Most Handsome Men in Figure Skating

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Xela M, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

2. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

3. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Fabian Bourzat, Robin Szolkowy, Stephane Lambiel, Brian Joubert, Andrew Poje, Peter Tchernyshev, Luca Lanotte,

4. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

5. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

6. carey579

carey579 Member

Not trashy at all and actually much needed. I've only been a fan of figure skating less than a year but it seems the men take a very backseat in terms of being appreciated for their looks. The ridiculous difference in male and female costumes could also be a factor but that's a whole other subject.

7. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

I actually prefer it when male skaters wear something very simple. I find the over the top costumes tend to detract from a skater's good looks. Alexei Urmanov is a good example - such a handsome man, but usually looking ridiculous in some costume-from-hell extravaganza. Ilya Kulik's 1998 long programme costume was so bad it should have been marked down!

8. moviechicko_o

moviechicko_o New Member

I feel like the best looking guys are the pairs and ice dancer skaters anyways.

9. carey579

carey579 Member

Charlie imo peaked in terms of his looks during his teenage years up to his & Meryl's first senior year in 2006/7. Look at him in this video - so pretty :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCAV-HewiBg

Then he grew out those signature curls and gained weight and I agree with you on the sex appeal.

But he is really charming and when he dances I can think of no other male on the planet. He's my absolute favourite, I'm obsessed!

10. carey579

carey579 Member

By difference I meant how the girls can wear anything - pants/shorts/skirts but the guys have to wear pants and pants only.

I guess figure skating reflects the wider world where men's fashion is very constricted while women can wear any shape/cut ever envisioned by the human mind.

I mean Fabian Bourzat (who btw is so hot) had to wear pants underneath his 'Shendyt' in the Egyptian FD in 2012 while Nathalie was wearing so little.

Maybe it also has to do with the chivalrous nature of society where the women are the pretty sex and men dress down for them to shine.

I think it's a pink elephant in the room situation where in a sport so campy, the men show very little skin while the women's underwear is visible for the world to see.

11. carey579

carey579 Member

Nikita Katsalapov in anything is a sight to behold :smokin: I kept pausing the TV every time they did a close up on his face during the Olympics :)

Loved his Black Swan FD costume - something different within the constrictions of menswear, medieval Disney Prince-like and sexy. The tight leather(?) pants were a delight. Yet again very conservative compared to Elena's outfit which looked like a thong underneath her tutu.

Sue Barker really annoyed me though. She has a crush on Elena and has been saying for the entire season on their Black Swan FD - 'Nikita does his part but you cannot take your eyes off Elena' :angryfire

Anyway Nikita is my new favourite - he's so handsome and the way he dances, imo he is the only guy that can replace Charlie as the ice dance king.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  12. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Member

I forgot Fabian Bourzat .) Ooh la la very hot

13. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Ice Dancers will usually be the sexiest
    Pair skaters will usually be the manliest
    Single skaters will usually be the cutest

And am i the only one here who wants to do Luca lanotte ?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  14. carey579

carey579 Member

I agree. Usually they say that about the girls but it's true for the boys too.

I want to add Paul Poirier to my list. Now there's a classic face - Clark Kent on ice.

http://web.icenetwork.com/images/2011/11/09/6rdfNvFk.jpg

15. skateforever

skateforever New Member

This!! I can't agree more :D

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I agree with you re: Todd. I still think he's a rather handsome guy (with gorgeous blue eyes), who has aged well. Love his skating and his demeanor on & off the ice.

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear, here. Re: "Taka", I'm thinking of Takahiko Kozuka! :D

Additions to the handsome/good looking/cute guys - John Kerr (hot!), Javier (adorable), Jeff Buttle (cute), Stephane Lambiel (very cute/good looking), Paul Wylie (always thought he was very handsome, adore his skating, and still think he is reasonably good looking), Sergei Grinkov of blessed memory (very handsome)

17. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

18. annie_mg

annie_mg Active Member

Lambiel and Poje. Sigh. :swoon:

My heart just melts watching them skate. I know Stephane's gay, but Poje isn't and that makes him even more attractive!

19. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I think Adam Rippon is better-looking than Max Aaron, but both are plucked and tweezed within an inch of their life and that's not a good look.

I agree that Joshua Farris is probably the most classically handsome of the current U.S. men.

The Italian pairs guy -- Matteo Guarise -- has a good 3/4 and side profile, but doesn't photograph well from the front, despite being a "model." I do have to say that John Zimmerman is still the modeliest (that's not really a word).

Brian Joubert and Fabian Bourzat have lost some of their looks with age but are still handsome, as is their countryman Morgan Cipres.

Platov has aged well, and so has Vadim Naumov.

I'd say Nikita Katsalapov is the most handsome guy in skating -- and Deividas Stagniunas like a slightly less handsome version lol.

20. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

It's called the patriarchy. Women exist to look good for men, and their bodies are public property. A man's social worth does not derive from his physical attractiveness. Also, in a socially conservative world view, scantily clad male = gay = bad.

21. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

And other women too, no? A not stereotypically "girly" young woman was wondering out loud at one point why so many women were into fancy nails and such, and that she didn't think they were doing that for men, and as a man I certainly am not more attracted to women with painted nails in all kinds of designs. I don't really care for painted nails at all. That's just a slightly silly example and a small sample size, but I also see that often women tend to be as critical or more critical of other women's appearances as men. (For example, I've been pretty vocal in my distaste for the "fashion police" type threads where women's clothing and makeup and appearance are picked apart, almost exclusively by women). I find placing such importance on women's appearance to be offensive, even though I also recognize that it's a little hypocritical since I am heterosexual and am as affected by what I perceive as beautiful, especially in women, as anyone else in a basic psychological and physiological sense.

Also, there are studies that show bias based on appearance in both sexes (for example they earn less). The first study that came up actually found the wage gap was worse for men, though the author offers some explanations as to why that might be that don't necessarily indicate that appearance is more important for men than women in that area. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203687504576655331418204842

22. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That's not totally true though. Studies show that good looking men are paid more. And I think society values good looking -people- higher.

It's just easier for a man to not need good looks, than women- but men certainly benefit from it as well.

23. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

Not saying men don't benefit from being good-looking but they are, for example, judged more on their career and their income than on their pure physical looks per se. A man's charm and personality factor into his overall attractiveness much more than is the case for women, who need to be attractive AND charming, intelligent, etc. And girls are from a very young age told to value aesthetics and "prettiness" - a 5 year old girl will be told a lot more often that she is "pretty" than a 5 year old boy will be told that he is "handsome." And sure, a straight man is unlikely to comment on a woman's nails or shoes but men and women can be equally ruthless toward another woman's physical appearance, particularly when it pertains to her physical body, not the superficial styling and cosmetics.

Anyway, back to objectifying men. :)

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

And he needs to rethink those chola brows.

25. Bue

Bue Active Member

I'd agree that Scott Moir is not good looking. He is actually very average and his nose is distracting. But his skating and acting skills, his funny personality and his sizzling chemistry with Tessa somehow combine to make him very attractive.

Well said. I love it when two of my passions collide - figure skating and patriarchy bashing!

What, you're not a fan of giraffes in tuxedos?!

26. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

:lol: I've also seen it described as "Taxi Collides with a Cow"

Seriously, wtf was that costume all about?! :scream:

27. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I'm surprised Morgan Cipres hasn't been mentioned yet :eek:, unless I missed it. Also didn't see Dylan Moscovitch mentioned either. He's more "hot" than handsome though...that body!

28. skating is fun

skating is fun Member

Christopher Bowman (early nineties), Denis Petrov, Evgeni Platov, Steven Cousins, Ondrei Hotarek, Alexei Urmanov, Paul Duchesnay, Ilia Kulik, Gorsha Sur, Peter Tchernychev, Brian Boitano, Brian Pockar, Hongbo Zhao (saw him wearing a limegreen string under white pants once...), Daisuke Takahasi, Maurizio Margaglio, Petri Kokko, Oleg Ovsiannikov, Rudi Cerne, Peter Oppegard, Mark Mitchell, Viktor Petrenko, Eric Millot, Eric Radford, Nikita Katsalapov........

I know that some of These guys are gay, but still eye candy ;-) Some may not have aged well, but during their respective prime time, I found them pretty hot. I think Kozuka and Rippon are cute, but not in a masculine way.

29. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I mentioned Morgan in my post.

Total chola eyebrows. He reminds me of the gangbanger girlfriends I went to school with.

30. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

A G-string??? :rofl:

I agree, Hongbo Zhao is quite handsome. I remember reading in "The Second Mark" that one of the big concerns teaming Shen and Zhao up was that she wasn't pretty enough for him. Can you imagine if they never teamed up because of that? BTW, I think she turned out to be quite pretty herself and they complement each other so well.