Music Suggestions for New Short Dance?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Tak, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure what the requirements are, but from what I read there will be one pattern of the Golden Waltz CD [obviously done to a waltz] which can come anywhere in the dance, not just at the beginning. Then there are a few elements which must be included, but the rhythm doesnt have to be a waltz, and the whole thing does not have to be in the ballroom style [but I assume the GW part does - I cant imagine how it couldnt be a ballroom style].

I would love to see somebody use the waltz from Midsomer Murders - it starts off as a normal, lilting ballroom type waltz [perfect for GW], but as it goes on it becomes increasingly eerie/creepy and by the end it's really sinister. It's a very dark waltz [perfect for the show] and I think with the right choreographer could make a modern, very interesting, non-ballroom SD, with a strong POV and artistic cohesion [rather than disparate elements thrown together to music].

Any other suggestions?

Can anyone see a way to change the music [from a waltz to something else] without making the transition too jarring?

2. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I think that music suggestion sounds kind of cool, if not exactly "uplifting"! Question: If the rhythm of the music doesn't have to be a waltz, can the skaters do the steps of the Golden Waltz, but adapted to a different rhythm? I'm a really low level ice dancer, but my partner and I often do waltzes in 4/4 time just for fun. Would that be allowed?

3. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I don't think it's allowed. I believe I read that the music doesn't have to be a waltz but the rhythm must be 3/4 time.

ETA: I read the communication regarding the Short dance. Best I can interpret...the Golden Waltz portion of the SD must be in 3/4 waltz time but the "creative" section of the SD (that's what they are calling it) can be waltz, foxtrot, tango, or quickstep. So I'm guessing the music during the creative part could be in different time. To me the most jarring combination would be waltz/tango. Waltz/quickstep would probably work pretty well. Although I would put the waltz section first there.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see what the teams come up with for the Short Dance.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  4. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

The effect of this year's short dance will probably be like the "Grand Ball" OD of 2003, except the Waltz part will have a compulsory showing up in it.

Which was a really nice OD year.

5. ~tapdancer~

I know. My favorite one that year was B/K.

6. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Maybe someone will choose Baroque music then. :D Or would that be sacrilege after DenStav's lovely OD from that year?

7. ~tapdancer~

Searching through youtube, there are about a million waltzes! Lots of beautiful music.
    Here's a few I posted over in the D/W thread for some I'd love to see them use. But it made me realize that there is lot of music for the dancers to pick from so there should be a good variety...I hope.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcvNEqrp-MM
    Addams Family Waltz
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOGEFNtQoK8
    Amelie (Disney scenes)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcYwFCNFEo8
    Sleeping Beauty
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pPdlG6jc-E
    Potter's Waltz (Harry Potter)
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOV7yWEv54o
    Prokofiev - Cinderella's Waltz
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPp3Qh-GRqs
    Masquerade Waltz

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Let me guess, they were trying to simplify it. :duh:

9. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Along similar lines, I have been wondering if Danse Macabre might work?

10. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

Actually, there are plenty of possibilities.
    It is possible to modify the tempo of existing records to fit the requirements of the ISU and either let the music continue at its real pace afterwards or change music or ...

You just have to seek for a music with the right rythm and a tempo close to the requirement and modify it afterwards.
    I've searched in my own ipod and I've found some that I'd like the french dancers to use.
    Le manège by Stanislas
    Le tourbillon de la vie by Vanessa Paradis (I've played with this one to make a part fit with the tempo of the golden waltz ; it works)
    J'envoie valser by Olivia Ruiz
    Ma maison by Emily Loizeau
    Tout ça me tourmente by Benjamin Biolay
    La valse des adieux by La Grande Sophie
    T'es beau by Pauline Croze
    Quand je suis ivre by Pauline Croze
    Monsieur by Carmen Maria Vega
    Aux sombres héros de la mer by Noir Désir

All of them very recent, all of them useable.
    Too bad some of my faves of the moment are too slow or too fast
    But there are stuff. Dancers and coaches just have to dig a bit, even if I'm not confident they will.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  11. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

12. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

If they could arrange it to fit the GW requirements I think that might make a great program.

