Most overscored mens singles skater

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ohashibiles, Jun 1, 2013.

Most overscored ever in mens singles

1. Elvis Stojko

16.7%
  2. Patrick Chan

37.6%
  3. Vladimir Kovalev

0.5%
  4. Scott Hamilton

5.9%
  5. Evgeny Plushenko

14.0%
  6. Alexei Yagudin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kurt Browning

2.3%
  8. Stephane Lambiel

1.8%
  9. Wolfgang Schwarz

0.9%
  10. Emmerich Danzer

1.4%
  11. Evan Lysacek

17.6%
  12. Viktor Petrenko

1.4%
  1. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Active Member

Who do you consider the most overscored mens singles skater ever. I know alot will say Chan but I dont agree and think people are too hard on him. Granted he is somewhat overscored and won many titles he didnt deserve like the last Wolrlds but still not the worst ever. I think the most overscored ever is Elvis Stojko. Who do you think is.

2. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Tomas Verner came to mind first.

3. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Chan ...
    Lysacek, Stojko, Plushenko

4. karlon

karlon New Member

I voted for one who robbed others' medals the most... It is the most important thing

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Could someone please change my vote. I meant to vote Chan but voted Stojko by accident. Stojko shouldnt even be on this poll.

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

No need to change your vote, JJ. It's expected from you. :D

The most important thing .....is what I like I can't get. I am being robbed.:mad:

7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for Chan.. didn't even look at the other options! Petrenko was occasionally overscored though. I noticed that he often won when he wasn't even close to clean, like Chan. I don't think Stojko or Plushenko were overscored at all, it's not like they were splat-festing like Chan. Lysacek wasn't overscored either, he just knew how to maximize his points by using what he did well.

8. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I was gonna go with Patrick, but then I saw Evan and had to go with him. At least with Patrick, I do see the quality of his actual skating skills, his speed, his transitions, and the quads when he does them well that make him stand out. Chan's programs are packed with difficulty. Nothing really stood out to me about Evan's skating; he was rather bland and laboured and wasn't attempting the most difficult elements in his prime. :shuffle:

9. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Just what we need - one more thread to confirm the venom towards Patrick. I know that is not how it was intended but...

And before anyone jumps down my throat about being an "oversensitive uber" - just step back and take a moment to OBJECTIVELY look at the number of threads that have turned into anti-Chan threads.

Yes there are those who objectively analyze him and find him "wanting". Yes there are those who keep it appropriate and specific about why they don't like him and/or his skating and or his results and/or the way he is judged and/or the IJS and its effects on the results in general - using him as the extreme example.

But if you are one of those people - surely you must realize there are also people who bash him whenever possible and blame him for things beyond his control.

Also - the one thing I have noticed about polls is that whoever is most in mind at the time gets the most votes. This goes for positive polls and negative polls. I know that is natural - but it makes the polls relatively useless because we know right away who is going to win/lose.

On another note - these decisions are also limited / affected by the fact that skaters these days are much more accessible. I am a huge HUGE fan of Kurt Browning but when he was competing we didn't have nearly as much access to the competitions. However, my understanding is that there were people who attended the Grand Prix events (before they were actually part of a Grand Prix) who said he was terribly gifted based on his reputation. I know Torvill and Dean (whom I also adore) were often scored on reputation and even received a 6.0 for a program with a clear stumble in it. But the thing is - we didn't have and don't have YOUTUBE footage of these competitions to be able to assess skaters through history.

And lastly - yeah I know this is the Trash Can and polls are meaningless. I am just getting a wee bit weary.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The systematic overscoring of the clean or even messy all triple program with the 3/5 layout was absurd and was rightly altered.

11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Stojko and Plushenko, on both marks really. Their jumps were impressive but they had mediocre spins. Their second marks were a joke most of the time.

12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

:lol: What a Plushy hater you are...:rofl:

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I guess the OP knew this thread would turn into another "Chan is overscored, Chan is a robber, ..."

14. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Basically as the poll shows so far:

Chan on his own level as most overscored ever

Lysacek and Stojko on the next level and far over all others in history

Then Hamilton, Plushenko, and maybe Browning as the next level of most overscored

There are many overscored skaters in history but those ones stand above the others in those particular levels. I feel most sorry for people like Takahashi who happened to peak during the days of Chan and Evan overscoring and should have 4 or 5 World and Olympic titles but only has 1.

I wouldnt vote for him but Joubert should have definitely been on the poll too.

15. shady82

shady82 Active Member

Chan without a doubt. The only World title he deserved was in 2011.

Lysacek got far higher PCS than he deserved. (Higher PCS than Takahashi in the Vancouver SP? Huh?) Stojko was a strong jumper, a pioneer in this field, so I thought he was undermarked occasionally but not too often.

16. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

Stojko was never undermarked. He rode the wuzrobbed hype from the 1992 Olympics and milked it for all he was worth, including bullying judges to give him more scores by implying he was this big wuzrobbed skater in press conferences, when in fact he was overscored artistically and even more overscored technically most of the time. His attititude to the sport also sucks, always thrashing todays skaters. Even the ones who might deserve it like Chan, it is more taste for a former champion to do this publicly. If one could go back in time I bet the judges dont give him anywhere near the same medals and results again as they did then but oh well.

It is funny how the most overscored skaters often seem to be Canadian- Chan, Stojko, Sale and Pelletier, even Virtue and Moir sometimes. Maybe the Canadian federation is the strongest in the World over the last 30 years and not the Russians like many think.

17. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Oh please, must we go down this road? Yes, Canada has a strong federation and Chan has been hugely over-scored at many events due to the judges' love for his SS and the way he mastered quads (despite his not having as strong a 3-axel). Yes, the judges tended to over-reward Stojko post-1994 Olympics to make up for the Olympic slight. But Elvis was a great skater with the power of his desire and determination. He gave it everything he had and then some. The first quad-triple ever performed in competition, and high energy every time he set foot on the ice. So what he was not your conventional lyrical skater with aesthetically-pleasing lines.

It seems that you are being intentionally provocative in trying to claim that "the most over-scored skaters often seem to be Canadian." What a completely irrational and feckless, not to mention reckless claim. :blah:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sure this will go well.

No. There are more than enough worthy candidates that Joubert should be nowhere near this list.

I think it's kind of a given that a thread like this would go in that direction, no? I don't even like Chan and I think he's often overscored, but I feel the need to pick someone else just to be rebellious. Surely an "other option" instead of Browning, Yagudin or Lambiel would be appropriate?

If there were an "other" option, I would pick that as a vote for the opposite of purple.

20. judgejudy27

Stojko should not even be on the poll. He was definitely overscored often from 1997-2000, but he was also underscored often from 1991-1994 so it basically evens out. Even if he is a somewhat overscored skater, there are so many in history, and he wouldnt crack the top 10 to be worthy of the poll, let alone to be top 3 in a poll like this.

21. spikydurian

We SHOULD run a poll on ourselves - WHO IS THE MOST PURPLE POSTER! :cheer2:
    Winner's prize.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  22. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Oh, I'm SURE it wasn't! Not with such valid options as Vladimir Kovalev, Wolfgang Schwarz and Emmerich Danzer for us to choose from.

23. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

I have to disagree and agree on a few points here. I think it's great to include skaters like Kovalev, Schwarz and Danzer - if you don't get those skaters names out there, their stories won't be exposed to a new generation.

I am far from an Elvis Stojko fan but I certainly appreciated his technical ability, determination and persistance (sometimes skating through some pretty ridiculously painful injuries). I agree that with the underscoring in the early 90's .vs. the overscoring in the latter half, it kind of balances out. I wouldn't have him on this list.

I know I'm going to get jumped on, but do you know who I always thought was overscored? Young Irina Slutskaya. The hunched shoulders, the telegraphed lutz entry... she turned into a completely different skater around 2000, but her 1995-1998 results were a little much I think. That's just me. I feel like my friend Joe, who's a huge Irina Slutskaya fan is just around the corner waiting to yell at me for saying this... haha.

24. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I would never in a million years have included Irina Slutskaya on the list of most overscored skaters in Men's Singles. :shuffle:

25. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Ulrich Salchow. He should've been a nine-time World Champion at the very most. :blah:

26. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Why would these three be on the list? Were they uniquely overscored in their day?

27. spikydurian

Apparently according to Wiki, Vladmimir Kovalev was seen as overscored.

28. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

The judge from Czechoslovakia who placed Curry ahead of Kovalev overall at 1976 Euros is a minor hero of mine.

29. judgejudy27

Kovalev was definitely overscored. IMO he didnt deserve either of his World titles (even considering figures), his Olympic silver in 1976, and many of the medals he won. He probably would have been my 2nd choice behind Chan.

30. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Active Member

First, I have to be honest and admit I can't really jugde how overscored/underscored some of these skaters are, since some of them were... well, before 'my time' as a skating fan. Of course I know these names, but I definitly don't know a lot about the older competitions, the scoring there, and so on.

I just thought I'd jump in and state that while I was one to speak against some of Chans results and against him being dominant as a skater - I think he doesn't 'deserve to win' this poll. Let alone Lysacek was a lot more overscored to me than Chan could ever be. With Chan, at least there are his amazing SS, huge jumps, the quads... I don't agree with the scoring, but there are points speaking for Chan. With Lysacek, it still feels like someone wants to tell me 1 +1 = 5 or I just missed the magic trick that can make 'average' look like 'awesome'. Yes, Lysacek was often clean, but honestly... that's it.