Morosov and Ando to marry

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Nikki Lee, May 11, 2011.

1. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

Just like a Japanese tabloid magazine just reported Mao and Dai are dating.:lol:

However, I wouldn't be so much surprised if they really got married. They often seem like they feel comfortable with each other and relaxed when they are together.

2. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Lol, no kidding! I mean, yeah, he's not the worst-looking Russian man I've ever seen, but how would you know where he's BEEN? And a classic example of what my Russian roommate's Russian mother warned us both (though where she thought we'd run into Russain men in southwest Virginia I don't know): "Stay away from Russian men! They're trouble!"

3. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I'm just curious, is divorce difficult in Russia? I've heard that in some communist/former communist countries it is not. Maybe Zhulin and Morozov don't go into it with the 'until death do we part' mentality. Morozov married Navka for citizenship, Zhulin claimed he married Usova so they could get a nicer apartment. Zhulin and Navka don't seem too concerned about whether their marriage lasts or not.

Admitting you got married for convenience would be a big scandal for a U.S. skater.

4. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Navka also married Kostomarov for Russian citizenship.

5. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I hope not! Zhulin is already re-married to Natalya Mikhailova, isn't he?

6. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

:watch:
    We can always trust the Russian brown press for some amusement...

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Huh? Wasn't she already married to Zhulin when she skated with Kostomarov??

I'm loving all the juicy gossip in this thread :watch:

8. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Navka was never married to Kostomarov.

9. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

And Kostomarov is one person who was never married to Morosov. :p

10. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Michelle Kwan. :slinkaway

11. millipied

millipied New Member

Katsalapov will change that.:lol:

12. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I think I just threw up in my mouth ...

(Hope this is just post-season BS)

O-

13. aliceanne

I've always wondered why Morozov didn't hit on Arakawa. She is the most beautiful of the women skaters IMO.

14. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Maybe he did -- and she had enough good sense to :kickass: him.

15. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

If the stories are true, Navka and Zhulin started out before he divorced Usova. I think the Navka/Morozov was a paper-only marriage for citizenship purposes.

16. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

April Fools??? OMG....

17. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Purple :p

18. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Maybe Morozov likes girls with big boobs?

19. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

http://www.lifenews.ru/news/20707

20. aliceanne

He may have still been married to Usova but he was going with Grishuk when he started with Navka. He was still skating with Usova, who subsequently dumped him to skate with Grishuk's partner Platov, leaving Grishuk with 2 Olympic gold medals, no professional career, and no boyfriend.

Grishuk and Zhulin did try competing against Usova and Platov at Landover but came in second to them, which pissed off Grishuk to no end. I don't believe they skated together after that.

And to think today's skaters talk about the emotional toll of Olympic competition!

21. aka_gerbil

When it comes to ice dance, I "imprinted" on U/Z, and they are still my all-time favorites out of all four disciplines, so I knew all of that. I left off the Grishuk stuff in my earlier reply for the sake of brevity. ;)

From the various things I've read, there was the infamous Grishuk affair. Navka and Zhulin happened after Dubova moved her training camp to Lake Placid. Navka was skating with Gezailan (sp?) at the time and also being coached by Dubova.

Speaking of today's skaters, whenever a successful team claims they can't stay together because of their off-ice relationship, etc., I feel like they need to review just how long U/Z stuck it out for the sake of their professional partnership. If they can do it, anyone can...

22. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Junior Mints.

23. aliceanne

Oh well, I can't keep up. I thought he and Navka were the perfect pair. Cheating made them feel important.

I wonder though if it didn't cost Zhulin Olympic gold. He and Grishuk were so brazen about their affair and so oblivious to Usova's public angst. It had to affect Grishuk's performance positively and Usova's negatively.

24. aka_gerbil

There was a Russian article I found more than a few years back. What I gathered from the babelfish translation, Zhulin also had a groin injury that year that seriously cut into their preparation time. The emotional stuff might have factored in, but I'd be willing to bet the injury had a bigger impact, and although I liked it, their program choice. (That said, I still maintain if the judges were going to deduct for T/D's lift, then they should have made ALL the appropriate deductions for G/P's over-long separations, and that U/Z should have had gold because of that. Otherwise, if they were going to ignore the G/P's separations, then T/D's lift should have been ignored as well).

To get back on topic, I'm hoping this thing about Ando marrying Morozov is not true. I think she deserves better.

25. SLIVER

SLIVER Well-Known Member

AFAIK, U/Z only started in Nov the year before the Olys because of his injury, that was a disaster. Piseev asked them to come to Moscow to get the prgs monitored and they refused, that was the end of olympic Gold hope, because the Russian Fed then switched to G/P. Strangely enough, even without Russia, U/Z nearly won the Gold in Hamar, they were off by 0.1 from one judge. The interesting part is that the ex Soviet satellite judges particularly, UKR and BLR stayed with them and didnt vote for G/P, thats something that never ever happened back then. Painfully close...

Yes their free was by far the worst of their career but no where near as heinous as G/P's rock n' roll, which was so vile. Another tidbid I remember is one judge (dont remember which now) who put G/P 1st, saying that she watched G/P's free dance again after and realised they didnt do much with their feet and thought the prog wasnt that good after all :eek::scream:

26. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I'd view it with scepticism. I googled for both Miki and Nikolai, and none of the news section mentioned marriage.

27. Octoberopals

Octoberopals New Member

Is this the continuation of the Russian Plague?

28. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Shae-Lynn Bourne and Elena Grushina would have to disagree with you.

If indeed they get married I wish them all the best.

29. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

OMG that was my first thought too!!!

But seriously ......

30. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Sigh...thanks for all that, I figured there were a bunch of women on the panel who wanted to punish the lout. Interesting intra-Russian rivalries in both pairs and dance in '94.

But ultimately, didn't the affair cause Dubova to exile G/P? This brought them to Tarasova, and then TAT worked her politicial magic.