Moving Worlds to April... permanently.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by millipied, Apr 29, 2011.

1. millipied

millipied New Member

This might be jumping ahead as two more disciplines to go but so far it looks like this is one of the best Worlds quality-wise in recent history. Now it could be just coincedence but I also feel like the move to April could have played significant part here. And if that's the case, shall ISU consider the permanent move?
    I wonder what skaters think about it. And what do you guys think?

2. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

no.

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

No. Skaters are humans, not machines. Skaters need time off after Worlds to earn a little money for their ongoing training (if they can), followed by some much-needed down time. Then they have to start working on programs for next season and prepare for the summer comps, which begin in June and run through September.

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Non.

5. Civic

Civic New Member

Are any of the major American networks or ESPN covering Worlds this year?

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

No - Universal Sports is the only way to see Worlds on US television

7. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

On the other hand, a lot of skaters were compelled to rest some before the Worlds in order not to overtrain- and it seems that many people came to Moscow rejuvenated. I realize it is probably not realistic because of the shows, and the need for a break before choreographing new programs, but perhaps taking it easy for a couple of weeks between January and Worlds is good for minds and bodies? I know in other performance- related disciplines it is very useful to step away for a short period of time in- between intensive training.

8. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I see your point, but let's see how rejuvenated they will feel when they will have to start creating their new programs without taking a break at all. :scream:

9. millipied

millipied New Member

Well, the season could start in October? GPs through Dec, National and Continental events in Dec-Jan and Worlds in April.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

No. Keep it in March.

11. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

If it means Universal Sports will always deliver the amount of tv coverage I am currently getting, then I'm all for the idea! The original tv schedule for the championship in March had MUCH LESS coverage.

12. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I see your point as well. The year is short. But maybe if athletes themselves see the advantages, it would be something to consider.
    The level of execution at Moscow Worlds is out-of-the- ballpark so far. Could also be a coincidence, though.

13. luCN

luCN New Member

I hope not.There are too many BIG matches in April,we can't see figure skating worlds here,because they broadcast Snooker or Soccer..

14. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

What Asli said. It gets another no to April from me.

15. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Nah. Most people are too tired by April.

16. millipied

millipied New Member

LOL, that's my point. It does not loook like it.

17. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

No - the NHL playoffs are on - that's a major conflict in Canada.

18. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

Over the past 15 years or so, the season has become too long overall, IMHO. Fall competitions were not this important before the Grand Prix series was created, and summer competitions were REALLY not important before they started being used as monitoring for fall internationals, at least in the U.S. It used to be fairly common that even elite skaters did one or two low-key internationals in the fall, their national championships, Euros for European skaters, and then Worlds. Now, skaters may do a few summer competitions, maybe a Senior B, two Grand Prixes, GPF, national championships, Euros/4Cs, Worlds, Team Trophy - and they're expected to be in top form for each. Personally, I believe that the human body and the human psyche can't maintain peak conditioning for that long, and yet we expect our skaters to hit 6-7 triples in a competition setting from August/September until March. I think this Worlds is showing - so far - the benefits of being able to take a break from "high in-season" conditioning instead of maintaining it from December to March.

Should Worlds be moved to April permanently? Probably not. Should we, as a community, have a serious discussion about the current structure of the elite season and the long-term consequences of asking skaters to compete so many times over so long a period of time? Probably yes. The true off-season has disappeared, and while the trade-off is income for skaters (from prize money and shows) that wasn't available before the mid-90s, the fatigue and wear-n-tear on the skaters is enormous. And look what great skating we see when they have the chance to train properly!

(Um, not that I feel strongly about this or anything... :slinkaway)

19. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the only one who likes it in April. I like having the break. In March I feel like I've seen the programs so many times, in April they seem fresh again.

However, I wouldn't move it permanently unless the skaters wanted to. As athletes they need an off-season to rest.

20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

How was this year's Worlds so superior quality-wise to previous years? I'll allow that the top two in both disciplines were in fine form, but I thought it was widely agreed that Gachinski medalled mostly because most of the men made serious mistakes, and quite a few pairs looked out of sorts, too. The ladies event earlier today wasn't unusually good, either. I wouldn't take the high scores in the men's event as evidence of high quality; it looks like the panel was a bit GOE-happy.

Also, while postponing Worlds allowed some skaters time to heal from injuries, it meant that others had to continue training with injuries for a longer period of time, so that neither adds not subtracts.

I see no reason to move Worlds to late April permanently. The skaters need a break, and while (if I understand correctly) the plan is to have a WTT each April, that's a lot less pressure than Worlds and includes fewer skaters.

21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

From a competitive stand point it seems to be a wise decision to move it to April. The extra few weeks obviously made a big difference. We have seen some great skating. However, I don't think it would be the best for those skaters who try to earn a living as soon as the season ends. It takes away a month of their time to make money and/or gives them less time off and to prepare for the next season.

22. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

No. The season is too long for the skaters, the shows have to hit the road - and yes, it's hockey playoff season in Canada!!

23. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Imagine an April Worlds during an Olympic year. How many skaters would show up?

24. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

No. The skaters need to rest, and they do shows, etc.

25. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I don't see it happening. It adds another month to the training expenses, forces some skaters to hunt for rink time as many facilities reduce operations at the end of March, and interferes with the rhythm of the season. There's already a gap between the scheduled Olympic time and Worlds. Increasing that gap won't benefit anyone but the injured.

26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Not even that, necessarily - extra time helps skaters who are on the mend and just need more time to recover (e.g. V/M) but works against skaters who are injured and holding on until the end of the season to have surgery or take a break (I think Joubert and Takahashi fall into that group).