More of Gwyneth Paltrow than You Probably Want to See

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Dec 18, 2010.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. Schmeck

Schmeck New Member

Compared to what ice dancers wear, it's very modest. Compared to what many other actresses wear, it's still very modest. If I had a body like that, I'd show it off too! It's not like she was showing anything one couldn't see at the beach, or in a local public high school.

The back didn't seem too low cut to me - I wasn't seeing any butt cleavage!

3. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You really have to be willing to suck in your gut for the entire evening when you wear something like that, lol.

4. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the dress, but IMO it doesn't look any different than what most actresses wear these days.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

She doesn't have a gut to suck in.

6. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

7. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I actually kinda like it.

8. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I like the back of the dress a lot. I'd wear it. And I'm president of the local branch of the I Hate Snooty McNepotism club.

9. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I like it.

10. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

This dress was mentioned on E!'s Fashion Police show as one of the Best Dressed last week, IIRC. To say I'm no fan of Ms. Paltrow's is an understatement, but I thought the dress was smashing.

11. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Oh, dear, Gwynnie is naked under her clothes. :drama:

12. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Don't look now....but I'm totally naked under my clothes too. :eek:

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I like it. I think it works because the outrageous slit is balanced by the total coverage of the rest of the dress and the white color. It would be really bad in black though and would require a whip to go with it.

She looks great!

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

And she did a hell of a lot better than Angelina Jolie. Note the top of the dress was unfavorably compared to a figure skating costume. :lol:

15. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

If that was all Chris Martin got to watch regularly I´d feel sorry for the guy :p.

16. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

and a garbage bag on the bottom:lol::lol:

17. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

I like the dress.

18. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing much of her. It's really quite modest, and without the split it'd look like a confirmation dress :shuffle:

I was expecting something really out there, but this isn't bad at all. It's not particularly low cut by today's standards either :confused:

Compared to Liz Hurley's safety pin dress it's also pretty tame.

19. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

I like it. I think it's provocative without looking trashy.

20. mashenka82

mashenka82 New Member

I actually think it's a beautiful dress (and she looks amazing in it!). Clearly very sexy, but she can pull it off!

I'm really not sure I understand all the negative comments. JLo had a dress that had a cut down to her bellybutton (the infamous greenish one), plenty of actresses have worn much more revealing stuff and looked much worse doing it, but were still called sexy. You can see her back and her leg... I'm not sure why the controversy - she looks damn good!

21. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

That part made me wonder if she was pregnant. Though maybe it's just an odd angle.

I bet she showers naked too! :D

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Paltrow still looks very good but IMO those type of dresses are best left for starlets in their twenties or younger. Once you get past a certain age then it just look sort of desperate to dress like that in order to make a point that you "still have it".

23. Jubak

Jubak Well-Known Member

She looked great. Isn't she in her 30s anyway? 20s or younger? Gawd, totally inappropriate on a teenager. I'm not even a fan of Paltrow, either.

Jolie also looked fine. Not in love w/the dress and I liked the "figure skating" part of it. The skirt looked a bit too much. Maybe if the skirt was in a different color - nude or silver, I would have liked it just fine.

24. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I don't think she's trying to make a point like she's desperate to show she still has it; she does still have it, and she looks totally fabulous in that dress.

*Jen* and (deleted member) like this.
  25. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Well I think that's total bullshit. I don't agree with the idea that once you are past a certain age you have to dress more conservatively and/or frumpy. You should dress for what flatters your figure and is appropriate for the occasion and that depends on your figure and the occasion not your age.

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  26. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

And women in their thirties are SO over the hill. We should lock them up and never let them be seen in public in evening gowns :drama:

27. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I think the dress itself is kind of frumpy despite the skin. It reminds me of a beach cover-up robe.

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It reminds me of that Mary Tyler Moore episode where that ex-prostitute goes to fashion design school and makes a dress that she insists that Mary wear to some prestigious news awards banquet. It was a total hoochie dress :lol: just like this one.

29. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Yeah, a friend of mine commented a couple of years ago that Heidi Klum was too old to be wearing a short skirt (we were watching Project Runway). At the time, Klum was under 35. I was like, 1) 35 isn't too old to wear a short skirt 2) it's her JOB to wear outrageous/small clothes and 3) anyone with legs like that can wear short skirts no matter what their age is :lol: I was really shocked at my friend's attitude.

30. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

The part I bolded is the key, though. I know a woman who is a 38 year old Catholic elementary school principal and dresses like Heidi. At work. That is not appropriate for her job. Doesn't matter if she has the legs for it or not, it is simply not professional for her work setting.