Most Hated Baby Names

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

According to an unofficial survey, the most hated baby names in America are Nevaeh for girls and Jayden for a boy.

See the top 10 (or 11) lists of hated names for girls and boys here.

I liked this quote from the person who conducted the survey:

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've never even heard of Nevaeh.
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I like the name Jayden. Booo!

The name Aiden is on the list which is the name I plan on using if I ever have a boy. Oh well! lol
  4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Skittl1321 - you are lucky

I like the name Jaden, but not Jayden :shuffle:
  5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:lol: It's all in the spelling, huh?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. genevieve

it is - unnecessary letters bug me

I'm also someone who hears words based on how they're spelled. Even though homonyms allegedly sounds the same, I hear them differently in my head [/freak]
  7. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I agree with Gertrude and Bertha. Yuck.

I also hate the name Emma. Can't understand why it's gotten so popular, honestly.

I don't mind the boy names though.

If I ever have kids (still not sure I want them, but I must on some level if I've thought of names, :lol) their names will be Sienna, for a girl and Tristan for a boy.
  8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

So "Kaitlyn" is disliked because of its "made-up spelling" but "Mikayla" isn't? :lol: I can only assume that "Mikayla" is disliked because it's just plain annoying.

I dislike almost every name on both lists, except for "Madison" because I know someone named that, but she was born in the mid-80s and it was a pretty rare girl's name at the time. Her grandparents were horrified at the parents' choice....
  9. genevieve

Yeah - I've seen the Kaitlyn spelling so much it seems normal now, but Mikayla seems like Michaela for people who've never seen it written down (plus it has that random Y in the middle which I've already expressed disdain for :drama: )
  10. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

I know a woman in her 20s named Neva, but the Nevaeh phenomenon has escaped my experience to date.

I'm personally not a fan of the Jaden/Jayden/Braden/Kayden/Aiden... rhyming boy's name phenomenon, but apparently many people this day and age feel differently.

I'm intrigued by how people choose their baby's names. My son got his first name because it was the first name mr skateycat and I could agree upon. We had his first name decided a long time previous, a not too difficult to pronounce word in my tribal language meaning 'good hunter and fisherman.'

It wasn't until two days before he was born that my mother in law had a few names to add to our massive list of possible first names, one of which was the name we eventually chose.
  11. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Its "Heaven" spelled backwards. Which is why the people who I know choose it. And they think they were oh so original when they choose it. :rolleyes: I can't stand these made up names either.

Or men who have the same first and last name .. how stoopid is that? Over the years I have worked for or with men named: John Johnson, Steven Stephens, Robert Robertson, Jack Jackson ... what the hell? Who would intentionally name their kid that way?
  12. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I think "Mikayla" got its backlash for being part of the rash of "Mc" names for girls (doubly silly as the prefix "Mc" used to indicate 'son of'.)

If I ever have a boy, he'll end up something like John or Alan. (I don't even like extraneous letters like "Allen.") A girl, probably would get something like Michaelina or Helena (family names and suitably Slavic.)
  13. SceneIt

SceneIt DoneIt

I'd like to add Eugenie and Beatrice to the hated name list, especially after today!:lol:
    sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  14. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Me, neither. How do we even pronounce it? :confused:
  15. BigB08822

I don't know a single person with this name.

It also seems a bit ironic to chose a name that is heaven spelled backwards. That's almost like the opposite of heaven so why not just name your child Hell or Devil or Lucifer?
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I teach in an elementary school and a daycare and I have seen Nevaeh. Now parents are using Evaeh as well. There are both Addisons and Madisons in the 3 year old class. Actually have students with most of those names. There are also some other weird names like Merica.
  17. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

oh I also dislike the name Justice as all of the Justices I know have been quite, um, difficult behaviour wise ;)
  18. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Nuh-vay-uh

At least that's how it's pronounced around here.
  19. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

I can't believe Helga didn't make the list.
  20. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Well you probably wouldn't. It didn't exist before the 1990s, but came in with a vengeance to number 150 in the top 1000 girls' names is 2003, climbing up to 31 in 2007. It's still a top 30 name (as of 2009). So most Nevaehs would be under 18. And it is most popular in working class evangelical circles, which is not the demographic of most of us on this board.
  21. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

"Heave" spelled backwards? :rofl: Are they generally hefty girls?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Heave spelled backward?:yikes:

Well, if you have bad associations with people you've known, even the prettiest-sounding, best-meaning name could lead to dislike.

