Musicals to Movies

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Personally I am not fond of musicals made into movies. I prefer musicals in the theater and movies on the screen, even though I have enjoyed many movies that were based on musicals. The successful ones are:

Chicago (I felt id did not deserve the best picture Oscar)

The sound of music (loved it!)

My Fair Lady (loved this too!)

Phantom of the opera (probably not as successful as many others; I liked it a lot better live)

Oliver! (I only vaguely remember the movie, and never saw it live)

South Pacific (IMO this one was better on the silver screen due to the magnificent scenery)

Camelot

Mama Mia! (not that successful, but I liked it- may have been better in a theater)

Beauty and the beast (definitely preferred the live theater to the animated movie)

There is a lot of talk about the about to be released Les Miserable, and it could be really good.

Which ones did I miss? I am sure there are many.

2. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Evita is another one. I loved it in the theatre but the movie's cinematography was breathtaking.

Grease and Dreamgirls .. loved both the stage and movie musicals

Rent .. not a personal favourite

3. Vash01

I never saw Evita in a theater; I wish I did when I had a chance to. Movies do have the advantage of outdoor cinematography, and huge sets compared to theater.

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

The Camelot movie was TERRIBLE. They took a whimsical musical fantasy and made it a slow, dragging fiasco of a movie. If ever there were a musical film that needed a remake, that's the one.

Beauty and the Beast was a film before it was a stage musical.

As for other stage musicals that became movies, there's Show Boat, Anything Goes, Oklahoma, Carousel, The King and I, Brigadoon, Pal Joey, West Side Story, Damn Yankees, Gypsy, The Pajama Game, Kiss Me Kate, Annie, Man of La Mancha, A Chorus Line, Hello Dolly, Funny Girl, and quite a lot more!

5. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

That's a good list. I would also add The Music Man.

6. Wyliefan

:duh: Oh RATS, I forgot The Music Man! I'm such an idiot!

ETA: And Fiddler on the Roof, too!

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I liked Little Shop of Horrors, Hairspray and Jesus Christ Superstar. Was Hairspray a movie first?

8. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

And isn't even the Broadway musical by Disney, too?

Grease also was a movie before it became a musical, wasn't it?

9. Vash01

I liked the 'King and I' as a movie, but I had seen it live in San Francisco in the 1980s, with Yul Bryner playing the king. Nothing could beat that experience.

10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Hairspray was a movie that was turned into a Broadway musical that was turned into a movie musical :lol:

I think WSS is probably the pinnacle of the movie musical, but that's just IMHO.

Phantom was the biggest damned disappointment of my entire life and I could write pages about all they ways they screwed that one up when it SHOULD HAVE BEEN AMAZING. Ugh.

I'm so excited about Les Mis I could cry.

I absolutely love Gypsy but mostly because Natalie Wood is so pretty (and the series of scenes showing her transformation into Gypsy Rose Lee via multiple strips that gain in confidence and pizzaz is AMAZING), and Rosalind Russell was PHENOMENAL.

My favorite movie musical of all time is Moulin Rouge!, though, which was never on Broadway.

11. Wyliefan

Same goes for The Producers, come to think of it!

Hear, hear.

12. icecat

icecat Active Member

Grease started out on the stage in a tiny theatre in Chicago called The Kingston Mines. The original was quite raunchy with lots of local humor. They sanitized it and rewrote it to have more"universal" appeal. and the rest, as they say, is history!

13. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The movie with Zero Mostel was hysterical. The stage musical was awful.

Another musical to movie was Promises, Promises which became The Apartment. I saw that on Broadway a few years ago with Kristen Chenowith & Sean Hayes.

I saw Phantom as a stage musical & then as a movie. I thought the movie was slightly better but didn't enjoy either of them. Andrew Lloyd Webber writes good music but his book leaves a lot to be desired.

14. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Loved the Broadway musical cast recording of Camelot ever since I was a kid, hated the movie version (Vanessa Redgrave can't sing)! Give me Julie Andrews (Richard Burton & Robert Goulet) any day! The Broadway cast recording is still my all time favorite Broadway musical. We did eventually get to see the revival on Broadway, but I wish I had had the opportunity to see it as a kid on Broadway. Love this musical so much that we've seen it many times locally - high school school shows and local professional theater.

I really liked the movie version of The Producers (the original with Zero Mostel), but I did enjoy the musical very much.

Were Gigi and 1776 Broadway musicals before they were made into movies? Love them both in movie form!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  15. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Not sure if you mistyped, but The Apt. was a 1960 movie and Promises was a late 60s musical based on it.

Also, paskatefan, 1776 was a stage musical first. Gigi (movie came first-didn't it later come to Bway?) is by Lerner and Loewe, has sometimes been compared to their MFL.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  16. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

^^^No, Gigi was not a movie first; the play first premiered in 1951, starring Audrey Hepburn; the movie wasn't made until 1958.

17. A.H.Black

I've always thought Gigi was one of the best. There are so many that could/should have been wonderful but weren't because of casting decisions - necessary or not. For example -

Brigadoon - should have been an all time classic but they chose Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse because of their dancing instead of concentrating on singing. (I had an album featuring Jack Cassidy and Shirley Jones when I was young and loved it) I love Gene Kelly, but I wanted a singer in this roll.

