Music you wish people would skate to.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Skater91, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Skater91

Skater91 Member

All these threads about music we never want to hear again but what do you actually want people to skate to then???

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

For competitive programs or exhibition?

Either way, I like to see music that hasn't been overused and that has some oomph. I tend to prefer something avant-garde as well. In general, I like stuff with an edge, and I just don't like "safe and boring."

Of course, if I think I'll ever see much of that in figure skating, I'm probably dreaming. :lol:

3. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

More interesting film scores than the standard popular ones we always get. Marianelli, Desplat or Mansell. Movies like The Fountain and Stoker have great scores.

4. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

duplicate post

6. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I've pretty much got a list of songs I would love to see used as exhibitions :p "Wash" by Bon Iver is probably the one I want to see used the most. WeaPo could pull it off!

http://youtu.be/lIZdKQZV_iU

7. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

Floyd, Zeppelin, anything voidy.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  8. misskarne

misskarne #408

Still rooting for Top Gun.

9. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

I second this! It's daunting music but it would be great if someone could pull that of!

11. princeton123

princeton123 Member

Wet by Snoop Dogg

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Waltz from Eugene Onegin. I always wanted Sasha to skate to it and she never did. Now I want Julia to. Darn it, one of my ubers has to listen to me one of these days, right? :D

13. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Several of the tracks from the Battlestar Galactica soundtracks composed by Bear McCreary -- his music is an untapped Gold Mine of skating music :swoon:.

14. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Movie soundtracks seemed to be used a little more in the past but skaters now don’t seem to use them as much. Maybe with the fan success of Hertado & Diaz FP, they will make more of a resurgence.

Two pieces that were in my head to use for years were The Piano – ultimately used by Del/Shoe, and November Rain. Which got used this year. Who would have ever thunk it? I was flabbergasted someone picked November Rain even if the version was meh. My November Rain was a dance FP.

Others that pop up my list - Aaron Copeland’s Appalachian Spring; Gershwin’s I’ve Got Rhythm; more Flamenco! less Tango; Beethoven’s Ode to Joy; Yanni’s Tribute and Nightingale; Prince’s Get Off (another FD)

15. princeton123

princeton123 Member

Lyrics being allowed next season in all four disciplines, not just ice dance, will definitely make the music choices more interesting (ie. worse)

16. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Lots of music.

Rite of Spring is a good one
    Sorcerer's apprentice
    Dance of the Hours

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

18. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I would love to see a good skater make this work. I think there is no brave choreographer & skater combination for this piece.

19. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Now that lyrics are going to be allowed, if any skater/team decides to use Metallica, please, for the love of god, use their actual music rather than any of the dreadful Muzak versions.

I know that a lot of their music would be too heavy/harsh for skating programs, but several of the tracks on their Metallica: S&M (Symphony and Metallica) double CD would work quite well. Michael Kamen did the composing for the symphonic aspects for it, and many of them are quite beautiful.

From Metallica: S&M. To hear and get the full effect of Kamen's contributions to this, please listen to the entire songs - most are far too long for any skating program, so editing down would be mandatory, and some of the best symphonic portions are further into the songs than the first minute or two:

Nothing Else Matters

The Ecstasy of Gold segueing into The Call of Ktulu (Part One) (used by Metallica as the Intro/Opening of their concerts, this was actually composed by Enrico Morricone from the movie "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly), but Michael Kamen's version is :swoon: :respec: ). The Call of Ktulu gets quite heavy as it progresses, but the beginning minutes of it are beautiful).

Wherever I May Roam

No Leaf Clover

Battery (Once the song kicks in (at around 1:10), it's definitely way too hard for a skating program, but the intro to it is amazing, and with the right editing/mixing, it could be epic)

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Sorcerer's apprentice was used by Stiegler & Zimmerman and it worked very well. I have not seen anyone else use it though.

21. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

In the words of the great Chazz Michael Michaels, "We're gonna dance to one song, and one song only: 'Lady Humps' by the Blackeyed Peas."

22. zippy

zippy Active Member

:lol: Can't wait for that!

I think the music from the 2005 Russian miniseries of the Master and Margarita has some really good skating music, particularly the tracks for Satan's Ball and Woland's Theme. Everything looks epic to that music (and whoever hasn't seen this series should at least check out the fire dance scene, it is everything). I think there have been a handful of junior skaters using this music in recent years such as the US dance team Elliana Pogrebinsky and Ross Gudis. I can picture Satan's Ball working for Stolbova/Klimov (kind of comedic music) and Radionova using Woland's theme one day once she gets a little more power. I even tried out watching her Nationals fs while muting her music and playing Woland's theme - it works, she could even keep the same dress!

23. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

Jun Y likes this.
  24. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

25. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

The "Game of Thrones" soundtracks are quite awesome as well. I always get goosebumps during the Opening

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Some Bollywood music. I remember how well it worked for D&W a few years ago (was it at the 2010 Olympics?)

27. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Beatrisa Liang also used it

28. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Romanian Rhapsody No. 1 by Enescu (needs someone who can do very fast flying camels)

Alborada del Gracioso by Ravel

Cuban Overture by Gershwin

Nuages by Django Reinhardt (heck, anything by Django!)

Incertitude by Babik Reinhardt

Abbadon's Bolero, Fanfare for the Common Man, Maple Leaf Rag, Pirates, Romeo and Juliet, and quite a few more by Emerson Lake and Palmer

Topsy Part 2 by Cozy Cole

Scatterbrain by Jeff Beck

Dizzy Spells by Benny Goodman (a showcase for an ace spinner!)

The Wild One opening titles

North by Northwest soundtrack

Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack

Miami Vice theme song

Prehistoric Man from the film On the Town

Jumpin' Jive by Cab Calloway (from film Stormy Weather, featuring the Nicholas Brothers)

Nearly anything by Helmut Lotti

Rod Stewart medley skated by Evgeni Plushenko (with Rod-styled hair.) Must include "Hot Legs."

falling_dance likes this.
  29. rosiekins

rosiekins New Member

I love the Braveheart soundtrack, and keep wishing that someone will skate to it!

30. quartz

quartz the moment is a masterpiece

This!:kickass::kickass: