Musicals to Movies

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Nov 23, 2012.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

2. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Taf I've inadverdently played the spoiler before and didn't want to do it again. And I think with this situation it is better seen than explained.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Years ago, there was a talk of making a musical out of the movie 'Somewhere in time'. It never got made.

4. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I've seen the youtube where the original cast sat around & talked about the show & the audition process, etc, but I don't remember anything significant about Sheila.

5. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

That's because it has to do with the specific person auditioning.

If Cachoo and I are talking about the same thing,
    the favorite for the part came into the final casting call and, after auditioning, was asked to try to play the role more like she had at initial casting call months prior. However, she had gone through several personally defining situations in the intervening months and realized, to her horror, that she had not the slightest clue what she had done differently at the initial casting call. She didn't get the part. I don't know if this sounds at all interesting written out, but on screen, witnessing it, it was really very intriguing.

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

That is it michiruwater: It was something I never thought about before and now I wonder how often it happens over the time it takes to cast a show. (Also a part of me wanted the docu crew to interfere to help her...)

7. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The director should have told her what he wanted. Even without drama in your life you may not remember details from months ago. Sheesh!

I'm sorry but I don't understand the secretiveness. That was a spoiler?

8. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

That's just me Taf and only because I blew it before for others so I'm reluctant to say anything sometimes.

9. michiruwater

The plot of the movie revolves around the audience wondering which of the potential actors will get cast in the parts. So, yes, telling you that one of the actors we follow around for the movie does not get cast is kind of a spoiler. And of course I realize that some people who have seen the revival will go in knowing whom gets cast, but I for one did not.

And I just went along with Cachoo. :shuffle: But I also knew that writing it out would get that reaction. Seeing it onscreen was quite a bit different.

10. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

11. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I like Carrie's song about slashing the guys tires and taking a Louisville slugger to both headlights but I don't see her as Maria, at least not the way Maria has been portrayed so far. Although the real Maria was reputed to be quite a tyrant, and the Captain the gentler parent.

12. cruisin

Julie Andrews, she ain't. But, then, who is?

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm picturing Maria in short shorts going after the kids with that Louisville slugger. :scream:

14. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

This may be beating a dead horse, but there is a difference between the character & the actress who plays the character. The documentary came out 3 yrs ago. How many of us even see documentaries when they come out, much less 3 yrs later? You weren't talking about the character Sheila, you were talking about an actress who was up for the part. If someone wanted to research it they would be able to see what actress did get the part for the movie or play. I agree you shouldn't tell which characters got chosen for the movie but that wasn't the issue.

15. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Gypsy is one of my all-time favorite movies. I've seen a number of different revivals of it on Broadway, but I think I love the movie the most.

I loved the movie Cabaret.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Well, different strokes and all that, but I loathed the movie version of Cabaret. Saw it when it first came out and never, ever want to see it again.

My favorite movie musical is The Bandwagon. I'm glued to TCM whenever they show it.

17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Taf ---This whole spoiler/not spoiler issue was my doing and I do apologize for any problems it caused.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't think you should be sorry. You were trying to protect those who may have never heard of the documentary and would have wanted to see it without spoilers. Yes, finding out what happens to an actor auditioning is considered a spoiling when they are the subjects of the documentary and drive the narrative.

I understand where you're coming from taf2002, but I don't see why you need to attack Cachoo for being proactive. If you really wanted to know what happened without watching the documentary, all you had to do was request the person just tell you or say it with a spoiler tag.

19. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I don't think I attacked anyone. But thanks for chiming in.

20. Wyliefan

I don't think anyone's yet mentioned A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. The film is a bit rambling, but it has its charms, including a very young, very skinny Michael Crawford. :)

21. cruisin

i did, way back in the thread. I saw it on Broadway when I was a kid and in the movies a few years later. I thought it was so funny. of course I didn't get half of it, I was too young! :lol:

22. Wyliefan

Oh, sorry, cruisin, I missed that!

23. cruisin

S' okay! :) It was a good play, glad you saw it! Zero Mostel was incredible. He was best, however, as Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof.

24. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Someone upthread mentioned Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, which will actually make its Broadway debut early next year. Here's the cast performing at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

I love Laura Osnes. :swoon: (not the best recording, though)

25. cruisin

Thanks for those. I missed that part of the Macy's Parade on Thanksgiving. That is something for me to schedule with my daughter!

26. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I also enjoy "Bandwagon". Especially Triplets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODn_igbvFdg

Seems like we haven't discussed much that came before the "50s" We could go back to the earlier musicals. All the Broadway Melody movies, the Judy Garland movies, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, even Shirley Temple. Many were influenced heavily by Broadway. Jeannette McDonald/Nelson Eddy, Jimmy Cagney and on and on.

27. cruisin

Even further back, Ziegfield Follies and Busby Berkeley movies. Didn't Lucille Ball start out as a Ziegfield girl?

28. michiruwater

Um, no? I was talking about the actors and actresses the whole time. The plot of the documentary is watching the casting process for the show. Yes, the show itself is about a casting process as well, but the point of the documentary itself was watching to see which actors and actresses get cast as the characters in the show (that was part of why they did it - to view the casting process for a show about a casting process!). I said exactly what I meant. I didn't want to spoil anyone who didn't already know about which actress is cast for the role of Sheila in the documentary, because it is a major plot point of the documentary itself.