Most Shocking/Dramatic Moments?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Jenna, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

What have been some of skating's most shocking or dramatic moments caught on tape?

Here's a good example!
  2. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:eek: That is still as unfathomable today as it was nearly 10 years ago.

Most high drama:
    Joannie Rochette's 2010 Olympic SP: her pre- and post-reactions
    Katia Gordeeva's first public skate sans Sergei Grinkov
    Michelle Kwan's 2006 Olympic withdrawal and interview with Scott Hamilton and Bob Costas
    Nicole Bobek's 1998 Olympic SP post-reaction
    Jeremy Abbott's 2010 Olympic SP post-reaction
    Miki Ando's 2008 Worlds LP withdrawal and post-reaction
    Michelle Kwan's 1997 Nationals LP post-reaction
    Angela Nikodinov's reaction to missing the 2002 Olympic team
    Maxim Trankov's 2010 Olympic SP post-reaction
    Stephane Lambiel overcome with happy tears on the 2006 Olympic podium
    Nancy Kerrigan's 1993 Worlds LP post-reaction: "I just want to die."
    Nancy Kerrigan's 1994 Nationals assault reaction: "WHYYYYYYY?!?!?!"
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

4. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Some of these are more shocking/dramatic because of something the skater consciously did, that was unexpected, inappropriate or a surprise. So I wouldn't count e.g. Joannie Rochette's reactions at the 2010 Olympics as shocking or dramatic....I am not sure anyone else in the same situation would have reacted much differently. IMHO her behaviour was very classy.

I would count the Skary Babs staredown of her partner at the 2006 Olympics among the most shocking/dramatic moments....
  6. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd call most of the examples given shocking or dramatic. Emotional, yes.
    Maybe it's a language thing but my understanding of shocking and dramatic is something else and especially shocking as a negative tone to it, for me.
    Something I'd call shocking, for example, would be the fall of the Ukrainian pairs skaters at 2000 Worlds, Palamarchuk and partner.
  7. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I would include when Johnny Weir's LP score were shown at the 2010 Olys, Idk if I would call it shocking but it was dramatic, a whole lot of booing going on (myself included :shuffle:)
  8. museksk8r

I was speaking in the context that these dramatic moments were emotionally moving and vividly striking, at least they were to me. The term dramatic can have a wide range of meanings and interpretations; it doesn't have to be only a negative experience.
  9. walei

walei Well-Known Member

B/K last second fall during their 2002 Olympics FD.
  10. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Three words -

THE DEATH STARE!
  11. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Dan Zhang! Huge fall - looks like major knee injury and withdrawl but skates and they win silver
  12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Rudy Galindo wins in San Jose, 1996 Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lH9mg_ZneA

Exciting, dramatic, glorious. Love you, Rudy! Miss 6.0!

Even the favorite, Todd Eldredge, seemed happy for Rudy. Eldredge later admitted (after he won 1996 Worlds) that Rudy's Nationals performance had inspired him.

Lots of drama surrounded Janet Lynn at 1971 Worlds in Lyon, France --the audience was in an uproar b/c they didn't understand why Lynn didn't win a medal after her free skate. That drama led to the rules change which added the sp and reduced the percentage given to figures in the scoring. At Worlds '73 with the debut of the sp, Lynn was expected to win since she excelled in free skating. Everyone was shocked when she fell. She came back from her disastrous falls in the sp to win the free skate and place second overall with the silver medal.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3wq42YnV8g
  13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

14. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

I don't remember any of these :eek:
  15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Rudy's win in San Jose, 1996 :)
    Tai & Randi's Olympic withdrawal, 1980 :(
    Barbara Fusar Poli's death stare :eek:
    Shizuka's reaction in the K&C in Torino 2006 :)
  16. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Sarah Meier winning the European Gold in 2011.
    She was crying thinking she had won a medal then when the first place mark came up she & her team's reaction was amazing. It was one of those real feel good moments.
    Also in Torino 2006 Olympics. The Ice Dance Original. One fall after another.
    It kept happening-both Italian couples, P/B & the most shocking Marie-France & Patrice's fall.
  17. sadya

sadya Active Member

I'll add the reaction of Baiul after she won gold in Lillehamer. Well, not shocking but certainly dramatic.

The news of Grinkov passing away, Eurosport was showing Lalique which was a different event back then, suddenly they stopped, instead of the rest of the show the Olympic lp of G&G was on with the text; Tribute to Sergei Grinkov, his date of birth and death and what G&G had won. I was shocked.

Hamilton back on the ice after his struggles with cancer.

Long before I was born, the '61 plane crash, I first read about it on SkateWeb. There was an entire description of the programs with all the elements the skaters did. Then someone posted the programs of these skaters for the first time on the former board of fsuniverse. It was quite an emotional experience to watch those programs. Perhaps this was the most shocking and dramatic event ever in figure skating.
  18. briancoogaert

19. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Plushenko goes ker-splat on his opening jumping pass at Salt Lake City.

With all the build-up, the huge rivalry, everything...that was probably the last thing anyone expected to happen.

Abt's horrendous SP marks in Salt Lake City. I am well aware the ISU probably didn't want an all-Russian podium, but those marks were ridiculous.

