My 20 predictions for 2013-2014 season.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by wristflick, Apr 16, 2013.

1. wristflick

wristflick New Member

These are 20 things I have a feeling will happen next season.

1. Yu Na Kim will win her 2nd Olympic Gold, then retire again, only to return sometime in the next quad, possibly winning her 3rd pre Olympic Worlds and 3rd Olympics in the process, her usual pattern.
    2. Davis & White will win their 1st Olympic Gold, then win their 3rd World title, and then turn pro.
    3. Virtue & Moir will win their 1st Olympic Silver, skip Worlds, and turn pro.
    4. Akiko Suzuki will win the Olympic bronze, then win the World title on home ice, then turn pro.
    5. Miki Ando will attempt a comeback and place 3rd or 4th at Nationals, which will be insufficient to make the team.
    6. Evan Lysacek will attempt a comeback and place 3rd or 4th at Nationals, which will be insufficient to make the team.
    7. Evgeny Plushenko will skate at a final Olympics, place between 5th to 9th, then retire for good.
    8. Voloszhar & Trankov will win their 1st Olympic Gold, win their 2nd straight Worlds, then go back on their original thoughts and continue awhile longer.
    9. Savchenko & Szolkowy will win their 2nd straight Olympic bronze, and then retire, without even going to the post Olympic Worlds.
    10. Team Canada will win an impressive 4 medals at the Games, but only 1 gold, in the Team Event.
    11. Ashley Wagner will surprise most people by retaining her U.S title over Gracie Gold. She will win the bronze at the post Olympic Worlds, then go pro.
    12. Christina Gao will finally make the Olympic and World team, and perform admirably at both, and continue with the sport post Sochi.
    13. Chan will place from 3rd to 5th at the Olympics, then go pro before the Worlds.
    14. Takahashi will place from 5th to 9th at his final Olympics, then go pro.
    15. Brian Joubert will place from 5th to 9th at his final Olympics, then go pro.
    16. Carolina Kostner will win the Olympic silver, then go pro after the season.
    17. Javier Fernandez will win the Olympic Gold.
    18. Alissa Czisny will make a final comeback, placing 5th to 7th at Nationals, then go pro.
    19. Caroline Zhang will skate at her final Nationals, placing outside the top 10, then go pro.
    20. Kevin Reynolds will medal at the post Olympic Worlds.

2. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

How can all these skaters "go pro" when there are limited tour opportunities? The Russian and Japanese skaters might find a berth in tours in their countries, but the pickings are slim in the US.

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

There is still American Stars on Ice (although probably going under in a year or two) and Canadian Stars on Ice which is going stronger.

4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Just my thoughts on these.

5. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

But it's only a couple of weeks in a year. And there isn't many opportunities for European skaters, only Art on Ice, but they have only a couple free spots because Lambiel and Plushenko are always part of it.

6. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

:rofl: LOL!
    They are a good team but not good enough for Olympic Gold. Also am I the only one who noticed a pattern? V/M seem to do better in years that end with an even number. For example in 2009 D/W beat V/M at 4cc and at GPF but in 2010 V/M beat D/W twice (Olympics Worlds) in 2011 (an odd number year) D/W beat V/M twice again (Worlds GPF) whereas in 2012 V/M beat D/W twice (4cc and Worlds). Excluding GPF, (which I think V/M keep on losing because they missed 2 GP seasons that is why D/W have more points than V/M they have done more grand prix competitions I think) D/W beat V/M twice in 2013. The seasons D/W beat V/M was because they were doing something different (PF, Latin, Carmen) that challenged them and possibly aggravated Tessa's injury. So what they need for the Olympics is a program similar to Mahler where they have to choreograph around Tessa's injury.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    euterpe and (deleted member) like this.
  7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

You really think Chan's not going to win?

8. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Plushenko hasn't skated in 'Art on ice' for the last two years (except 'Opera on Ice' last year), although that was because of his health problems. He may skate there a couple of times after retiring from competition, but he said that he doesn't really like touring and performing in shows - he gets bored. He is more likely to get busy with training and trying to build his skating school. Volosozhar/Trankov and Savchenko/Szolkowy are the ones who are a lock for at least some years to come, as 'Art on Ice' is their agency (the same as for Lambiel and Sarah Meier - but it has been said that next year she will skate in 'Art on Ice' for the last time).

It's true that there are no that many opportunities for professional skaters - even the ones from Europe (except Russia), unless 'Art on Ice' is their agency. All of his talent and titles wouldn't help Lambiel if he was not Swiss and, therefore, the main star of 'Art on ice'. The fact that he is loved in Japan, Korea and Italy is just a bonus. He is loved in Russia too, but he can perform there two to three times in a year at best, and sometimes less, as they have their own skaters, and foreign skaters like Lambiel are too expensive (or so Averbukh says).

It seems that there are some small local shows in USA outside of 'Stars on Ice', but I doubt that they bring huge profit, or that the bigger stars would even want to skate in such shows regularly. As for Japan, yes, there are quite many shows, but I suspect that not quite as many as it could seem. Or those too are small local shows that I haven't heard about. Anyway, the only professional that I have heard of who is regularly performing is Shizuka Arakawa. Other professionals like Honda and probably someone else have much fewer appearances.

9. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Plushenko has also talked about reviving Kings on Ice after his retirement - but again, that's not going to help the Americans much, unless he takes a liking to one of them.

At the moment, sad as it is, the best bet for any American skater to make some good money in shows is to get popular in Japan.

10. euterpe

There are a few made-for-TV ice shows mostly focused around the holidays (Halloween through Christmas) but these are one-shot deals that probably don't pay much. To get those gigs, it helps if a skater has a World medal or a US Championship. Without one or both of those, a skater like Caroline Zhang probably isn't going to get any offers for the TV events. Maybe she could get a job on a cruise ship.

11. euterpe

The reason V/M haven't won the GPF has nothing to do with the number of GP competitions the teams have skated. The GPF is a head-to-head competition, and V/M have never beaten D/W at it. Anyway, each time V/M have been in the GPF it was because they had won both GP events that year, and that is the same case for D/W.

So in the 2012-2013 season, D/W beat V/M three times out of three head-to-head competitions.

That may have worked then, but that doesn't account for the improvement in D/W's skating since 2010. It used to be that V/M always got higher PCS scores than D/W. This past season, D/W have won the PCS scores 3 times out of 3.

12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I took "going pro" to mean leaving competitive skating, not necessarily going into a full time show skating career. Not all skaters even want to do shows, at least not as their main occupation or for a lengthy period of time. I don't think Takahashi and Joubert are planning to do show skating for an extended amount of time.

As for the predictions in the OP, they are way too specific and not surprising enough. This isn't the NCAA tournament, but you still need to allow for the occasional upset special.

"D/W will win their first Olympic gold" implies that they will go on to win more Olympic golds. I find this unlikely.

13. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: They're good enough to beat the reigning OGM, quite handedly when V/M have said they're 100% healthy.

14. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

V/M never admit to having medical issues. You only find out about those afterward; they've been known to be less than truthful at times in stating that Tessa is fully healthy.

15. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I believe I'll wait awhile before I even attempt to guess about predictions for 2013 - 2014 since my predictions for this year's Worlds ended up sort of "goofy". :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

No, Hanyu will finally get his stamina together.

17. parapluies

Imo D/W haven't really improved much. The only thing they have improved is there consistency and that is because they recycle a lot of elements. Their technique, lines, posture, connection, etc. is still pretty much the same. They always rush into their lifts and that makes everything look sloppy and they skate so far apart. For example, if you compare V/M'S curve lift to D/W you can see Charlie wobble whereas Scott is steady. If you look at what they do closely, you can see that they are not as good as everyone and the USFS says they are. They were much more better to watch in 2010. Now I feel that they have gone stale.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  18. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

Mao is overrated in this thread. I think her Worlds medal this year will be her last World or Olympic medals of any kind. She is going downhill and unless she repeats her 4CCs level which was an aberration for her these days the judges will start dumping her with so many people coming up behind her. As for Worlds after the Olympics if Kim doesnt go, Kostner is winning that probably.

19. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

if fs wasnt corrupt and the judging system wasn't as flawed as it is now this wouldn;t have happened. if d/w win olympic gold they can thank their federation and igor for their medal.

20. Whitneyskates

:wideeyes::rofl:

21. parapluies

Its kind of obvious when her injury is bothering her. Despite that she is still the most graceful ice dancer in her field.

22. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

How did this turn into the V/M thread?:shuffle:

23. karlon

karlon New Member

I agree with these

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  24. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I'll go by my intuition and say:

Ladies:
    1.) The gold medal will go to Yu-na or Kostner.

2.) An American lady will medal. Two American ladies will finish in the top six.

3)Mao will finish 4th-5thish.

4)China will have a top six finish.

5)Two Russians in the top 12.

Men:

1) Patrick Chan will take it (with mistakes of course :p ), unless someone skates out of this world and beats him.

2) The only other favorite for a medal is Javier Fernandez, however I don't think he'll go clean either so probably bronze for him.

3) Dennis Ten: Top five finish for him.

4) Takahashi will not medal but will have a decent skate for a top six finish.

5) Eva Lysacek will return and medal.

6) A Russian skater (not Plushenko) will skate lights out and sneak into the top six. As high as 4th/as low as 6th.

Dance:

1) America's first gold medal.

2) Canada captures silver.

3) Contrary to popular opinion Pechalat & Bourzat will take Bronze.

4) 4-6 will be between W/P, C/B, and C/L.

5) B/S will make silly mistakes and take themselves out of the running. Will go head to head with the Shibutanis and might even lose to them.

6) The Shibutanis climb a spot or two. As high as 5th/as low as 7th.

6) R/T eclipse I/K.

7) Germans will round out the top ten.

Pairs

1)Russia's likely chance for a gold Medal. She'll be ok, but he is the one to worry about. The judges will award them gold if they go clean, but if he messes up the Germans will take it gladly.

2)The Germans are bitter about losing their world title and will no doubt be more than ready to skate the FS of their lives(with a triple Axel and all).

3)Russia might be able to get another medal here, though D/R and M-T/M are more likely to medal.

25. munow

munow New Member

I don't understand how some are counting Yuzuru Hanyu out as if he's suddenly a non entity. I'm not his biggest fan, but he had been pretty strong this year except for quad Salchow attempts, until the 4CCs. I think he'll be a major contender for Sochi if he doesn't suddenly burn out.

26. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

So sad that there is a "fan" like rainbowkisses among us. The things that she says then become what other skating fans think of us, Virtue/Moir fans, although in truth it is only her and probably a few others.

27. Whitneyskates

I know it's not all V/M fans. If D/W win gold it definitely won't be because of USFSA, despite D/W's success, they're still salivating over the ladies.

28. dots

dots Well-Known Member

But he's a headcase. :confused: I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I'll put him between 7-12th.

29. Elkmaria

Elkmaria New Member

My thoughts :)

30. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Member

:rofl:

If Hanyu is a headcase, what are Chan, Takahashi and pretty much all the others? He messes up his LP's because of his stamina problems, and he's prone to injuries and illness, but he's not making any more mistakes than the majority of the guys do.
    Besides that, he's 18. Just one month older than Farris, who's the Junior World Champion. It's not unusual for the younger guys to be inconsistent, and if anyone seems to have the room to improve, it's him. Last season, he always had trouble with his SP (worlds, GPF, nats, CoR) except for CoC, this year he broke the world record twice.

And 7th - 12th? :rofl: Except for his 2nd senior competition, Cup of Russia in 2010, where he was 7th - Hanyu never finished lower than 4th.
    Saying he has smaller chances of a medal than Lysacek is like the worst joke ever.