Moscow Men's event - Who will Man Up?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skatingpj, Apr 24, 2011.

1. skatingpj

skatingpj New Member

Handicapping the men's field in Moscow, what are the chances that the bar that Chan set at Canadians is the first of many for him or once in a lifetime? Does Chan's outstanding National win make him the man to beat?

If you are willing to be quoted during the CBC broadcast - kindly put an OK at the end of your response. If you would like to simply share your thoughts - am looking forward to reading them!! Cheers :) Pj

2. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

I do not consider Chan to be the man to beat.Nor do I think that what he has done is the achievement of a lifetime,there is always room for improvement.-OK

3. skatingpj

skatingpj New Member

Hi Andrushka...I guess what I meant was that it was a pretty memorable performance - by anyone's standards and I am talking performance and not scores because national scores don't mean much to me...so...who is the man to beat for you?

4. Mathman

Mathman Active Member

Chan is Mr. CoP. He is the first (perhaps of many to come) who has totally mastered the IJS. He will do three quads. He will do a level four footwork sequence. He will get 9.0 in Skating Skills and 8.5 in Transitions. (The only reason he wonÂ’t get 9.0 in Transitions is that for some reason Transitions always runs a half point behind Skating Skills). His only rival in P&E, CH and INT is Takahashi, who is unlikely to land a quad.

OK

5. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

I believe Takahashi is the odds on favorite to take the Men's title. Chan definatlely is in the mix and Oda could surprise. Let's just say that I would not care to predict the outcome; the field is wide open as I see it. OK

6. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Chan will win without any doubt if he puts together 2 clean programs with quads like he did during the Canadian Nationals. Takahashi might challenge him if he lands quads but I doubt he will.
    OK

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  7. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

I believe that, if Patrick Chan is able to skate at the same level he did at the Canadian National Championships, he will be standing at the top of the podium at Worlds. He is most definitely the man to beat.
    OK

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Chan will win if he skates clean or close to it, but I want Takahashi to take ti all. Chan is no doubt talented and special, but his skating does not move me the way Daisuke's does. I'd love to see Brian cap a disappointing season with a medal; and I would also love to see Kozuka or Oda medal.

There are too many talented men int his field and only 3 medals. It will be exciting and depend on who skates the best on the day.

9. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

While I do think that the gold is between Chan and Takahashi (my two favourites skaters, so I'm loving it!), let's not count out the underdog. There are so many talented men, I don't know who might have the skate of his life and step on the podium. OK

10. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

For a post Olympic year the mens field is so strong. If they all skate clean it's Chan's for the taking but who knows what may happen. Chan is a skaters skater. OK

11. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

He is the man to beat. that's why he has to be careful, given Patrick's ego. he shouldn't take this for granted, as the Japanese contingent is very strong

OK

12. misskarne

misskarne #408

Chan will never be the man to beat until such time as he can consistently land his 3A and 4T in competition.

He has only done that at two competitions this season, and Canadian Nationals must be disregarded as all scores at National Championships for any country tend to be over-inflated.

Though his lines are nice and clean, I also feel that his PCS tend to be ridiculously over-inflated.

His delivery lacks emotional intensity, and I find that he does not "capture" my attention - I am easily distracted watching him.

If Daisuke Takahashi puts all his elements together, he could very well be impossible to beat, especially if he lands the 4F.

I would also not exclude Oda or Hanyu as surprise packets, and Gachinsky will be very eager to do well on home soil, although he has the tendency to be overwhelmed by pressure instead of using it to his advantage.

The American men will also be eager to prove that they are a superior overall team without Lysacek.

OK.

sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

It is Kozuka who is Japanese No.3 not Hanyu. Yes I agree if Hanyu is given than chance he can be a factor, depth of Japanese men's skating is just scary.

As for your question pj, I don't think Chan is the man to beat at the championships. His Canadian championships performance was good but I don't think that will makes him the favourite. He has yet to show a consistency that one expects from a favourite, falling less often is one way to do that and if he does that here I think it will show his mental toughness. Personally I think it is going to be one of the Japanese that is going to win the title, very likely Takahashi but I would be more than happy if it is Kozuka.

