Most disliked coach.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by OrioleBeagle, May 1, 2011.

1. edonice

edonice New Member

It's been increasingly painful to watch Tom Z in the kiss and cry. This year there were his push-ups after Rachael's program at Skate America(bringing the attention squarely on him rather than on his skater, where the attention belonged), then Joshua Ferris after his long program at Nationals. Joshua's furious reaction was that of someone who'd been pushed against his better judgment. I've never met Tom Z, but based on kiss and cries alone, he strikes me as manipulative, attention-seeking, and all around slimy. Is it possible that he has connections to USFS in Colorado Springs, or are they just ignoring his behavior? As far as I can tell, it's reprehensible and reflects incredibly poorly on US Figure Skating.

2. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Based on impressions while watching skating and articles (during many, many years) there are a few coaches I donĀ“t admire

- Mishin
    - Zhulin
    - Tom Z
    - Tarasova

3. wowonice

wowonice New Member

When a coach is 'not so nice', demeaning to their skater, making poor judgement calls regarding whether a skater should compete or not, sociopath, egotistical- more often than not to the detriment of the skater(s)...where are the parents?? Brainwashed?

4. pinky33

pinky33 New Member

I can not speak about USFSA, but the ISU does not want parents around. It is made perfectly clear at the competitions that parents are not at all a part of the sport. It is never said, but it is felt loud and clear. It is very interesting since without parent support there are very few if any skaters that could actually get to that level. There are always exceptions to the rule and some parents that have a difficult time remembering what their role should be. So, as far as RF, the parents may have been left as far out of the loop as possible. Remember she is over 18 and they do not need to consent and do not have rights to medical info.

5. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I'm just pleased that no one said Mr. Sato, Frank, or Priscilla Hill...or Yuka..

The only coach that I ever intensely disliked was Pam Gregory.

6. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

At this point, I'm almost disliking Tom Z. as much as I do Morozov. :mad:

7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Any particular reason? I don't know much about Pam Gregory, except that she coached Kimmie to the 2006 World title.

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Nikolai, but his skaters go out there and perform. Very rarely will they miss more than one jump per program, and they never have a meltdown. They are very, very consistent.

Just look at Elene G...two triple lutzes back to back and no pops? When's the last time that's happened?

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Shpilband/Zueva win hands down, as far as I am concerned, for turning ice dance into a series of technical elements with shockingly bad choreography.

Tom Z comes second (although he's a DILF and I'd totally shag him :D). Dupagegal said it better than I could:

What an ass.

Brian Orser comes third for his immature, diva behaviour, closely followed by Frank Carroll. The competition between them on who can be a meaner bitch is very :watch: to watch though. :p

Oleg Vasiliev gets the fifth place for sleeping with his students and being a cold, nasty wanker.

Morozov is a asshole privately, yes. But he gets very good results with his skaters and is capable of interesting choreography if he tries. He also seems to be great at supporting his students.

Ola Kauc, commentating for Polish Eurosport said that he was the best choreographer she's ever worked with. He was kind, supportive, really focused on them and made sure that they were comfortable with the choreography he was giving them. And all that despite Kauc/Zych definitely not being a priority for him.

So whilst I wouldn't want Morozov as a friend, ;) I'd definitely like to be coached by him if I was a skater. :)

10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Although Priscilla's coats are another matter.

11. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Her treatment of Kimmie and her comments re: MK..not to mention her lovely disposition in Hartford in 06.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  12. senorita

senorita New Member

Sleeping with students must be the trend lately?
    Morozov is loooking for some kind of guiness record or to strike Vasiliev's? :p

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I think that's an old tradition, if some of the archives dish is true....

14. senorita

senorita New Member

^really? just dont tell me tarasova was sleeping with yagudin cause i ll flip!

15. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

I've never got why Frank Carroll is so beloved; he always struck me as being a bit...crotchety. :lol: And a tad...uptight. I can't say I "dislike" him though.

What's the story with Pam Gregory?

Cornfed likes this.
  16. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Kwaniacs don't like her because she said something like Kimmie won't skate "safe" like Kwan. Kwaniacs took that comment way too seriously as per usual.

There was also criticism that she didn't comfort Kimmie in the Kiss N Cry when she had that epic meltdown at Nationals.

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  17. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Well, he is well over retirement age and he did not start getting much attention until he was over 50 except around 1980, when he was in his 40s.

18. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Morozov is too funny to be disliked! Mishin acts tough but is a funny character.

I vote for Robin Wagner now. My dear namesake (Frau M herself) in the past.

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm glad this is in the Trash Can. The whole premise of this thread is certainly trashy!!! :lol: Surely we could have done some armchair critiquing of coaches in a less slimy way??

