Most Shocking/Dramatic Moments?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Jenna, Jan 7, 2012.

1. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

this was both shocking (fall) and dramatic (death stare in front of audience) :eek:
  2. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Has no one mentioned the "whack heard 'round the world" yet?
  3. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Not so much Yu-Na's reaction, but the Korean crowd's reaction to her scores at the 2008-2009 GPF.

I've never heard roars of excitement die off so quickly :eek::rofl:
  4. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Did the camera not stay on the face of other medalists? Anyway, Michelle as the 4-time World champion was expected to win this time as it did not happen in Nagano. Sarah Hughes was a surprise, and I have always thought that Irina should have won, Sarah was way too high up after the sp.

Yes, considering that Plushenko´s PCS was so high, compared to that also Weir´s empty programme should have had higher PCS. But, Plushenko has reputation points based on his huge achievements, and Weir is veeery far from those achievements. Actually Weir got what he deserved, IMO. He should have had a better CoP programme, that would have helped!!!
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

If you read it right you can see I said that I'm a Elena/Anton fan. I was shocked because the Olympics were in North America & thought that would favour Jamie/David.
    I found more emotion in the Russians free skate but thought the way they were treated by some people in the media was terrible. Like they were to blame.
    I did not agree with a second set of Gold medals being given out. It was a close call. I liked both but found the Russians more interesting.
    The media over reacted (my opinion).
  6. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

OMG that is quite funny :lol:

I can't imagine what it must have been like for her at that event.
  7. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Wheeee loved her :glamor::drama::GnP1::kickass:
  8. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Some backstage fluff of the 1997 NHK Trophy has just been posted on youtube. You should watch. It seems quite funny now but fantastic viewing.
    She was never boring. I really miss her.
  9. Loves_Shizuka

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  10. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Maybe not shocking or dramatic, but certainly heartwarming for me Todd Eldredge's tributes to his parents:

Todd placed the silver medal around his father's neck as a show of appreciation for his support throughout the years.
  11. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Sandhu beating Plushenko at the 2004 GPF was pretty shocking!
  12. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

And a lot of fun to see live!
  13. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYk0EHgjBys

shocking! or was this too obvious?

And Sarah Hughes was shocking to me because I thought Irina had won as the results before she skated were MK, Sarah, Sasha. I totally did not see the flip in placement between Sarah and Michelle due to Irina being in 2nd place so I was totally shocked to see her win but only because I was just not expecting it. If she had been in first before irina skated, I don't think the result would have been as "shocking". if that makes sense.
  14. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful one. Sarah Meier wins Europeans on her last try.

Quite a shocking moment indeed, given it was her first (and last) competition of the season, and she was coming off of an injury. A podium finish would have been a triumph in and of itself.

What is it with these Sarahs and their shocking wins? ;)
  15. sadya

sadya Active Member

I was happy for Meier, finally she won. I often rooted for her and was disappointed when she didn't/couldn't medal. This is still amazing to watch. :)
  16. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

17. Loves_Shizuka

^Those were the days :glamor: :smokin:
  18. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Loved those moments! I wish there was some video of Todd putting the medal on his dad @ 1995 Worlds. The video footage of Todd putting the medal on his mom @ 1996 Worlds is one of my most favorite moments in fs (along with Brian Boitano & Midori Ito's reactions @ the end of their 1988 Calgary free skates). :encore:

A priceless, touching moment for lovely Sarah Meier (been rooting for her since 2003 Worlds). :encore:
  19. IneZR

IneZR New Member

This fall Kiira Korpi had at the very beginning of her LP at 2009 Euros was really shocking and scary. Poor girl looked in so much pain! :(

Also, Tanith's slip during CD at 2008 Worlds: came totally out of nowhere and ruined their chances for Gold medal. I remember watching this live and couldn't believe my eyes when it happened. :eek:

Mukhortova/Trankov's LP at the same Worlds in Goteborg: they suddenly stopped in the latter half of the program. It appeared that Maxim had some problems with his right hand. Thankfully they managed to finish their routine and ended up in 7-th place overall.
  20. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Really the entire 2006 Olympic OD was a drama fest, capped by the death glare, which was truly a moment for the ages. Years later Barbara mentioned that there were loads of Savarovski crystals on the ice from all the previous falls (though she did not attribute their fall to tripping on any of them ;)).

As for good shocks, another vote for Sarah Meier last year; it was wonderful to see her end her career like that.

It was the costume more than his hand - it was too tight and cutting off his circulation. IIRC he has since said that he doesn't have such sleeves in his costumes because of that experience.
  21. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Most shocking moment? When I stepped inside the PostFinance Arena in Bern and realised it was true that there was no heating. :scream:
  22. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Can't let this thread go by without an Alexei mention (unless I missed one upthread...) But his SLC gold was truly moving. At the end of his LP, when he fell to the ice and kissed it, and then skated back to Tat and fell to his knees before he got there...truly moving.