My Fair Lady - I don't think it has been listed so far. Most people know the story that Audrey Hepburn was cast because Julie Andrews was under contract to make Mary Poppins and that the studio couldn't/wouldn't wait for her. As much as I love Audrey Hepburn, I still think this was one of the most monumental mistakes in film history.

18. Wyliefan

That's true. However, it was a non-musical play at first. The music wasn't written until the movie was made.

One of the most interesting cases of play/musical/movie: There was a play called Parfumerie, which was developed into a non-musical film called The Shop around the Corner, and then a musical film called In the Good Old Summertime. Then it became a musical play called She Loves Me. And finally, it was used as the basis for the movie You've Got Mail. One of those inexhaustible sources of material!

(I don't think She Loves Me was ever made into a film. Pity -- it's delightful.)

As for Brigadoon, I can't EVER regret that casting, particularly because Gene Kelly is the love of my life. :D It may be very different from the stage version, and it's unfortunate that they cut some good songs, but "The Heather on the Hill" and "Almost Like Being in Love" are magnificent pieces of work. However, it's a great shame that they were forced to film on a soundstage instead of on location. The sets are the worst part of the whole thing.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  19. Vash01

It is listed in the original post.

I don't see the casting of Audrey Hepburn as "the most monumental mistakes in film history". Audrey was lovely and she portrayed Eliza very well. The knock on her was that she did not sing her songs. To me, it's not a big deal. I don't feel that an actor must be able to sing. For some others it may be a big deal. In the movie 'Ray', Jamie Foxx did not sing his songs either (though he can sing), but nobody seemed to mind that. IMO in the case of MFL it was seen more as a rejection of Julie than as acceptance of Audrey in that role.

20. Vash01

Has 'Can Can' been mentioned yet? I saw the movie but have only a vague memory of it. I think it was a musical before it was made into a movie.

21. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree Vash01 about musicals made into movies. I think musicals that work on the stage don't necessarily work on a movie screen just because a movie screen tends to make things very broad and sometimes the lack of a strong plot in a musical is really emphasized on screen whereas on the stage that can be supplemented by staging. My favorite movie musicals are probably Singin' in the Rain, My Fair Lady, and Oklahoma. I think the film version of Rent was horrid and really exposed the lack of depth in both the plot and most of the music. I'm looking forward to Les Miserables and hope it is effectively adapted for the screen. I think film directors make a mistake with movie musicals when they just throw up what was on stage on the screen and don't consider the specific demands of the film medium are different than those of the stage.

22. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Has "Flower Drum Song" been mentioned? I saw both the movie & the stage performance & tho't both were great.

23. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

What about the other direction: movies to musicals? Movies that were not musicals originally (or minimally so) that were then turned into big stage musicals. I know a couple of Disney ones have been mentioned already, but I'm thinking of ones like Spamalot, probably my favourite in this category -- as much as I love The Holy Grail, Spamalot was even better. I also thoroughly enjoyed the stage version of Victor/Victoria -- the movie did of course have a couple of songs but was not really a musical in the classic definition. And the stage version of Young Frankenstein was pretty great too.

I haven't seen Legally Blonde or Catch Me If You Can, but I understand both were/are pretty popular.

I agree that "the musical" is generally better in stage format than on screen -- aside from the dynamics of live performance, there's a suspension of disbelief that has to happen in a musical that's easier to achieve in theater than in film. But what I do like about the movie musical is the accessibility of it, particularly when it's big-name stars in the roles -- we don't all have the priviledge of getting to Broadway or the West End every year, y'know! And I also like how the film musical promotes the musical theatre genre. I'm sure a lot of people never saw a stage musical (unless they or their kids were involved in a school production) but then had their eyes opened because of a good movie version.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Wyliefan

I got to see Catch Me If You Can on Broadway and loved it. I don't think it got the acclaim it deserved. The score was terrific, and so were the performances. At least it's on tour now, so more people will get to see it.

25. A.H.Black

I agree. My problem is not with the inclusion of Audrey Hepburn but rather the lack of Julie Andrews. I know the film is good and it received tons of awards. However, given that the part was written specifically for Julie Andrews and that she had one of the truly beautiful voices ever and that she was in full voice and powers at the time - I will always think that the decision not to wait for her to be available was a huge mistake. What might we have seen? Yes, I know it's water under the bridge.

26. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Sweet Charity

27. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I thought it did get the acclaim. It was nominated in all the top categories for the Tonys and the Drama Desk Awards that year -- it just had the bad luck to be up against Book of Mormon. And Norbert Leo Butz won for best actor in both.

28. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

George Bernard Shaw wrote Pygmalian specifically for Julie Andrews? Somehow I don't think so. I have seen JA in lots of movies where I loved her performance (Victor/Victoria was brilliant) but I doubt she would have been more wonderful than Audrey Hepburn in MFL. I have always hated the controversy because I don't think anyone was dissing Julie Andrews - I believe it was business, not personal. AH was much better known than Julie at the time, & Marni Nixon was a very popular choice for Eliza's songs & had (IMO) just as good a singing voice. And Audrey was much prettier too.

29. Wyliefan

As a matter of fact, Alan Jay Lerner originally wanted Mary Martin as Eliza. The mind reels. :)

30. Wyliefan

No, it only got four Tony noms, and Butz was the only actor nominated. Mixed reviews, one Tony award, and a five-and-a-half-month run weren't nearly as much acclaim as it deserved, in my opinion.

I just hope the tour is a success.

(Sorry for the double post.)