More tornadoes in Oklahoma- any fsuers in Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Missouri?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, May 20, 2013.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

As if the damage yesterday was not enough- with 2 deaths and several homes destroyed-a fresh tornado/twister touched down near Shawnee, OK. I heard the damaged area is 500,000 square miles.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/severe-weather/index.html

Any fsuers in that region? Please be safe. Prayers.

2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

The pix are just heartbreaking! Just a short time ago, Moore, OK suffered a direct hit...much destructions...schools, businesses, homes. :(

We're in south-central Texas, so tornadoes are a possibility, but we live in a pretty safe, stable area weather-wise. Fire and tornadoes are my biggest fears. I lived in San Francisco during the big '88 quake and the big '89 fire in the Oakland...as bad as the quake was, the fire was scarier to me.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

If you are in Austin, I don't see a problem for you. If you were in West Texas, or even in the DFW area, I would be concerned. I remember a time when I lived in the DFW area, and I was driving from out of town (still in Texas) and there was a Tornado warning; it was very scary.

ETA: Poor Oklahoma City residents!

From CNN:

"Oklahoma resident: 'It's just devastating'

Two men, both in their 70s, were confirmed dead as a result of a tornado that hit Shawnee, said Amy Elliott, a spokeswoman for the state medical examiner's office.

When Kimberly Graham returned to the spot near Shawnee where her mobile home once stood, her 7-year-old son's orange bicycle was one of the only items that remained.

"Home, cars, garage, everything -- gone," she told CNN on Monday. "It's just devastating. Everything that you've worked for. Everything that you've built."

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  4. dardar1126

Too true...I have family in Arlington, and recently they were under tornado watch for the storm that hit Granbury. We're about 60 miles SE of Austin. Tornadoes aren't unheard of and we do get hail damage, but historically we've been more affected by inland damage from hurricanes.

5. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Member

I live on the north side of OKC and just had heavy flooding here. However, on my way home from work, at least 50 emergency vehicles passed by on their way to the southeast section of the city that looks to be pretty nearly flattened, including two elementary schools, a section of highway, community hospital, and a few subdivisions. Cell phone service is out, so no one has clear information yet on how many were unable to take shelter. Looks like a war zone.

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers to all the victims and theirs families.

7. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

The news images are terrifying. May there not be a great loss of life.

8. dardar1126

I'm so sorry for the loss and damage in Oklahoma. :(

9. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Saw one image and combined w/the images, if this thing isn't a F5, I'll be shocked.

Just beyond horrific and my Prayers and Thoughts go out to all. :(

10. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

:eek:

(((OK folks, including agal)))

11. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

so awful.. I hope all the children get out of the elementary school that was destroyed.. my hearts and thoughts with those in the Oklahoma/Texas area.. stay safe :(

12. dardar1126

The mayor of Moore is being interviewed on NBC...he said it looks like their hospital was destroyed, so they have to send people to hospitals in a nearby town; says his town looks like one big debris field...lots of homes and businesses gone.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  13. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

The pictures are truly frightening - Mother Nature seems to know no mercy. I hope our FSUers are all okay.

14. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Thoughts and prayers to the people in harm's way.

15. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

How horrible. Reportedly, there are yellow tape up to prevent parents from getting close to the school, so that rescuers can hear noises of any one in the crushed building.

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking the other day how we have had such a quiet tornado season thus far. I hope everyone stays safe, it doesn't appear to be over. The high risk area moves my direction tomorrow but I think I heard them say on the evening news that the front should stall before reaching us so hopefully that is true and it the storms wont make it this way. Not that that will help anyone in their path.

17. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Looking at the pictures on CNN of the destroyed elementary school, my prayers go to the families of the children and staff who were trapped in the school. By coincidence my school held its first tornado drill today.

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

((((hugs and support)))) to all affected by this.
    It's terrible to watch.

19. dardar1126

Twitter:

20. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

NBC is reporting 10 dead; CNN is is reporting 6 dead. :(

Agalisg, are you OK?

22. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT:

EDIT2:

23. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

KOKH just reported that the Associated Press has the number of fatalities at 37 :fragile: .

There will be a Press Conference at 7:30 local time (8:30 EDT) -- KOKH will be carrying it live (as will, I'm guessing, all of the MSM news outlets).

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  24. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

We've been in a media blackout down here--no cell service or Internet or power.
    We're ok--had to be evacuated briefly yesterday and schools on lockdown today, but everyone ok. Everyone is trying to call to see if we can locate folk. Hwy shutdown so can't travel.

More storms predicted for tomorrow, then hopefully we get a break.
    Thnx for the well wishes :)

25. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am hearing all sorts of conflicting reports about school children being dead. 27 dead, some drowned. I am hoping that it is all false reports, we have seen how the reporting is very untrustworthy in the moments after a catastrophe.

26. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Keep your head down. It's springtime in OK. You know the drill.

27. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Stay safe, ag. :( So much devastation.

28. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

Horrible and heartbreaking. I just heard from my friend who lives in OK City, and she's fine. Waiting to hear from cousin that her husband's relatives in Oklahoma are safe.

29. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

On a selfish note--if y'all could post weather and news updates, I'd be much obliged. Still no tv or internet service (doing everything from phone now), so don't really know what's happening.

Thnx!

30. dardar1126

Twitter:

EDIT: OMG! :eek:

EDIT2: