My attempt at a skating novel

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TanithandBenFan, Jun 9, 2010.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Apologies for giving you misleading information, TanithAndBenFan, (and for getting rfisher so upset as well.)

I was unaware that the rules appear to have changed (internationally at least) since I did the rounds with my own work.

Best of luck with your writing.

2. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

No problem. I appreciate the encouraging thoughts!

3. essence_of_soy

When Matthew Reilly started out, he actually went the self - publishing route.
    You could possibly look down that avenue as well.

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I'm not upset. However, she needs to know the reality of publishing. I don't know when you submitted fiction to a publisher, but no publishing house will even consider a manuscript from an unpublished author without an agent any more. It won't even be opened. Many agents won't even consider a new author in today's climate and those that do have very specific requirements regarding submissions. There is a lot of information out there on the internet about how to get published and tons of books in the library or bookstores including the annual list of agents guides.

That's not to say she shouldn't continue to write for fun and her own entertainment, but publishing is an entire different matter.

5. alhrayth

alhrayth Well-Known Member

I'm bumping this up because I just catched up with chapter 64... I was kind of expecting that (it would have been tooooooo easy to succeed straight away) but now I'm really looking forward to see what happens next! :) waiting for the next chapt!

6. TanithandBenFan

Yeah, it wouldn't have been any fun without drama ;) I'm so glad you're still following it! :) The end is near.... I just have to decide how to end it. :shuffle:

7. Mendi

Mendi New Member

Nooooo, don't end it! I love having something figure skating related to read besides blogs/forums, and I've blown through the figure skating section at the library. :)

8. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

I lost this thread but finally found it again! Your writing is getting better and better. I'm loving the story! I can't wait to see how it ends.

9. TanithandBenFan

Thanks so much, GM! The feedback I've received on here and on the FanStory site has taught me so much. Once I post the last chapter, I'm going to go back and edit many of the early chapters to apply what I've learned. :) Writing the last chapter has been a struggle because in my mind the story continues after the point where I need to end it (and I've continued to put it on paper, too). So, I have to find a nice way to wrap it all up without leaving too much hanging.

10. belldkay

belldkay New Member

I am really enjoying your book - If you are ending it soon will you be writing another one? Hope so!

11. belldkay

belldkay New Member

where can we find that novel?

12. belldkay

belldkay New Member

where can we read your skating fiction?

13. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

Every story continues after the book ends, you just have to decide where YOUR story ends.

14. TanithandBenFan

I finally decided how to end it. What made it more difficult is the fact I have continued to write the story (it's more like a series I guess), so I had to change up the order of a few events to wrap up this part of the story.

Thanks - I'm so glad you've enjoyed it! I've started writing the next part of this story, but I'm not sure if I want to make it into "Book 2" so to speak. It's just for my friends right now.

15. alhrayth

alhrayth Well-Known Member

Follow the link in TanithandBenFan's signature! or, it's here

16. belldkay

belldkay New Member

thanks - but not what I am looking for - I am looking for the fictin/novel that jenniferlyon and essence_of_soy spoke of writing - I have Life on the Edge

17. essence_of_soy

Hi Belldkay,

Gosh, I wrote (or typed) my book before user - friendly computers or the internet existed to any degree.

I'll see if I can dig it up The Great Wall of China for you at some point.

The plot, looking back, was Faustian, to say the least, and nothing clean - cut like TanithAndBenFan's story.

Mine was about an average skater who believes she has made a pact with the devil to win Olympic gold. The catch (and isn't there always one) is that victory comes with a hefty price.

18. FigSk8Fan

FigSk8Fan New Member

I just found this thread for the first time & it's now 2:45 AM, I've stayed up and read the entire thing! You have done such an excellent job, it's only gotten better and better as you've gone along.

I am dying to know what happens now, and I really hope that you decide to make a Book 2! Please? LOL :encore:

19. TanithandBenFan

Aww, thanks so much! :) If I do end up posting Book 2 online, I'll have to provide some explanatory notes because it could be confusing. There are some subplots I cut out of Book 1 that existed in the version I wrote for my friends. I've carried these over to Book 2. It's also not very streamlined... there's some stuff that probably wouldn't be considered necessary action moving the plot along. But I consider Book 2 lagniappe, and I just like to write whatever comes to mind, regardless of how important it is to the grand scheme of things. :)

20. TanithandBenFan

I've posted the last chapter. :) Would love to hear thoughts from those of you who are still reading - was it a satisfactory ending?

21. Miruna

Miruna New Member

Hi! I like your novel very much and i love the ending because it was satisfying, pozitive and light! Please, keep writing, you do have a special talent! :rockstar:

22. TanithandBenFan

Thank you! :)