Yagudin wins the 2002 Euros. Even Yagudin thought he shouldn't have won!
  20. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I remember that. I was watching Lalique at the time too. I could not believe it.
    Also the Pairs event at Salt Lake in 2002. I live in England so I stayed up until about 3 in the morning. When I was waiting for Sale/Pelletier's marks I remember thinking that they were going to get a row of perfect 6's & then my jaw dropped when the second place came up (& I was a Elena & Anton fan !). Truly shocking.
  21. briancoogaert

22. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

One of the most dramatic has to be Janet Lynn at 1971 Worlds. Her FS had been brilliant, but due to the weighting of the school figures component she missed out on a medal altogether. Trixie Schuba, Julie Holmes, and Karen Magnussen were stood atop the podium, but the French crowd were so outraged by the situation that one of the officials had to motion Janet Lynn to go and take a bow at the side of the rink. Upon doing so, they gave her a huge cheer and only then was the crowd appeased. That moment is captured in this video here. That moment also marked the beginning of the end for the compulsory figures as they reduced their weighting a few years later and introduced the short program.

Here is a documentary on the whole saga:-

Janet Lynn & Trixie Schuba - 1971 World Championships
  23. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

24. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny Weir winning 2004 Nationals after the Dallas disaster.
  25. Loves_Shizuka

26. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ I still wish Yukari was sent to the 2010 Olympics... Anyways, anyone remember Yukari's 2008 Worlds scores?!?!? Lots of booing!!!
  27. Icetalavista

Icetalavista New Member

Totmianina's horrific pairs fall

Woetzel's less horrific, but still awful trip and fall, then being carried off the ice by Steuer (US TV, subtle and classy as always, showed the trip no less than 5 times, from different angles)

Babilonia and Gardner's sad and truly last-second withdrawal from the Olys pairs comp, due to Gardner's groin injury

(I never saw this, but it sounds dramatic) Gary Beacom becoming so angry after his scores for compulsory figures were posted that he kicked the boards and his blade got stuck

Lipinski's shriek heard round the world after she won Oly gold

Peggy Fleming winning the US's ONLY Oly gold that year, after the US team was decimated from the plane crash
  28. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I know. :( There was a lot of emotional weight tied to that one score. I think you could hear it in the audience's reaction - sort of cheer/groan/shock. A bittersweet moment.
  29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Marie-France DUBREUIL fall at 2006 OG OD - it look scary :(
    Melissa Gregory - Denis Petukhov fall at 2007 Skate Canada during warm-up.
    Nobunari Oda laces have torn at OG.
    Takashi blades problems at 2011 WCh.
    Obertas-Palamarchuck fall in LP at 2000 WCh in Nice.
    Totmianina's horrific pairs fall
    Jessica Dube face cut at 2008 4CC championships
    Rochett SP at 2010 OG
    Buttle LP at 2004? (i think it was at 2004 Naionals in London), where he had falls at all jumps.
    Tessa Virtue stop skating during FD at 2011 4CC championship.
  30. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

You can't be serious. A row of perfect sixes without any choreography, and just showing angst in the face? The competition was very close; the only drama was Sale's reaction on the podium and the subsequent awarding of double gold, for crying. If you disagreed with the judges' placement/marks, there must be tons of other examples like that.
    IneZR and (deleted member) like this.
  31. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am an English/American;)language speaker, so it's not a language thing. When I saw the title of this thread, I had expected something very different from the the examples I am reading. It does not have to be negative in order to be dramatic, but shocking- may be. ITA about the Palamarchuk pairs fall, T&M's fall at Skate America. Those were truly dramatic and shocking, but a skater's reaction in the K&C or a poster's own reaction to scores as examples? Come on. Some examples are emotional but not necessarily shocking or dramatic (e.g. Katia's first solo performance).

I am having a tough time finding examples other than those already listed, and I may have missed a few.

I do find Rudy's win in San Jose in 1996 truly shocking. His awesome skate and the reaction from the audience and him was dramatic. Midori Ito's fall in the 1992 Oly SP was truly shocking, particularly since it was a simple 3Lutz, but not dramatic.
  32. museksk8r

Surya Bonaly's silver medal strip off and refusal to stand on the medal podium at the 1994 Worlds medal ceremony. :eek:
  33. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Paul Wylie's Olympic silver medal.
  34. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

Wow these are all good...not much to add.
    Menzies / Bombardier bombing twice at nationals going for olympic spots that were so within their reach. They did it with other partners one cycle and then together.

Not sure if this was in there, but I thought Meier's Euros win was pretty awesome and exciting.
  35. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks, paskatefan -- I knew there was a deeply affecting incident that was missing from my list! It was heartbreaking to see Randy go out there in the warm-up and keep falling and to watch the look on Tai's face, later finding out that she had not been informed about the extent of his injury. So glad they both survived this experience and more importantly stayed together as a team forever. Love their memoir, Forever Two as One.
  36. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

- the Jelineks winning pairs gold in Prague in 1962
    - the entire first half of 1997
    - Miki Ando in the K&C when she won her first World title in 2007
  37. Loves_Shizuka

Everything about Pasha/Oksana/Madonna/Marilyn Grishuk in 1998.
  38. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

3 fall's long by Carolina Kostner at Vancouver and her following interview just a few minutes later..she was almost in tears

Joannie short at the Olympics..i had those images in my mind for all the day

Barbara and Maurizio falling in the last minute of their program in Turin..and of course, what happened after that

Sarah Meier reaction after winning euros last year
  39. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Midori (1) falling into the camera pit after landing the 3lz-2t at 91 Worlds and (2) falling on the 3ltz in the SP at Albertville.

Janet Lynn falling on both of her 2A in the SP at the 73 Worlds.
  40. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I must have misunderstood the intended focus of the post. Or maybe I have a lower threshold for being shocked or finding the drama in a moment. I'll blame it on not watching the Kardashians enough.