Music that always works

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marco, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

As long as the music is nice (or pretty) enough it is very difficult to not work as a program. I don't think I have seen a Turandot program at the elite level that doesn't work. (Even with Meissner's jump troubles, that program of hers made me love her skating. And Sokolova's Olympic short in 2006 even made her skating look pretty!)

Same with Claire De Lune.

Any others? :D

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

For some reason, I almost always like every single Rach program. :shuffle:

3. pumba

pumba New Member

Definitely Turandot and Nutcracker. Both so beautiful and sugary that one does not need to skate good to get applause, because the music itself is gorgeous :watch:

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I would include the Nutcracker, but there was one program last year that literally made me fall asleep every single time I watched it. :coffee:

But Shen & Zhao and Cohen's performances :encore:

5. neptune

neptune New Member

Hey, and don't forget Tone Loc's "Wild Thing." That's always a sure bet. ;)

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It's depend on the skaters too though. Imagine skaters like Trixie Schuba, Kira Ivanova, etc. skating to Claire de Lune. I think you'll be bored to tears.

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

Out of Africa. Beautiful music. Did wonders for Savchenko/Szo. last year.

8. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Carmen. :p

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I was just going to mention Rach.

10. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap New Member

I think outside of skating uber fan circles overused music isn't as big of a deal. The repetitive use of music has many pros to it that have already been discussed ad nauseam. Yet, I don't think that choice advances figure skating unless the skater has something new and profound to add which typically isn't the case :slinkaway Aside from lack of super stars, money, and advertising, what skating is lacking is a way to keep current. Some skaters include instrumental pop that's more present day mainstream, but even that is suspect for how well it works with skating.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  11. Blair

Blair New Member

Yes, but arguably the music would have been very hard to carry if it weren't for their outstanding ability to interpret and their spotless elements.

I always thought Out of africa would be a terrible choice for a weaker skater/team because it requires the program and choreography to build with a very slow and soft theme. Not an easy thing to do, IMO.

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch New Member

Don't agree. Also loved Jill Trenary's slow part to her 87 LP set to Out of Africa.

13. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I love "My Sweet and Tender Beast" I don't care who skates to it...but Sasha and B/S are two of my favorites. I have a cut of the music (which was hard to find a few years ago) on my iPod

Romeo and Juliet is gorgeous...but can be butchered so horribly...as can so many of the operas and ballets. There should be a law against it!

Otonal I always love (which kinda scares me for some reason).

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

- Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini: no matter who skates to it, it usually always works well. both TTMM and P/T are examples in 2004. I even preferred Rachael Flatt's slow section to that music last season, than the slow section of the previous yr's LP...lol!
    - Phantom of the opera: fan-friendly, with enough highs and lows that could suit any skater that is lyrical, theatrical, or the truck driver ones.
    - Pearl harbour, i felt better towards Yankowskas/Coughlin, after i saw their LP surprisingly. V/M as well.

15. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to say it, Scherezade usually works out well. Also Totentanz/Danse Macabre, I have seen a number of different people skate to those two songs and I've liked all the versions well enough. Oh and Libertango.

16. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Any and all Puccini. :encore:

17. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Requiem for a Dream ;)

(I mean, 3 million skaters can't be wrong....)

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Didn't work for Ando/ Asada

I agree with My Sweet and Tender Beast!

Nina Rota's version is much easier to work with, the Tchaikovsky version is much harder to work with and both Arakawa's and Sokolova's versions were dull. Even Kulik's (and I love Kulik)

Speaking about Kulik, what about Gershwin? Kulik, Lysacek and Kim all brought it home skating to Gershwin.

Otonal hasn't worked since the original. No one can beat the Bute. :encore:

Actually I don't think I have ever truly enjoyed any program using either Rhapsody or Variations on a Theme by Paganini.

Agree about Danse Macabre and Libertango. They even worked for Drtyt and Liashenko!

I would agree more about Scherezade if not for the heartache in 2002. :eek: Both Slutskaya's and Oda's Totentanz made me cringe.

19. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I wish someone would skate to the original Liszt piece.

20. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

21. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

"Keep On Working" by Pete Townsend, "Working Man" by Rush.

22. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Overused in the 90s and can tend toward the schmaltzy (sorry Jun ;) ) but usually successful if you like that kind of thing.

I did like the music cuts in this version.

How can you not like these dances? :D

23. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

The true original is a Gregorian chant "Dies Irae" that was used in various forms by hundreds of composers before Liszt utilized it.

24. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Nino Rota, La Strada. R&K were amazing in 94 and Takahashi's was superb. It demands a great sense of musicality but no one who lacks CH ability would ever tackle it.

Has any lady ever used it?

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  25. poths

poths Well-Known Member

Also, Harlem Nocturne ...... guaranteed to make anyone a :smokin: void.

26. piano18

piano18 New Member

If this was 2006, Requiem for a Dream for sure!! But since then my mind is becoming
    programmed to liken this music to mediocrity every time a skater/team, especially lesser
    teams skate to this music. Moreso the senior skaters, rather than the supposedly less
    mature juniors. lol. Either the team/skaters produce a dead soulless interpretation, no
    personality, zero interest blablablab. Or, others just have bad choreography to go along
    with the music. Either case, ANY case with any piece when beautiful music suffers such
    an indignity such as bad choreography or whatever the case may be :mad: I want to
    blacklist the music choice for everyone.

27. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

:rofl: thanks for bringing that up. funny how i still remember it so vividly since the first time i watched it. i thought it was one of the more artistic FD's of that season.

28. piano18

piano18 New Member

What hilarity! Awesome!

29. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Triple Butz, you just blew my mind; I just wrote a grad school Music History paper about the use of "Dies Irae" in Berlioz's Symphonie fantastic. Are you also a music teacher or something???

I agree that some original Lizst music would be nice. There is SO much music out there that would work very well for skating, but we never seem to hear it.

30. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

Moonlight Sonata