I also agree with Vash01 and Pashafan about the pairs event. I was there in SLC, and I felt very sorry for both teams. I was annoyed by Jamie's pouting, but it really was an ugly media situation which created an atmosphere that did not properly reflect the Olympic Spirit. I was a fan of Elena and Anton and I felt so sorry for them-as if they were being vilified for being "not North American" or something. It was ugly.
  23. Loves_Shizuka

The whole SLC pairs situation was :( :mad: and still leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
  24. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone posted this, but it was that horrifying and shocking fall from Totmianina and Marinin at Skate America in 2004. I remember screaming out loud when it happened; that was terrible. :eek: And I felt so sorry for Marinin -- he looked so distraught and helpless.
  25. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Korpi's fall at the 2009 Euro's was shocking. I still feel they should have let her get back to her start pose instead of picking up the music. It was so early in the programe. She looked stunned at the end.
    Asada's fall on the triple axel when taking off for it at the start of her free programe at the 08 Worlds is another one.
    Also a skater in the pairs event at the the 2006 Europeans in Lyon fell very badly (I can't remember her name. I think she was Czech) on a lift.
  26. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I remember that; it was horrifying. I thought she'd broken her neck. Like you, I can't recall their names.
  27. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Candice Didier's fall in the FS at 2009 Worlds was pretty horrific.
  28. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

I didn't know about this one, but it was Olga Prokuronova (with partner Karel Stefl). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karel_Štefl

Dmitri Palamarchuk had a terrible fall on a lift at 2000 Worlds (ETA I see ballettmaus mentioned this in post 6). And of course finding out about Paul Binnebose's terrible lift fall was shocking, even though it wasn't in competition. It was caught on tape and shown on TV at one point.

Nobunari Oda's disaster at 2010 Worlds was definitely shocking.
  29. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I remember that. She did well to get up & skate.
    Marina & Gwendal's fall in the free dance at the 2001 Euro's. I really felt for them. She looked so shocked.
    Anyone remember Mandy Woetzel's fall in the free at the 1996 World's?.
    She vanished from the camera shot & went into the boards !. I really loved Mandy & Ingo.
    Also what I found kinda shocking was Shen & Zhao getting such a huge score in the short at the 2010 Olympics. I thought it was a lovely programe but the best we had ever seen?, I didn't think so.
  30. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

31. IneZR

IneZR New Member

Yeah, it looked horrible. Massimo was really lucky not to break his neck because this fall was really terrifying. :eek:
  32. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Thanks for that. I just watched them both.
    They both make me feel queasy. The people who say figure skating does not have a place in the Olympics should watch that.
    Faella & Scalli did have a lot of falls. I would always watch them from behind a cushion !. Didn't they change that lift for the Worlds that year?. It was much better in Tokyo.
  33. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Mandy and Ingo had an incident where she bashed his nose with her elbow during an split triple twist early in a program. He commenced to bleed from the nose but the referee never stopped them. That shocked me. Blood flowed down his face, off his chin, onto his white blouse. Mandy was ashen and there was the potential for slippage due to all the blood, it seemed to me, but they finished the program. As they hit the final pose, I burst into tears.
  34. mia joy

mia joy New Member

actually I found the ice dance and ladies situations much more disturbing. Sarah Hughes winning gold over two skating queens Michelle and Irina and then D/V placing behind F-P/M and B/K who both fell was all plain riddiculous for me.

And then there was this. My heart still breaks and I'm still angry as hell when I think of this.

Another dramatic situation, Siudek/Siudek's withdrawal from Worlds 2007. I still cry with Dorota when I see it.
  35. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Dube and Davison...when her face was slashed as they did their sbs spins.......she still has a scar from that one and is lucky she didn't lose an eye....just makes me shiver and now when I watch pairs spins, it's always on my mind.
  36. Loves_Shizuka

Sigh. Actually yes, SLC was a hot mess thinking about it. I also hated the ladies results and also thought D/V should have won the bronze. I never re-watch SLC.

:( Sigh. I just love D/V so much. I felt a bit for C/S though. It can't have felt nice to have their moment so tainted and disputed. Btw, that's some :eek: shocking hair on Irina, Shae-Lynn and Galit on the podium at the end of that clip :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad D/V have gone on to have a successful "pro" career (of sorts) in Russia though.
  37. elle123

elle123 New Member

I can never watch pairs sbs spins either because of this! I remember watching it on tv, it was truly horrific.
  38. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Tara Lipinski's SQUEALS OF DELIGHT in KnC, Nagano. That was a shocker for the ages!
  39. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

With the world watching, Tonya lifted one of her legs onto the Olympic judges' table while bawling her eyes out. A.W.K.W.A.R.D.
  40. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

No, it wasn't. Someone is looking to get run over again. :p