Music for 11yo Juv Skater - ideas?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Jozet, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

First, if there is a thread out there that already covers this question, a link would be great. Thanks! :)

Daughter has a program right now, but is starting to look for something different. Her last two programs have been a bit more lyrical - she's skated to a Shostakovich Waltz and now to Kingdom Hearts. Both have been good choices because they've encouraged *her* to be a bit more lyrical, but I think she wants something this time with a bit more zing and punch.

Anyone have any thoughts on artists or albums we should listen to?

Coach is very open and thinks that it's important that my daughter first connects to the music, but we are practical do keep an ear open for music that is dynamic with cuts to carry through all the elements of a program.

Daughter is 11 but looks a bit older. She's a very athletic skater, and again, while she's working on being more lyrical, I think she wants to try something that fits her style right now, as well. There are some rock orchestrations she likes, and we've listened to one or two Trombone Shorty songs that are interesting, but not sure how they'd translate to a Juv length program and Juv elements. She likes this one, but it might be a bit too, too much...? (Also, maybe too much vocalization.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoZhBKZhmT4

Or maybe some balkan/gypsy? Not sure where to start looking.

Again, any thoughts, ideas, points in a direction would be great!

2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

In case she wants to go the Eastern/Balkan folk rote, the soundtrack to Bandyta would be a good place to start. I always liked it a lot and it definitely hasn't been overused in skating. I think Berankova and Dlabola are the only ones to have skated to it, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izVy5a_iSOs

3. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Oh, that's good! I'll check this out more! Thanks!

4. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

I thought that music was very fun!! Good idea and not overly used!

There is a girl at our rink who does this cool guitar piece its so fun and cute! The trombone is unique which is always nice!

5. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I thought so, too, on both counts! It's not "grabbing" my daughter, though, but there are a few other cuts on the album that could work. Definitely not a lot of programs done to brass jazz, heavy on the drums. :D

She's a little self-conscious about being too "out there". I think maybe if she plays it at the rink and gets a good response, she might go for it.

However, I'm still looking for more suggestions. :)

6. MusicSkateFan

MusicSkateFan New Member

I watched a young girl (11 or 12) skating to a medley from "The Producers" It was disturbing to say the least when the majority of the music was from "Springtime for Hitler in Germany!" What was that coach thinking!

Also: young girls skating to "Chicago" People, please! that musical is about women using their bodies to get what they want...it is not cute-sie. This is whore's music!
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Music with slide whistles, trombone glissando and ratchet grinds are just awful IMHO! Esp when the skater falls right before one of the musical effects!

7. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Check out stuff by Bond...I love their version of "Kashmir." :)

8. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Good point, lol!

I don't want anything too old for her. I don't think she'd go for anything that required a lot of "flirting" anyway. There seems to be a phenomenon that happens with some young female skaters that when they begin to develop, they suddenly begin skating with rounded shoulders. That tends to be my daughter. If we told her that she was going to have to "shake it" in any way to her music, she wouldn't step foot on the ice again. :)

9. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Thanks! Will do! I haven't heard Bond's version of Kashmir in a while at any competitions, so maybe we can use it. :)