Most silly name of a skating element?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Poggi, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Poggi

Poggi wannabe flower-girl

I've been wondering. In Hungarian, as toe-loop until very recently was called in a literal translation "stabbed Rittberger", and anyone over the age of 30 has most probably heard it in TV sometime and found it hilarious.

So whenever anyone mentions figure skating in a non-fan community, someone will of course make the same, not too funny joke: "Two dead men are laying on the ice, what's that? / A double stabbed Rittberger"

Are there any similar annoying stupidities in your language? It'd feel much better to know we are not alone in our misery :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Wally of course.

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Twizzle- sounds like swizzle of swizzle stick

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

No wait - the silliest name was the Mike Pike. That someone could take a Teapot or Shoot the Duck (rather silly names themselves) and then try to claim credit for it by naming it after themselves, then to have it named in a slow mo of an international skating competition, really did take the cake.

5. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Not that I was a fan of the Mike Pike, but no one was doing a Shoot-the-duck in the Fratianne sit-spin position, which Mike did. I mean the "Hamill Camel" was really just a flying camel sinking down into a sit spin.

6. Mafke

Mafke New Member

I would say a majority of skating terms sound silly in english, it's just that english speakers are used to silly sounding names so they don't dwell on how silly they are. Speakers of other languages assume the names don't sound dumb in English when they do.

lutz or flutz
    salchow (usually pronounced sow cow where sow = female pig)
    shoot the duck
    death spiral (hardly looks very dangerous)
    camel spin
    axel (sounds like axle on a car)
    toe walley (what the? note: walley sounds like wally, once a popular boys name that now sounds kind of silly)
    twizzle

silly names all

7. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

shoot the duck (I like ducks, so I don't like the violent nature of the name). I have nothing against the skating position, though.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Butt spin.
    Then again, it isn't a real skating term.
    What is it supposed to be called?

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

"I'm ready for a good time" spin?

10. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

:lol:

11. crystalice

crystalice Banned Member

Figure skating.

Figure is usually stative. :confused:

12. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

hydrant position

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Choctaw and Mohawk have always baffled me. All the other turns seem to be named after the shape they draw (3-turn, bracket, loop, okay twizzle isn't...)

As for Salchow- it's named after a person, so I don't think that's any weirder than "Besti Squat" (which just sounds awful, IMO). But I do have the cutest shirt that has a cow and pig in ice skates...

14. Pierre

Pierre New Member

A-frame spin/A-spin/Sandhu

15. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

half loop. Still rotates a full rotation.

16. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Thank you.
    It's funny I've never even heard of the term A-frame. I guess butt spin is way more popular.

17. Skittl1321

Yeah- that's a very good point. Especially when practicing "half of a loop"- (loop landing forward) gets confusing what the coach is asking for.

18. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

You are aware that Lutz, Salchow, and Axel are proper, given names for the men who invented the jumps those names reference? Alois Lutz, Ulrich Salchow and Axel Paulsen, of Austria, Sweden and Norway.

Also, supposedly the Walley jump is named after a skater by the name of Nate Walley.

19. pp55

pp55 Member

It's called "Euler jump" in artistic roller skating.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  20. mkats

mkats New Member

Not skating, but I always loved this line on gymnast Li Xiaopeng's wiki page:

21. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

In the U.K. and perhaps elsewhere in Europe, the toe loop is sometimes called the "cherry flip," which suggests .... well, send me a PM if you don't know what it suggests. ;)

In Russian, the same element is called the "тулупу," which sounds like "toe loop" but means "sheepskin coat."

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  22. skatemommy

Choctaw and Mohawk are American Indian terms. I once knew why they related to skating moves but alas memory fails.

I've heard of the butt spin more politely called the "barstool" spin.

Euler - ??? not much of an improvement on 1/2 loop! :lol:

23. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Yes, of course. That doesn't change the fact that lutz (and the associated flutz), sow-cow and axel/axle are funning sounding names for me.

In other news, I thought they called the a-frame spin a 'strawberry picker' too.

I'd totally forgotten Besti squat (sounds like a prenatal exercise).

24. Mafke

Mafke New Member

IIRC Choctaw and Mohawk were chosen for mnemonic reasons. Both a two footed change of direction turns. For the mohawk the skater maintains the same edge and for the choctaw the skater changes edge.

25. Skittl1321

I am aware that they are tribe names (the Mohawk are from the New York area, the Choctaw the South), I'm not saying they are weird words, they are weird skating terms.

If it is true that they were chosen for mnemonic for maintain and change, the turns might as well be named Mulberry and Cherry, or car and motorcycle, or any other M and C. I maintain that mohawk and choctaw are weird names for turns.

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I always thought Bunny hop was a rather silly name for a move. That's not how bunnies really jump, but it does help to identify a move when there is a name associated with it. Makes it easy to talk about it.

27. skatemommy

I realize what the turns consist of...seems to me I thought there was a weapons component!

Prettiest names - Falling leaf, Ina Bauer, Star (lift, camel, etc.)

Ugly - Headbanger, broken leg spin

28. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Besti squat and hydrant position, funniest names and least graceful pictures on ice.

29. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Not weird - but when I first started skating I thought it was weird that a spiral didn't really spiral in any way. (I know it does in a death spiral - which when you think of it is a pretty awful name too!)

30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

A spiral IS supposed to spiral. A true spiral is on an edge and thus carves a spiral pattern onto the ice. Technically a straight-line spiral in an arabesque position is not a spiral.