Movies that look stupid but turn out good.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by bek, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I think I liked it so well, because of Toothless lol. I loved that dragon.

2. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

The dragons were pretty good. It was the humans that ruined the movie...

3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

He's 11. What's the name of that film there were so many commercials for last year? It was animated and seemed to be about some guy whose house went flying somewhere.

Obviously I don't know my movies very well. :p

4. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

"Hoodwinked" My 10-yr old wanted to see a movie, and I thought that if I had to sit through a bad kid's movie, I wanted to pick something that had a short running time. I was very pleasantly surprised. We actually own it on dvd.

5. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

"Up" Another great one.

6. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Up! Now that was a good one. Although an 11 y.o. boy might like the dragons better.

7. milanessa

Thanks. :)

8. wickedwitch

wickedwitch Well-Known Member

Pirates of the Caribbean - a movie based on a theme park ride? I was convinced it would be awful.

9. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Up - which was totally awesome, the story line was wonderful. About a young boy throughout his lifetime. Rfisher had recommended. DH was uh, we got a animated DVD? by the end of the movie, he had been totally involved with the plot and said that was a good movie.

10. milanessa

Thanks. It must be good since this is the 3rd recommendation. Up it is. :)

11. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I agree with almost all of these comments so I stopped multi-quoting. It would have been obnoxious.

My reply to the person who said The Proposal with Sandra Bullock is this. :respec: The scene with Betty and Sandra in the woods made that movie for me. :rofl:

12. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Me too. :slinkaway

13. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

ITA, some people will disregard this movie the moment they see it stars Ben Stiller, usualy they are not people I enjoy either.

I think I watched in the theatre and on tv as well, it's quite good.

Here's another vote against Sideways, it wasn't good at all, I bought it in a dvd pack along with The Full Monty (Robert Carlyle :rocks:) and Little Miss Sunshine, fortunately these two are great movies.

14. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I thought How to Train Your Dragon was cute, mostly because Toothless reminded me of my puppy.

15. talulabell

talulabell New Member

I have to say, I did not think that I'd enjoy Mama Mia at all, but my Mom wanted to see it, and she talked me into it. I am almost ashamed to admit it, but I loved it. :shuffle: It was just downright fun! And now I have it on Blu Ray.

Another one that really sticks in my mind is Harry Potter (1 or 2). I had no interest. It was a kids movie, why would I want to go see it (I was in my 30s for goodness sakes! LOL). A friend wanted to see Harry 3 for her birthday, so she made me watch 1 and 2 on DVD before hand, and I just loved them. It made me look forward to 3, and then of course, I had to read all the books one after the other. LOL!

16. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

ITA. Just like Tropical Thunder. :rofl: Both are hysterical.

I never liked the Toy Story series until a friend of mine took me to the cinema this year and we watched all 3 movies in Disney 3D. I fell in love with them.

17. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Loved Sideways, The Proposal, Mamma Mia, Galaxy Quest, etc.

I died laughing when Paul Giamatti's character freaked out about not drinking Merlot, near the restaurant. Then of course when the naked guy runs out the door. Hilarious. And it's funny, because I didn't think I'd like the movie and ended up loving it.

and I've seen Mamma Mia at least 10 times....for a while I watched it every time it came on HBO lol

18. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

This is true. The previews made it look totally unappealing to me. My son made me watch it and I laughed and laughed.

But one of my all-time favorite movies, The Blues Brothers, got really horrible reviews.

19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I normally hate pirate movies, and I had said that even Johnny Depp wouldn't make me see it. However had time to kill so paid for it and had the best time.

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction. Paul Giamatti is one of my favourite actors, and Alexander Payne (screenwriter/director) does awesome work, but that movie.....what an unlikeable bunch of characters doing annoying things.

I really liked Galaxy Quest but I expected to like it because it makes fun of sci-fi geeks, so it doesn't count :p But I agree re Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one). I thought it would be another CGI-ed up Disney excuse to sell action figures, but I was bored on a plane trip so I watched it. It actually had a plot and great acting and was entertaining to watch.

I also didn't expect to like Shrek, because I thought it would be geared to kids and be another thinly disguised toy ad. But I saw the second one (again on a plane) and laughed my head off. And then I dragged Mr. Overedge to see it in the theatre and we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

21. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

My teen son recently rented She's Out of My League with Jay Baruchel (I'd never heard of him, but apparently he works with Seth Rogen and others). I expected raunchy, sophomoric humor, and there is some, but overall I thought the film was hilarious and charming.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Monsters, Inc.

23. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, he also voices the main character in How to Train Your Dragon.

(I considered it a movie that looked stupid but ended up being good, but it looks like I'm in the minority!)

24. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I saw How To Train Your Dragon on the recommendation of a bunch of pre-K students. I was doing art projects with them--they were supposed to incorporate the school mascot, Alliegator, into their drawing and then make up a story. There were two groups who named every single thing on the page "Toothless." I figured I couldn't pass up such high praise.

I thought it was a good movie for kids that had decent animation. I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was fantastic. DreamWorks is definitely not up to Disney/Pixar yet.

25. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I liked How to Train Your Dragon, although I agree it's not up to Pixar level. As far as Dreamworks films I actually enjoyed Kung Fu Panda more that How to Train Your Dragon. Again, not up to Pixar level, but I thought it was funnier and livelier than How to Train Your Dragon. The flying scenes were great though.

26. Kukucachoo

Kukucachoo New Member

When I found out how little dialogue there was in the first 1/2 of Wall-E, I thought I would be bored to tears with my little nieces. Instead I saw a captivating romance. Lesson: If it says Pixar--see it. The last 2 dvd's I purchased were Wall-E and Up. Another vote for Galaxy Quest though the supporting characters (specifically Sam Rockwell and Missy Pyle (sp?) were favorites for me. And if you like Patrick Dempsey- years ago he made a movie called Some Girls starring w/ Jennifer Connelly. I thought it would be your typical teen romance movie but it was not. Sometimes I really enjoy movies that go off the rails a bit but still satify and enertain.

27. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Wall-E was a beautiful movie and definately surpassed my expectations.

The other one that was so much better than what I thought it would be was Enchanted. Absolutely charming.

28. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Galaxy Quest is one of my favorite movies evah.

29. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Movies that I thought would be stupid but ended up actually being really good include The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Clueless, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Elf, The Wedding Singer, Borat, Blades of Glory (which I genuinely like), Old School, Fever Pitch, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby...

I'd originally watched some of these films due to my husband or brother-in-law's interest, but now I pretty much know that if it's got Will Ferrell, Judd Apatow, or Paul Rudd involved, I should probably just see it. :lol: And it's not that I like Will Ferrell. But what can I say? The man's funny when he's in the right type of film.

30. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Love this thread.
    I like Sideways, did not love it.
    Blues Brothers - is a classic, one of my favs 'We're on a mission from God'
    Galaxy Quest - went in to with expectations and lmao

Some people who know me think I am nuts. I go to a film club that sees movies before they are released (usually foreign, indie, small films, many oscar contenders) and think I am snobby, but love movies like Animal House, Blues Brothers, The Hangover (just loved it) and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

I loved Blades of Glory, like many of Will FErrell movies, so stupid, but just so funny.
    I so agree anything with Will Ferrell, Apatow or Rudd - go see - they are just fun movies.
    This past winter, when going to a movie with a friend and between what one of us had seen - Sherlock Holmes was the only one available to us. Went in with low expectation, but really enjoyed that movie.
    Mamma Mia - silly, but a fun movie, but again went in with low expectation.
    I find for me, if my expectation is too high, I get disappointed.