Most Shocking/Dramatic Moments?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Jenna, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am an English/American;)language speaker, so it's not a language thing. When I saw the title of this thread, I had expected something very different from the the examples I am reading. It does not have to be negative in order to be dramatic, but shocking- may be. ITA about the Palamarchuk pairs fall, T&M's fall at Skate America. Those were truly dramatic and shocking, but a skater's reaction in the K&C or a poster's own reaction to scores as examples? Come on. Some examples are emotional but not necessarily shocking or dramatic (e.g. Katia's first solo performance).

I am having a tough time finding examples other than those already listed, and I may have missed a few.

I do find Rudy's win in San Jose in 1996 truly shocking. His awesome skate and the reaction from the audience and him was dramatic. Midori Ito's fall in the 1992 Oly SP was truly shocking, particularly since it was a simple 3Lutz, but not dramatic.

2. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Surya Bonaly's silver medal strip off and refusal to stand on the medal podium at the 1994 Worlds medal ceremony. :eek:

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Paul Wylie's Olympic silver medal.

4. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Wow these are all good...not much to add.
    Menzies / Bombardier bombing twice at nationals going for olympic spots that were so within their reach. They did it with other partners one cycle and then together.

Not sure if this was in there, but I thought Meier's Euros win was pretty awesome and exciting.

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks, paskatefan -- I knew there was a deeply affecting incident that was missing from my list! It was heartbreaking to see Randy go out there in the warm-up and keep falling and to watch the look on Tai's face, later finding out that she had not been informed about the extent of his injury. So glad they both survived this experience and more importantly stayed together as a team forever. Love their memoir, Forever Two as One.

6. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

- the Jelineks winning pairs gold in Prague in 1962
    - the entire first half of 1997
    - Miki Ando in the K&C when she won her first World title in 2007

7. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Everything about Pasha/Oksana/Madonna/Marilyn Grishuk in 1998.

8. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

3 fall's long by Carolina Kostner at Vancouver and her following interview just a few minutes later..she was almost in tears

Joannie short at the Olympics..i had those images in my mind for all the day

Barbara and Maurizio falling in the last minute of their program in Turin..and of course, what happened after that

Sarah Meier reaction after winning euros last year

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Midori (1) falling into the camera pit after landing the 3lz-2t at 91 Worlds and (2) falling on the 3ltz in the SP at Albertville.

Janet Lynn falling on both of her 2A in the SP at the 73 Worlds.

10. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I must have misunderstood the intended focus of the post. Or maybe I have a lower threshold for being shocked or finding the drama in a moment. I'll blame it on not watching the Kardashians enough.

11. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

this was both shocking (fall) and dramatic (death stare in front of audience) :eek:

12. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Has no one mentioned the "whack heard 'round the world" yet?

13. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Not so much Yu-Na's reaction, but the Korean crowd's reaction to her scores at the 2008-2009 GPF.

I've never heard roars of excitement die off so quickly :eek::rofl:

14. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Did the camera not stay on the face of other medalists? Anyway, Michelle as the 4-time World champion was expected to win this time as it did not happen in Nagano. Sarah Hughes was a surprise, and I have always thought that Irina should have won, Sarah was way too high up after the sp.

Yes, considering that Plushenko´s PCS was so high, compared to that also Weir´s empty programme should have had higher PCS. But, Plushenko has reputation points based on his huge achievements, and Weir is veeery far from those achievements. Actually Weir got what he deserved, IMO. He should have had a better CoP programme, that would have helped!!!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  15. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

If you read it right you can see I said that I'm a Elena/Anton fan. I was shocked because the Olympics were in North America & thought that would favour Jamie/David.
    I found more emotion in the Russians free skate but thought the way they were treated by some people in the media was terrible. Like they were to blame.
    I did not agree with a second set of Gold medals being given out. It was a close call. I liked both but found the Russians more interesting.
    The media over reacted (my opinion).

16. Loves_Shizuka

OMG that is quite funny :lol:

I can't imagine what it must have been like for her at that event.

17. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Wheeee loved her :glamor::drama::GnP1::kickass:

18. PashaFan

Some backstage fluff of the 1997 NHK Trophy has just been posted on youtube. You should watch. It seems quite funny now but fantastic viewing.
    She was never boring. I really miss her.

19. Loves_Shizuka

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  20. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

Maybe not shocking or dramatic, but certainly heartwarming for me Todd Eldredge's tributes to his parents:

Todd placed the silver medal around his father's neck as a show of appreciation for his support throughout the years.

21. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Sandhu beating Plushenko at the 2004 GPF was pretty shocking!

22. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

And a lot of fun to see live!

23. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYk0EHgjBys

shocking! or was this too obvious?

And Sarah Hughes was shocking to me because I thought Irina had won as the results before she skated were MK, Sarah, Sasha. I totally did not see the flip in placement between Sarah and Michelle due to Irina being in 2nd place so I was totally shocked to see her win but only because I was just not expecting it. If she had been in first before irina skated, I don't think the result would have been as "shocking". if that makes sense.

24. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful one. Sarah Meier wins Europeans on her last try.

Quite a shocking moment indeed, given it was her first (and last) competition of the season, and she was coming off of an injury. A podium finish would have been a triumph in and of itself.

What is it with these Sarahs and their shocking wins? ;)

25. sadya

sadya Active Member

I was happy for Meier, finally she won. I often rooted for her and was disappointed when she didn't/couldn't medal. This is still amazing to watch. :)

26. PashaFan

27. Loves_Shizuka

^Those were the days :glamor: :smokin:

28. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Loved those moments! I wish there was some video of Todd putting the medal on his dad @ 1995 Worlds. The video footage of Todd putting the medal on his mom @ 1996 Worlds is one of my most favorite moments in fs (along with Brian Boitano & Midori Ito's reactions @ the end of their 1988 Calgary free skates). :encore:

A priceless, touching moment for lovely Sarah Meier (been rooting for her since 2003 Worlds). :encore:

29. IneZR

IneZR New Member

This fall Kiira Korpi had at the very beginning of her LP at 2009 Euros was really shocking and scary. Poor girl looked in so much pain! :(

Also, Tanith's slip during CD at 2008 Worlds: came totally out of nowhere and ruined their chances for Gold medal. I remember watching this live and couldn't believe my eyes when it happened. :eek:

Mukhortova/Trankov's LP at the same Worlds in Goteborg: they suddenly stopped in the latter half of the program. It appeared that Maxim had some problems with his right hand. Thankfully they managed to finish their routine and ended up in 7-th place overall.

30. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Really the entire 2006 Olympic OD was a drama fest, capped by the death glare, which was truly a moment for the ages. Years later Barbara mentioned that there were loads of Savarovski crystals on the ice from all the previous falls (though she did not attribute their fall to tripping on any of them ;)).

As for good shocks, another vote for Sarah Meier last year; it was wonderful to see her end her career like that.

It was the costume more than his hand - it was too tight and cutting off his circulation. IIRC he has since said that he doesn't have such sleeves in his costumes because of that experience.