Most Controlling/Difficult Skating Mom

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Who was the most controlling/difficult skating mom?

1. Suzanne Bonaly

32 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Shuguang Zhao (Caroline Zhang's mother)

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. Marjorie Chin

21 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. Julie McDonough

26 vote(s)
    19.7%
  5. Park Mee-hee (Kim Yu-Na's mother)

10 vote(s)
    7.6%
  6. Jennifer Leung

16 vote(s)
    12.1%
  7. Jody Flatt

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. Danny Kwan

12 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. Doris Fleming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Raymonde Joubert

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  11. Galina Cohen

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  12. Other

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Marjorie Chin, easily.

A friend of mine used to skate at Lake Arrowhead around the same time that Tiffany was training there.

According to him when Tiffany missed a triple toe loop over and over in practice one day, after Chin left the ice, Marjorie slapped her daughter in full view of everyone.

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Did anyone do anything about it, such as contact the police, Social Services, the USFSA, or the PSA? If so, what happened? If not, why not?

Any adult who witnesses something like this and does nothing ought to be ashamed of himself.

3. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I remember Debi Thomas saying something to the effect that everyone wanted or had a nose job during that era, and it was no big deal. I was rather stunned to hear that. I was also surprised since while I think Debi is pretty, she has a very big nose, and that's *after* the nose job.

4. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

Now, Margaret, not all of us have your direct line to MI6.

I wonder what Mme. Bonaly charges for coaching on English vocabulary. :COP:

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I give no credence to stories like this. That wasn't the purpose of this poll. A second or fourth hand account of an alleged rink slapping from 28 years ago is not reliable.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

You raise points that prompted me to ask those very questions.

Still, public incidents of physical and emotional abuse by athletes' parents not unknown in other sports, and some governing bodies (in tennis, for example) have done quite a bit to address the problem. What, if anything, are the USFSA, Skate Canada, the ISU, etc., doing?

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

No, it leads to girls being unhappy because their parents are not supportive of what they are doing (assuming this claim is true). It is possible to raise a child to become successful academically and professionally without pushing them away from doing other things.

8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Just because parents make sacrifices for their children does not mean they are good parents, or non-abusive parents.

9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I agree with this. Some parents would benefit from looking around at how others have successfully reared their skater babies.

10. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Frank Carroll has talked about what a lovely woman Mrs Fratianni was. I would rather believe him than some skating fan passing on 5th hand rink gossip. I never heard any of this stuff during Linda's amateur days. Some of the posts here are just baseless gossip. Pretty distasteful. :blah:

11. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

This is the ultimate Trash Can poll--LOL!

ETA: Lucinda Ruh's mother should be on the list. In her book, Lucinda said her mother used to hit her if she didn't do well in practice!

12. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

yet somehow they are allowed to get away with it.............

13. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I don't think Pat Lipinski seemed very controlling. If anything it seemed like she allowed Tara to be in charge and it was very obvious Tara wanted to practice as hard as she did. She did seem a little goofy though.

14. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

There are good parents and there are bad parents. No matter what walk of life you are in. Parents have to make choices on how to support their children in whatever endeavor that they do. Each of the parents that you mention have had some public demonstrations of what you might consider to be poor parenting. But does that in itself make them a bad parent?

Or are you talking about how the parent is to interact if you are a coach, rink management, choreographer of the skater?

15. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

If Danny Kwan is on this poll, where is Papa Henie?

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I was thinking that. I never got any hint she was a "skate mom" in the "stage mother" sense. I always got the impression Rachel was the one with the drive and the parents were just along for the ride. For that matter, I never got any sense that the Cohen parents did anything to warrant the label, either.

I think Ma Lipinski is a more worthy inclusion on the list of candidates, but she wouldn't be my winner. I think the worst would be the Moms who made their skater so miserable they quit the sport (like Leung and AP McDonough).

