Motivational Books, Speakers, etc...at work

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PDilemma, Apr 3, 2010.

1. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

How many of you have been exposed to motivational books, speakers and programs at work? Which ones? What do you think about them?

Some examples of books/programs--

Who Moved My Cheese?
    How Full is Your Bucket?
    Color Your Parachute.
    8 To Great
    Zig Ziglar
    Tony Robbins
    When Fish Fly

I know there are many more.

2. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

If when fish fly is the one where they talk about working at a fish market and how awesome that is.. then I've seen a video version of that one - but that may be something completely different. I remember it had to do with FISH and it was motivational. At the time I enjoyed it because it was far better than how our meetings usually go (where our boss reads us memos that we could have easily read on our own for 90% of the time and then things we actually need to discuss we run out of time to do). Sometimes we get motivational books as Christmas gifts, etc. Gonna be honest - haven't read a single one of them cover to cover, but have read a couple chapters here or there.

3. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

The schools here do FISH as a motivational...thingy. I think they just like to draw fishbowls. You have to say the four fish statements every day after the pledge. I'd rather flush it all down the toilet.

I've found motivational books do little to motivate anyone except the person writing it. I find most of them to be cliched crap written in the most generic, general terms that could apply to everything and nothing. Motivational speakers, IME, waste time and money and mostly leave you feeling drained and wanting your mommy and a nap.

Read the first three, and some Fish for Educators pamphlets. :blah:

4. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I have attended many seminars and meetings over my working career and although for some its helpful I found them to be quite distracting and chaotic. I don't need being worked into a frenzy to be motivated, sometimes the simple is better. I have also read many inspirational writings and find Deepak Chropra to be my favorite, its far less frenzied and keeps you far better grounded.

5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else???