Yes, "disliked" was probably the wrong word to use in the thread title as most of us have never met coaches we wish would work in a different way with their students. And seeing a thirty second clip on TV at some event does not give us a very thorough insight into a person's character.

Maybe the thread title should have been "Annual FSU Coach Bitchfest". :lol:

20. pinky33

pinky33 New Member

:DCould not have said it better myself!

21. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I remember when Carroll wasn't always "Mr. Lovable." Back in the late 70s/early 80s, when he was coaching Fratianne, he was quite vocal and 'bitchy' about Carlo Fassi's politiks and influence among Euro skaters, especially about his hob-nobbing with German speaking judges and officials at ISU parties. Carroll implied, if not said outright, that Carlo made a deal with German-speaking officials to support Annet Poetsch over Fratianne, in turn for support for his student Robin Cousins. Even if this was correct, I remember how Frank's complaints came across initially as petty whining. Of course, I totally love and forgive him all of that now, 30+ yrs later.

22. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Yeah, his jokes about wanting to blow up Japan with a nuclear blast were extremely hilarious :rolleyes:

23. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I think the reason why so many like Frank Carroll is because he is always quite well-spoken...if not occasionally outspoken. He has always appeared as a good medium between the task master and confidant.

Eys, such as one that won't die about a certain U.S. men's national champion and his coach. :scream: And yes, very old indeed. Vasiliev and Morozov are not the first, and won't be the last. Honestly, I have no problem with coach/student relationships as long as the student (or the coach for that matter) are both of age. Though IIRC, isn't that technically forbidden under USFSA rules? Or am I mistaken?

I faintly remember a Michelle/Scott Williams rumor going around back in 2003. I know many here find Scott incredibly good looking, but I actually thought he was quite unattractive. :shuffle:

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I remember Callaghan screwing his underage students now. :/

What's he doing nowadays? Used to have a number of top skaters but not heard anything about him for a while.

25. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Sorry... what happened in Hartford? Either my memory bank is failing me or I never heard about it. IIRC Kimmie won silver at Skate America that year.

26. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

OT:
    Scott Williams is actually very attractive, IMO, if not a total hearthrob. BTW, Scott was reportedly more of a confidant than a coach to Kwan.

A pic with Kwan and some of Scott's yummy skating in his younger days:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=178

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aMG8sDyZ7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8at4FSsN7m0&NR=1
    (interesting addendum at end of this clip re Chris Bowman selected for 1986 Worlds by USFSA over Daniel Doran who came in 3rd at Nats--due to Chris having an injury)
    ETA: And :lol:, a guy named Tom Zakrajsek came in 12th at this competition.

Scott W "melts the ice" with this show routine to Truly, Madly, Deeply :) :cool: :smokin: Ooooh what a sexy vibe he sustains throughout ... :swoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8VYrbBj_MY&NR=1 Love the signature barrel rolls and the face forward slide (or should I say pelvis forward slide) near the end. Kudos to choreographer, Brian Wright. Great comment from the poster who said she's known Scott since he was a kid, and that he's "one of the coolest people on this Earth! ... May you leave such a legacy."

And this -- wow! Some may not find this performance attractive, but it has a raw appeal:
    http://www.tauntr.com/content/scott-williams-nirvana-figure-skater

Nice interview: http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2002/012303.shtml

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  27. wRECkSk8r

wRECkSk8r Active Member

That's funny! :lol:

28. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I thought Sash said the "you look pretty today" thing to Robin? Not 100% sure as I'm too lazy to double check :D

29. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Meh. He just doesn't do it for me...at all. :lol: But to each his own!

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Continuing OT, sorry this is not the best place ...
    ^^ :lol: True, IceJunkie, to each his own! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Anyways, I have to thank you for mentioning Scott Williams, as it prompted me to check the Internet for photos and clips of him, and I found videos of him skating that I hadn't seen before! Sure, Scott W is not the most handsome guy in the world, but attractiveness is often more about what comes from within and is projected outward and expressed through one's skating, words, actions, the life you lead. Scott W obviously has great joy for skating and gave it his all during his amateur and professional careers. He has surely given many fans lots of pleasurable memories/ moments through his skating (not to mention all the things he has done for the sport). I also appreciate what Scott W said about Michelle Kwan, which is so eloquent and true: The most exquisite quality Michelle has to offer is that she's not afraid to skate with her heart and soul. This takes a great deal of courage and is very rare. It doesn't come simply from technique, but rather from the way a person handles everything in their life.

Another plus I must thank you for IceJunkie, is that finding the clips of Scott Williams' skating performances also gave me the wonderful opportunity to remember his choreographer, Brian Wright, and to appreciate what Brian gave to the skating community and to the people who loved him. I found this touching tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCNBpn3NUcw