17. mkats

mkats New Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jennifer Kirk's mother.

http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/2009/08/04/the-overzealous-skating-parent/

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  18. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

delete

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  19. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I agree that Papa Henie definitely belonged on this list. From what I've read and seen in documentaries, he was really something. No one will ever beat Suzanne Bonaly though. She was pretty terrifying. I've known a couple pretty scary 'Skate Moms' in real life too. It takes all kinds.

20. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

Could not agree more! So sad, I guess these people have no idea how much sacrafice these families make. There is no one size fits all experience for skaters. A skaters life is so hard. The old saying of "walking in someone else's shoes", comes to mind. How about positive Poll! Lets see that glass half full!:)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  21. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I didn't have the chance to meet the majority of them, but for years I thought Joubert's mom was difficult. Not bad to him in any way, but kinda pain in the ass for constantly being around and controlling her son's life. But then last year in Nice when I asked Brian for a picture, she started joking around (in English!) and I kinda changed my opinion about her. She can be quite fun when she wants to.

On the other hand, there are so many absolutely loveable skating parents. Like, who didn't love momma and pappa Kerr? :)

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  22. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The Kerrs' parents were respectful and supportive of their children. We need a separate thread about ice dance moms, featuring Mrs. Belbin and Irina Cherniaeva, the mother of Marina Anissina who allegedly hired a Russian mobster to fix Salt Lake City.

23. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Why aren't there more ambitious Norwegians in the sport today?

24. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I am afraid if I don't vote for Jennifer Leung what she might do to me.

25. AKA

AKA Member

If you ask any one of those skaters I bet all would say they wouldn't have made it to the top without their parent. Most truly appreciate the needed push. There are some but very few make it to the top without a parent or mentor pulling them through the tough moments...

26. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Galina Cohen never struck me as controlling. Sasha always seemed very much in control, very strong willed and did just exactly as she wanted in spite of her coaches which in hindsight probably hurt her more than helped in learning proper technique on jumps like the Lutz. I don't recall ever even seeing Galina in the stands. Just Sasha's dad and sister.

Wow. I'd like to change my vote from Bonaly's mom to Ruh's!

27. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I guess we don't really know if Mrs. Cohen was controlling because she mostly stayed out of the spotlight. They never showed her on TV or anything and I think I've only seen photos of her. Wasn't it rumored she did not get along with Tarasova and that was the reason for Sasha leaving Simsbury?

I don't get why Mrs. Flatt is on this poll either. It's well-known she's posted on this board before, but she didn't really say anything bad.

Danny Kwan and Mrs. Park (Yuna's mother) have an unfair reputation as stage parents, IMO. They may have been "intense" at times but I don't think either have done anything like berate their daughter in front of the camera crew.

28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I don't think Mama Leung's first name is Jennifer, unless I missed something.....Jennifer is the English name of Mira's last coach of record that was not her mom.

I would have to vote either for Mama Leung, having witnessed her mothering/coaching in person, or Julie McDonough, who IIRC very proudly told the story that, when she first held little Ann Patrice in her arms, said to her "you will be a skater". Poor Ann Patrice didn't ever seem to have had much choice in the matter....

29. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I'm curious - what is the story on Mrs. Belbin?

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Well, it isn't exactly an official list, but yeah strangely missing somehow, especially in view of some of the other mentions. ;)

Even stranger is how anyone can vote informatively unless they intimately know each person on the list and/ or witnessed any of their supposed "controlling/ difficult Mom" behaviors.

And as already observed, I never realized Danny Kwan was a "skating Mom," despite his being accused of trying to be a skating coach. :lol:

:rofl: Like most hysterical polls, it's non-historical, and apparently too difficult for an over eager pollster to take into account what happened before his/ her time.

ETA:

Hearsay, hearsay, hearsay! :lol:

From what I've heard ;) Debi and others say about her Mom in interviews/ commentary, Debi's Mom apparently was encouraging of her daughter's love of skating and made personal sacrifices to support Debi in everything she aspired to achieve.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013