to discuss what's up. If he shuts the door on your face then at least you made an honest attempt to talk to him.

3. canbelto

Meet him face to face? How can I do that if he won't even message me on facebook or return my text messages? I don't want to look pathetic.:(
    I'm also not used to having to do call him, text him, etc. Usually he does that on his own!

4. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Do you have a mutual friend that can see what's up? It might be that he is getting pressure from the gf not to be so close to you.

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Haven't you had this issue before?

MINAM and (deleted member) like this.
  6. canbelto

well ... just a couple weeks ago we went skiing together and stayed in a hotel together so I doubt it's the gf in Colombia because if she didn't prevent that, obviously she is okay with the friendship, right?

And if I have a mutual friend, who said that she didn't say anything, but he told me how much fun he had with me on the trip, and how I made him constantly. I asked her about him yesterday and she said that he hasn't mentioned being mad at me in any way. She said she doesn't know what's wrong. :(

eta: yeah we stopped talking before, but that was a long time ago, and ever since we've become best friends again, we honestly haven't argued once, it's very different now. It's really unusual for him to not talk to me for even two days.

7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Could be wrong (standard disclaimer) but it sounds to me like you hope deep down that he's more interested in you than he lets on.

8. canbelto

Not really. I just want him as a friend right now. He's like the best friend I have, and I have no idea why he'd suddenly stop talking to me like this. I kinda thought all the drama was gone from our relationship, and we were just very good friends.

9. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

She already said she had a crush on him....so yeah I'd say that's obvious. It doesn't mean she's acting on it though.

I think it sounds like he MAY(and this is without knowing his side of things, and not knowing exactly what took place, and just taking your word for it...and I don't know you) have gotten used to you being there all the time, and didn't like the idea of you turning your attention away from him. A cake and eat it too situation. I wouldn't say that indicates he wants a relationship with you...but it might indicate he's being immature and somewhat selfish...just by going on what you've said.

I'd personally ignore it all. If he isn't smart enough to realize he's being unreasonable(which my guess is that he will eventually), then you don't want to waste your time groveling. He's not your bf...and he'll get over it ...or he won't.

10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:confused: That's not at all what I said.

11. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I usually take someone having a crush on someone else, as them hoping the other person is interested as well.

12. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

It sounds like this is more than a platonic friendship, regardless if there is sex involved or not. And I hate to say it, but it sounds like he is emotionally cheating on his long-distance girlfriend with you. And it also seems like he is a bit manipulative by not returning your calls or messages.

I sympathize, it doesn't sound like a pleasant situation at all.

13. canbelto

Having a crush, as in finding him cute, =/= acting on it, and throwing myself at him and being clingy and pathetic. I've just gotten used to being his friend, and him not talking to me is what's hurting me. But I'm not going to call him or text him or message him on facebook if that's not what he wants.

And oh, our mutual friend decided to be a busybody and told him to call me. And he hasn't, so obviously ... for some strange reason he's mad at me and doesn't want to talk to me.

14. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

sums it up well.

15. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

You have a crush, small though it may be, your feelings are not entirely platonic. He has a girlfriend. To quote Bartok the Bat, "this can only end in tears."

I realize you probably want us all to say, yes, yes, you can be friends! But no, no, no you can't. At most, you are The Girl in the Jar, meaning he's keeping you around for a rainy day to make himself feel better in between gfs. You might be able to fool yourself for a time, but I know when I was interested in a guy I wasn't sure/thought might be into me, I'd run and tell him I had a date, and "as friends" ask him what he thought. This is a classic see-if-I-can-get-him jealous maneuver. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt with REJECTION emblazoned in big, bold letters.

Take this as a sign that you need a break. If you're *this upset* that he has not communicated with you in a few days that you have to vent on a message board, you need some distance from him YESTERDAY. He has a girlfriend. It's not you. Go out and get yourself a boyfriend, or at least a boy toy, that's not him.

16. Norlite

Norlite New Member

This is the same guy you posted on a couple years ago isn;t it?

He was a user then IIRC, and he's a user now.

Forget about him, move on with your life, find another best friend to hug and hold hands and stay up late with.

Or make up with him and go through this again in another year or two.

17. genegri

genegri Active Member

Seriously, this is not a very healthy relationship.

Platonic friendship between straight men and women can happen ... but only when both parties really truly have no interest in one another. Otherwise, it's just too slippery a road.

You and your friend have already crossed quite a few boundaries if you ask me. If he likes you, he should break up with his gf first and then ask you out properly. Unless that happens, you should keep a distance much farther than what you described.

My suggestion is not to do anything with him. Take good care of your health and go out with other friends.

18. canbelto

I dunno, I feel like most of my friendships have been with guys, I just get along with them better, and it's always been like that. Straight or gay. I have a couple girlfriends but I just always get along better with guys. It's never really been an issue before, me being friends with a guy.

19. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter if you have had a million platonic friendships with guys in the past or will have a million more in the future. Maybe they all turn out well without any heartache on either part, but not this one.

20. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I have had a lot of "platonic" friend guys, who wavered between platonic and not totally so. Sometimes their new girlfriends dictate the rules and they distanced themselves. In the end, if they are really your friend, they will be in the end either way. I'm happily married and still have a really good male friend who 100% respects my marriage. We've been friends over 20 years. It's a long and windy road. 95% of my male friends jumped ship and ditched me when I got married, but I have a couple of casual male friends still and one BFF who is gold. I don't know your situation, but if he's a player, then find a new BFF. I have an ex-friend guy who I never led on (told him point blank he wasn't my type, but that I loved him as a person), who dumped me like rotten food when I made it totally clear that friends was IT.

21. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

This guy is your best friend? Surely there are better options out there. Like people who will communicate like adults. Sounds like you have some communication problems that make you both seem immature to me. If you can't talk it out in person, you're obviously not that good friends, and your friendship is obviously not as equally important to both parties. Trying to find out what is going wrong through other people is childish, a great way to get biased answers, and not a good sign of a strong friendship.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
    Matryeshka and (deleted member) like this.
  22. bek

bek Guest

When your just friends with someone, you don't get upset when they are dating other people. Once your jealous of said person's girlfriend/boyfriend its a clear sign that your not just friends.

However, there's another factor, just because your dont' want someone with another person. Doesn't mean he's all that crazy about you. I once had a guy who I was just friends with, and we both realized we weren't just friends when we got jealous of the other flirting with others. So we dated. But we ended up ending the relationship because we realized that neither of us were all that crazy about each other.

To be quite frank I know that I was fascilating back in forth when it came to what I felt about him, and I think he was too. The other people were "catalysts I guess" but if we had truly been crazy about each other, we wouldn't have needed the others.

In the end, if he was truly crazy about you, unbelievably crazy about you. He wouldn't be cool with the idea of an undefined relationship with. Nor would he be cool with going on a ski trip with you platonically, and the list goes on and on. Don't you want someone whose crazy about you?

Your relationship isn't healthy IMO. And if this guy is a good guy than he know realizes it. Now if he's any kind of decent guy, he needs to make some decisions.

First of all who does he want to be with you or his girlfriend? If he wants to be with his girlfriend, than out of respect to her, he's frankly going to need to back off from your friendship big time. Its frankly not because you did something wrong, its because he loves her.

Or he needs to decide he wants to be with you. If he does than he needs to break things off with his girlfriend first. Out of respect to her.

Honestly, I must say that if I were you, I'd be really careful about being best friends with someone I'm attracted to, especially if they have a girlfriend. You need to protect your heart. I'd be wary about your relationship with him, if I was a guy.

I'd leave him alone.

And as for the whole but I have tons of guy friends.. I am someways am more comfortable with guys too. But I know that if there's a guy who is significantly attached to another girl. And I know that I'm attracted to said guy, than I know that this is a guy I need to be wary about developing a really close friendship with. And that's especially the case if perhaps the attraction might be even SLIGHTLY mutual. It doesn't mean you can't be friendly. But you need to protect your heart/feelings.

And frankly I think the sign of an honest guy or girl. Is when they are relationships with other people, they are also careful about not getting to close to people they are attracted too. There is ALWAYS going to be someone else that you could have had a relationship with, could have made it work if timing is right. But if you love the one your with and you want to make that relationship work. You do your best to keep yourself emotionally committed.

Oh and the respect he shows his girlfriend, will be the respect he'll show you, if you were his girlfriend. You know everything that's gone down between the two of you, would you feel comfortable with it if you were his girlfriend?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Sorry, but if you're hugging and holding hands, that's not platonic. And if you're choked up because he hasn't gotten in touch with you for two days, that's not platonic either. Nor is the fact that (apparently) he stopped talking to you because you went on a date with another guy.

He sounds like a manipulative user who's trying to get you to come back to him, to keep him company while he's away from his long-distance girlfriend. Don't fall for it. You deserve better.

skaternum and (deleted member) like this.
  24. canbelto

Eh I don't know, I feel as if his girlfriend knows about every time we're together, because he calls her to tell her he can't talk for long because he's out with me. So she must know about me, and be fine with it, maybe because it's a long-distance relationship. I don't know.

I've accepted the advice of all of you that this isn't really the healthiest friendship, but I'd still like some closure and to talk to him before we just ... stop talking. I dunno, to clear the air. Is that unreasonable of me?

25. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

It's not your choice. You can't force him to talk to you.

26. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think he is more interested than he has let on up to this point. Why else would he suddenly start spritzing when she tells him she is thinking about going out on a date? I think that, in his eyes, she has been a kind of "stand in" for the girlfriend in Colombia (minus the sex of course), and her stepping out in a different direction from that is ruining the illusion for him.

I have a close male buddy, and if I were to get involved with someone, he would be absolutely thrilled for me. The first thing he would be doing is lobbying for the job of DJing the wedding! :D

27. bek

bek Guest

Knowing that her boyfriend is friends with you, and knowing that you guys spend time holding hands etc are too different things.

I think thats totally possible but Canbelto cannot put her life on hold for this guy. I think this is the same guy she posted about couple of years ago, and that should be a wake up call for her. She can't wait around for this guy decide if he wants to be with her. And I think it would be difficult for another guy to really have a chance with her, while this guy is in the picture. Not to mention if I were a new guy, I'd see huge red flags about the relationship.

Canbelto at this point needs to move on with her life, and assume that this guy wants the current girlfriend. The thing is that if this guy has deep feelings for her, Canbelto ending the current pattern might be a wake up call for him. But Canbelto cannot distance herself just on hoping that he will change her mind. She has to distance herself, for her own emotional well being. Because she realizes that she deserves better.

28. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Agreed.

29. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

A guy who truly is your "best friend" doesn't act like an immature, manipulative, passive aggressive asshat. Which is what he's doing. This isn't a healthy relationship or friendship. You need to get distance to get yourself away from this guy.

98% of my good friends are guys as well. And isn't the point of having male friends to not have to deal with this sort of DRAMA?

30. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I would agree with you. Two thoughts come to mind:

"The Lady doth protest too much methinks" (his attitude with respect to you're just a friend)

" He's not sure if he wants you, but he'll be damned if anyone else can have you

That happened to me