I kind of like virtue names if they're not religious and sound nice, so I'm cool with Justice as a name.
  23. BigB08822

My bf teaches 2 girls named Unique. Isn't that so...unique?
  24. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

When I worked for an agency that did Head Start, I swear, half the kids were named Destiny (or Destinee, Deztanee, etc), Mikayla and Neveah.

One of my good friends is actually named Destiny. She claims that she must have been named after her father's favorite stripper. She goes by her middle name, Nicole.
  25. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Gosh, that sounds awful. :shuffle:

:lol:
  26. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Same. I would hear "Geneveev" differently than "Genevieve", for example. And I would dislike "Geneveev". :lol:

Sure her name wasn't from "Splash" (1984)? Because that name was about to get HUGE.
  27. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I really hate the trend of naming your son someone's surname. Jackson. Landon. Watson. Kingston. The other day I overheard a woman say to her toddler, "Come over here, Lincoln" and I had to fight the urge to punch something.
    meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.
  28. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I can't help it if I think that virtually all the names in that article scream either trailer trash and/or Ebonics at me. :yikes: :scream:

ETA: The last name trend is very old school Southern, but they give me the "pretentious social climber wannabe" creeps when I hear them too often.
  29. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

They bug me too, but I wouldn't pronounced Jaden and Jayden in the same way. The addition of the y changes the sound of the a, for me.
  30. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

The name "Madison" was first heard in "Splash", but oddly the name didn't really take off until about 20 years after the movie, hitting its peak in 2004 (number 3). For the 80s, it hovered on the 500s. It's on its way down now, although still top 10.

So its popularity may not be due to the movie, but part of the general trend in naming girls with masculine sounding names and surnames which took off in the 90s.

I hate the name "Madison", but like "Madeleine".
  31. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I would unless I knew the accent was on different syllables.
  32. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

This reason is exactly why I despise the name "Jennifer" and always will. :p Oh and "Lauren" as well.
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  33. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Never. ;)
  34. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

THIS is why I couldn't name a kid "Addison."
  35. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Well, the Evaeh is just a few months old so only time will tell;) I also know a 5 year old Lincoln... and a 5 year Tom Brady lastname. I guess his parents are football fans. There is also a J'Lynn.

ETA I also know a Bradye, Meadow, Dante (suits him well though), Madysun, Kaytea, Hunter and a Storm
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  36. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

:eek:
    :eek:

I hope the second one's parents are happy when her playground nickname is "Teabag".
  37. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Kaytea is actually an adult which is why it shocked me so much
  38. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Nothing wrong with Meadow, Dante or Hunter imo. Storm is a little too soap opera, but not necessarily bad.

Those odd spellings kinda bug though. My nephew's name is Dillan. Annoys the heck out of me to see it spelled that way. I wish they'd just gone with Dylan.

Extraneous letters also kinda bug, like with Ashleigh. Course I could be biased because my name is spelled Ashley, but, whatever. :D
  39. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

Neveah also got popular due to the MTV show "Cribs". The lead singer of P.O.D. introduced his daughter, Neveah, and explained that it's heaven spelled backwards. That apparently blew the minds of "Cribs" viewers. :lol: It was a baby name hit for young parents in the early 2000s, and then Evangelicals got a hold of it. I don't know why Neveah is so much more preferred than just Heaven, but I assume people like the a-sound at the end of a girl's name.
  40. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

...and I went to college when a Jynyphyr... I am NOT kidding. I wanted to find her mother and punch her in the face!