Most poorly judged competitions

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shady82, Jul 9, 2011.

1. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ While I fully respect Alexei Y.'s Olympic win in 2002, I felt the 2001 Men's podium at Worlds should have been Plushy, Todd, & Timmy, in that order.

2. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

oki, so, we almost agree, since I had the feeling that Tim Goebel deserved a medal. But Alexei Yagudin was my favorite skater at this competition, so, I was really really happy to see him on the podium ! lol

3. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

2010 worlds Ladies free...Mao being score second to a Yuna who was really disappointing and lifeless...yuna taking the silver with those programs (If it was another skater she would have been not as high as tenth place)...lepisto taking the bronze with a three triple long when both miki ando and carolina kostner skated two flawless programs with more quality than laura's...I was at the arena and everything was a joke..

skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

Yuna did LANDED 5Triples including 3L-3T How is that so disppointing? And also I belived your favorite skater mao also landed 5 triples.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Totally agree, and I also would say the exact same thing about 1998. Happy then, looking back not so much.

6. leafygreens

So does that mean that the winner of 2014 should have a quint? Otherwise, it's not a real sport, right? And none of the other elements matter.

7. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

Mao landed 6 triples including two 3 axels (one was underrotated I think...) but her program was clean while yuna's wasn't...she had a fall and completely popped the axel...mao's step are far superior than yuna's...Yuna had no spirit, no wish to compete, she didn't skate well at all! After the fall and the popped jumps she took a lot of time to recover, like she wanted to stop, but they gave her the highest components...
    Btw, Mao is not my favourite, she was just better! This is a thought that all the area where I was sit had...

8. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

After she fell 3S She landed beautiful triple lutz.. What do you mean she wanted to stop? are you her Brain or something?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  9. leafygreens

The crazy thing about 1994 is that there should have been other ladies in contention besides Nancy and Oksana. But let's just judge the two against each other. Oksana is justified as winning because she was more artistic and the artistic mark is the tiebreaker. The tiebreaker - meaning, the technical aspects of two skaters are identical before factoring in artistry. But Nancy did a 3/3 and a 3/2, Oksana did no combos, ok, she did a 2A/2T. Then Scott Hamilton goes "She did five triples, all different!!" but Oksana's 3F was two footed. Their technical skating wasn't in the same realm. The good things about Oksana's performance was that she was very fast, her 3z was insanely high, she had the donut spin and was overall more fun to watch vs. Nancy's cheesy artistry. But do these things excuse Oksana's errors? No, they don't. What the scores were basically saying is that shaking tail feathers is worth more than a cleanly executed program with 3/3 and 3/2 combo. It's amazing that judging that is so blatantly wrong can't be fixed somehow.

The other thing that bothers me about Oksana is that she did the same LP in 1994 that she did in 1993. So this means that Oksana only had one senior LP her entire career!

10. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

Yes, of course I am :rolleyes:
    Read better...I wrote LIKE she wanted to stop...Watch the video...the reaction after the fall and her face after the popped axel gave me that impression! She could have landed another 3-3 but my idea wouldn't have changend!

11. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

OK... No need to blabla with you anymore. (I will move on)

12. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

I'm with you Tanja. I still don't get it. :huh:

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

1994 Olympics competition for me, not just Baiul over Kerrigan (which was a right decision for skating but a wrong decision for that particular competition), but also the under-appreciation of Lu Chen and Yuka Sato. The free skates really should have gone Kerrigan, Chen and Sato, or Chen, Kerrigan and Sato. Baiul should still medal due to a strong sp (IIRC Sato singled the lutz in the sp?), but I don't think the combination of her performances deserved the win.

The men's competition I think was correctly judged. Urmanov beat Stojko 8-1. It was a pity the 3 veterans faltered in the sp, but I really think Petrenko deserved to win the free, followed by Browning and then Urmanov and Boitano. Stojko and Candeloro had no business comparing quality skating with them.

Other controversial decisions are Lipinski over Gusmeroli (and even Kwan IMO) at 1997 worlds sp which ultimately cost Kwan the world title that year, as well as adding Soldatova to the mix of Malinina, Kwan and Gusmeroli at 1999 worlds. Her being held up ultimately cost Malinina her medal.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  14. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

2011 Worlds in the ladies event.

A lot of the lesser known skaters did 3/3 combos with very little credit. Some of the bigger names bombed and were still ranked above them.

I still can't accept Kim winning the short with a botched 3lutz. But then, maybe the judges were celebrating the six year anniversary of giving Irina Slutskaya first in the short when she fumbled the short program combo in 2005 at Worlds (also in Moscow), too.

15. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Just because it's summertime doesn't mean you have to be sarcastic about the judges. They would not pander to a Moscow audience or vote a certain way because Yu-Na Kim's mother owns them. I'm serious about this.

As a die hard Mao fan, I can say I think the SP was judged fairly. Kim's lutz, while not deserving of the +1 GOE given by one cheating judge, was scored appropriately by most of the panel. Her spin positions are awful, but they judged them according to the rule book, rewarding her blurred speed. Kim deserved the SP win.

16. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I have a two - legged chair I'd like to sell you, by the way.

17. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Sorry for being off topic, but watching her haters crawling out like worms do in a rainy day gives me a hunch that someting nice is going on with Yuna.

Is she about to announce schedule of her shows in LA, perhaps?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

This was the most WTF judging moment I can remember and I was in Vancouver watching it live. Sale & Pelletier should have been at the very least fourth after the SP.

But then again as Tamara Moskvina said in a recent interview they were really being pushed during 1999-2001 to be established as gold medal favourites going into Salt Lake City.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3235985&postcount=32

The result of pairs in Vancouver was a much bigger scandal than pairs in SLC, but didn't receive the same media coverage because the "right" pair won. ;)

19. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

And this coming from the one who trashes every Japanese skater out there....

20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Sigh. Do we have to bring the Korea versus Japan war to FSU, too?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  21. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

Uh, you're the one who just brought up Korea, not me.

Anyway, end of subject.

22. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Petrenko rarely gets brought up in Lillehammer, but I too thought he should've won the free skate. I was floored by just how mediocre Stojko was and Urmanov, while better, certainly wasn't that great.

23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

That's because he didn't even skate in the final group (but still received 5.9/6.0 which was wrong from a pure judging standpoint with 6 more skaters to go).

Urmanov was certainly not the best skater in that competition but overall probably did deliver the best competitive performances in that competition to merit the win.

24. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to believe that had Yuka Sato been 6th in the technical program and thus in the final group, the judges might have very well put her 3rd in the free skate over Lu Chen (who was 4th) and thus, giving her the bronze medal overall - that one is actually quite the toss up.

25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Except Lu Chen's program was much more difficult both jump-wise and program-wise. I still believe the right thing to do was to leave Baiul off the podium. :p

26. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  27. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Jump-wise for sure, but Yuka was far better in terms of spins, footwork, posture/positions, and (IMO) presentation. A podium of Kerrigan, Chen, and Sato in just about any order sounds good to me, though!

I think one of the poorest judging decisions was the lack of an edge call on Sasha Cohen's "lutz" at the 2010 US Nationals SP. Watching the caller's video and hearing the team's audio feedback was quite disturbing. :rolleyes:

28. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEObLwnTDU

Interesting. I wish we had access to the reviews for every skater. Wouldn't that be fun? :EVILLE:

29. Mafke

Mafke New Member

Meh, it's not like B/S had a great reputation for being clean (which weakens Moskvina's usual dark mutterings). Without going back and looking at all the SPs as I recall S/P had better pairs quality than some of the cleaner pairs.

5/4 is pretty weak as a conspiracy especially against a team that was noted (at the time) as being all about the big tricks with not much pairs quality and lots of technique problems that the audience didn't notice but the judges had to pay attention to.

S/Z of course developed into one of the most charismatic pairs of all time but they were very far away from that in 2001...

30. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Questioning Yunah's scores does not mean one hates Yunah.

I too felt she was overscored at Worlds in 2010. It was blatantly obvious that the judges really wanted to give it to her. In contrast, Mao's Bells was under appreciated, although the judges at the Olympics called it right.

However, in 2011 I felt Yunah was judged fairly.