I'm hoping we dont just get a lot of boring ballroom waltzes - but that people try to do something different and more challenging with it.

13. elfenblüte

elfenblüte New Member

I would love a SD with this song!:) It is sooo beautiful!! <3

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

John Cage 4'33"

15. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

At least it would be easy to cut!

16. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that the ISU is encouraging more "popular" music to fall along the lines of what "Dancing With the Stars" and "So You Think You Can Dance" are doing.

Here's hoping for some interesting variety.

17. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Yes, that is correct! The ISU communications regarding the Short Dance actually encourages the use of more modern music (including vocals) similar to DWTS waltz music. We shall see if this becomes the case. As long as a waltz rhythm is contained within the selection, the possibilities could become very interesting.

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

19. DORISPULASKI

20. literaryfreak

I've never liked the DWTS format so the idea that the ISU would like the Short Dance to be similar to it is a bit revolting to me (is there a vomit icon?). I guess it will all depend on what music skaters choose. If there are top 40 hits involved...:scream:

21. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Me too... even though Aliya Mustafina (Russian gymnast) has reduced some of her choreography from last year she still has an enjoyable program to Hijo de la Luna.

22. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

So could some couple use Take the A Train, say? A music student once told me A Train is a waltz [even thought it doesnt sound like one to me.] That might make an interesting and jazzy number.

23. Conga

Conga New Member

Just curious. What is it you find so revolting?

24. altai_rose

altai_rose Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to see an ice dance program to Viktor Gavrilin's waltz from the ballet Anyuta. I seem to remember that 2 Russian junior girls skated to it last year or the year before... but their choreography didn't impress me. Because the dance could be so beautiful and charming!

Here's Ekaterina Maximova and Vladmir Vasiliev dancing their (legendary) version:
    Waltz from Anyuta

25. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

It's a very pretty melody, and as music I like it, but I am hoping to see some programs with a little more PoV and artistic/emotional input that rises above being just another lilting, ballroom waltz - or for me the SD will be a snoozefest.

I also wasnt impressed with that DWTS clip - to me it was two people dancing not all that gracefully to music that didnt suit their movements all that well, with no connection at all between them and some very insipid choreography to boot. I am certainly hoping for something better than that from the ice dancers.

26. literaryfreak

I don't find the idea of waltzes done to Vanessa Carlton (as in the clip Doris posted) to be all that appealing, even though I don't mind Vanessa Carlton and used to listen to her music when I was younger. The whole "using popular music" thing seems like pandering to increase viewership.

It could be done cleverly with interesting pieces of music...but I could also see it turning out terribly if people use cheap pop hits. :scream:

27. DORISPULASKI

I just want to say that I didn't like the clip either-but if the ISU has mentioned that they like the DWTS format, that's how the format works out with the Viennese waltz-so that's why I gave the link.

They want some pop sung remastered to have a clear waltz beat. :p

28. literaryfreak

Oh, I was assuming you didn't like the clip too (since you didn't comment on it ;)) and that you were posting it purely for information sake, and also as an opposite extreme to shan's. I probably shouldn't have assumed that without mentioning it but it turns out I was right :lol:.

Yeah, this is what makes me want to :scream:. If skaters pick thoughtful, interesting music, it might not be so bad. The one bright side to CDs disappearing is that we won't have to listen to the same old 5 tracks on repeat. The GW tracks were doubly :scream: :scream: for me.

29. Conga

Conga New Member

Well, I guess I can say that I feel the same way about the top 40 SKATING hits :rolleyes:...Carmen, etc, etc, etc.:scream::scream::scream:

30. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Don't say I'm the only one who listens to the Yankee Polka CD tracks for fun! Love them!

I also quite liked the Finnstep tracks... :slinkaway