Ok

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. mmot

mmot Active Member

Looking at the season's record so far, yes, the championship title is Chan's to lose. But that's what we all thought when Takahashi arrived in Gothenburg in 2008, after winning the Four Continents with 2 quads and the highest score in the history of the COP. Then we also know what happened to him. It'll be a battle of psychology and mental strength, as any other championships are.

OK

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Patrick Chan's GPF was just his second best competition this season and even if we deduct 10 points from his total score, he still outscores Takahashi's highest number of points at this year's 4CC. But while I am giving the edge to Patrick, I am not ruling out a Daisuke win.

16. minuet

minuet Well-Known Member

Based on what has transpired this season, there are 2 skaters who have set themselves apart in the PCS area - Chan and Takahashi. While some may not agree with it, it is who the judges have determined are the strongest in this area. This trend has taken place all season and I see no reason for it to all of a sudden drop at worlds. Whichever one can back up their program with the technical goods will win the title. Again, based on what has transpired this season Patrick has had the better skates than Daisuke especially towards the later stages of the season making him the favourite for worlds.

OK

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think Chan is the man to beat at Worlds this year, but his performance COULD be topped, most likely by Takahashi. I wouldn't count Brian Joubert out either, though. Even if he falters in the short he showed at Europeans that he could rise to the occasion in the long.

OK

18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Patrick is the man to beat this year. He has a powerful arsenal of skills and his last 2 competitions of the year justify that fact. If he skates both his programs cleanly, I feel that he will be unbeatable for this year. I'll be rooting for him.

OK

19. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I'm going to put this out there . . . I think Ryan Bradley will land on the podium. Yup, I said it.

ETA: OK!

20. aaron

aaron New Member

There's only one skater who has beaten Patrick, coincidentally in Moscow; Thomas Verner, I think, is the another alternative. He's armed with good edge quality and has the experience of landing 2 quads at Tokyo Worlds. If the pressure is off, I believe he can do some amazing job.

OK

21. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I'm not even that much of a Bradley fan, and I pretty much never make predictions, but I think he'll land on the podium too. He seems so primed, and the extra time has been a huge bonus to him.

ETA:OMG I can't believe I said that :lol:

22. sliver98

sliver98 Banned Member

Chan will win easily.

23. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

... probably, no matter how Candyman skates. One reason more of millions to root for Dai ... :kickass:

24. sliver98

sliver98 Banned Member

I hope Chan lands his three quads and Plushenko is there to witness it might stop any grandiose comeback attempts from him for Sochi.

25. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I would be exactly happy for either Chan or Takahashi to win, but I kind of feel that Chan might be stronger in Moscow.

26. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

It may seem like this event is Chan vs. Takahashi, but I have a feeling Kozuka and Verner could be sleepers to watch here. Tomas has found new consistency this season, has the confidence of having beat Patrick in Moscow this season, is capable of gorgeous quad-triple combos, and probably doesn't have much pressure on him at this event. As for Kozuka, he's been really consistent in the LP this season, which is a gem when he skates it well, and being the 3rd Japanese/the one who has to go through qualifying, I think that will take some pressure off him, making it more feasible for him to skate a blinder and end up on the podium, or even winning.

OK

27. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I don't think that Joubert has the consistency.
    I think it will be down to Chan and Takahashi again, but remember that Takahashi's 4CC FS had mistakes.
    I like Chan's program this year, and I'm really glad that she has two quads.
    Any news on whether Menshov will be trying to do the quad quad at worlds?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3GnlX4TlY

28. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Probably not since he won't be there! Gachinski is the only Russian entry.

29. wingnut

wingnut New Member

I think that Chan is definitely the favourite and has the most momentum heading into Worlds. It's a deep field but Chan and Takahashi stand head and shoulders above the rest in terms of having the complete package so I expect it to be a showdown between the two of them. Oda or Kozuka could upset if they bring their best to the table. Of course, under COP, anything can happen and it will be interesting to see if this "extended season" affects them when often skaters are looking to peak at the end of March.

I've been counting out Joubert for years now but he always comes through at Worlds and lands on the podium. Having said that, I will once again predict he will not make the podium.

OK

30. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Unless Chan falls 5 times he will win. And even then only if Takahashi skates cleanly. No real interest in the mens event as the winner was determined this past summer. The other 3 disciplines should be very interesting.