Moore-Towers // Moscovitch

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ice.dance.girl, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

When they made their senior debut last year at SC, I thought they were youthful and somewhat fun, but their skating was absolutely terrible. And watching them for the first time last year left a bad taste in my mouth. But this year they have surprised me with how much better they look, especially Kirsten.

But their PCS for a clean program are a tad generous to me. (comparing the SP scores from I/M at SC to them last night...) They seem to share many of the problems that Denney/Barrett have-unfinished moves, body placements not exactly uniform…positions could be more locked in, toe pointed, (I must say though, a few of their lifts are actually quite good!) Their sp, though, is able to mask some of these flaws. As strange as it sounds I think they need to work with or at least get some tips from David Pelletier on overall polish.

And yes i think they can win Cdn nats easily. Consistency in sbs jumps is not a strong trait of our lady pairs skaters anyways...:slinkaway so the doors is very open for them.

2. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I prefer perk to too much angst (real or fake).

3. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I liked them last year and thought they'd only get better with time. Finally a girl who can land things and a guy who can lift her without looking like he'll drop her (almost too long in my opinion). Compared to D/D, they just look far more stable...emotionally and physically.

Perk? Yeah, she's perky. But at least I don't feel depressed when I watch her, like I do when I see some others skate lately, like Jessica. I don't think she's been really happy skating for a while. I mean, I like a good depression now and again, but the same goes for perk. Hopefully she'll just tone that down a bit and find a happy medium.

I think they have a good future

4. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

:lol:

It's not Jessica and Bryce's style to skate to anything perky and be all smiley on the ice. Not to mention, I'm sure it had to have been harder to skate joyously and freely with the pressure building to deliver at a home Olympics. This year could have been a lot more relaxing for them.

5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think they probably will win nationals, unless Duhamel and Radford make major improvements between now and then. Lawrence and Swiegers are their only other major competition, and MT&M seem to be doing better than they are right now.

6. ice.dance.girl

ice.dance.girl Member

I love KMT and her natural an honest way of performing, call it perky or whatever, they have lots of fans and it's always great to see them live. There is no doubt that both of them love what they're doing which makes it so much fun to watch.

7. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

M-T/M have definitely established themselves as the 'front-runners' for the national title. Right now, they are competing without too much pressure on them. It will be interesting to see how they compete at Nationals knowing they are the number one team to beat. Some teams can rise to that occasion and some teams crumble under the pressure.

I think M-T/M have improved so much this year. I hope they continue to improve next year as well. They will be fun to watch....and yes, I would put money on them to win Nationals this year. :)

8. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

And please can the girl do anything with her madame's hairdo and trashy pink lipstick? She looks tacky.

9. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I don't see why they won't win Nationals. The international judges seem to really like them, so I feel that might tip the scale in their favor even if they don't skate as well as they did this weekend.

I like them (even thought she's a little too perky), but I can't stand either of their programs and the fact that they completely power through the music. Elements wise I think most of them are strong and their power makes the elements seem really exciting. I appreciate that they do difficult entrances/exits, but in most cases these moves really do not go with the music and seem the be the only really transitions/choreography in the program.

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan, but I'm convinced they can (and will) win Nationals !

11. mishieru07

mishieru07 New Member

I like perk when it's not overdone or so obviously faked/trashy it's downright laughable. It's not exactly someone's fault if they're naturally perky in life is it? It's just in their nature, period.

I like them; they actually look like they're genuinely having fun! Kinda like Akiko Suzuki in that respect; she skates with heart. They could use more polish and better packaging for sure, but I think they've improved quite a bit since SC last year. They have a good chance of winning Nats if they can stay consistent and injury free.

For all the talk about lines, posture and polish, it might be worth noting that all of the above are not graded in PCS at all IIRC, at least not explicitly stated. Why the ISU doesn't include it is a mystery to me but there you go.

12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

When I see them skate, it makes me think of the The Weidermann Twins from The Cutting Edge... :D

13. javachip

javachip New Member

That is too funny...tha's all I can say!

14. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't see anything from M-T/M that makes them stand out from Duhamel/Radford, Brodeur/Matatall, etc....but for whatever reason, the judges are "lifting" them to top spot. I wonder how the judging might have been different with the Canadian teams vis a vis each other had Dube/Davison been able to compete this season..

15. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

This season, it's because they are landing stuff and the others aren't (except L/S). If Duhamel and Radford start landing the jumps they are capable of doing, they would probably pull ahead on M-T/M- they have much more polish.

But the teknik has to be there.

16. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

My first time seeing this team this year was live this past weekend, and I am a fan. She has an absolutely gorgeous smile, and they are so obviously enjoying everything they are doing (well) out on the ice. It was a pleasure to watch them skate all weekend. I think they can win Canadian Nationals.

As genevieve said in another thread...suck it, haterz!!!

17. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I enjoy their elements, though their programs leave something to be desired. They can do the tricks, and their lifts are impressive, but they need some different choreography IMO.

Also IMO, if Meagan/Eric can get their confidence or whatever going before nationals, they could be tough competition. It actually surprised me at SC to see her miss the jumps because she was always so solid with Craig. They do have much more polish, and oddly, unison, than MT/M (though I wish Eric would cut his hair). It will be an interesting Canadians in all events! (Except likely mens, where Patrick will win, Kevin 2nd and someone else, maybe Jeremy Ten, 3rd).

18. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Brodeur & Matatall are just a journeyteam and that is all that they will ever be. M-T/M are far better than them. Duhamel & Radford arent skating well enough technically yet to make a big move.

19. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree with that. I see Dube & Davison being usurped as the top Canadian pair even if they do return. They already peaked back in 2008.

20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I for one was a lot more impressed with Lawrence/Swiegers at Skate Canada. They have better basics and memorable programs. That said, MT/M are skating very well right now and and seem to be building momentum. Dylan's obviously the stronger partner -and no, I don't mean muscle power, but skating skills-wise. Kristin's improved her posture since last year, so there is hope for her. I just couldn't stop think "Gina Gogean with PERK" when they skated their Zorba SP...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3d3QDp-EaY

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  21. Cal Girl

Cal Girl New Member

I normally don't like the perky skaters who put on their perk face for the program but she is so genuine and seems to truly enjoy what she is doing that it is a joy to watch.
    They have a lot of areas to improve on but they are fun and exciting and fast and have a genuine love to skate and entertain. For that they get my applause!

22. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

I have to chuckle at the people who think the team is boring, has no style, etc. Maybe Dylan needs to do some more choreography for the team. I'm not sure who else remembers this, but I recall sitting at Challenge a few years ago through loads of Senior Men's programs that all blended into each other after awhile. Along came Dylan and his sister right before a flood. She stood at the boards pretending to be a diva coach, complete with fur coat, sun glasses, and tons of attitude. Dylan proceeded to bring down the house with a really funny parody on Robin Hood. Even the judges were laughing. Here's a version I found on YouTube. It developed from the debut with more detail and more funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K40HzP3glA

KMT and Dylan are the real deal. The passion and joy for skating is real. She's still young, and that perkiness is all genuine. But I have a ton of respect and admiration for Dylan. He has shown great commitment to his sport even while he was too old to skate Junior, and she was too young to skate Senior, been incredibly responsible in taking care of his sister when she was skating, mentors other skaters, and is generally a ton of fun. I think he is also coaching now. It's so good to see KMT and Dylan achieving success.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  23. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Dylan's also a member of the Icemen, an all-male comedic synchro team which raises money for breast cancer research. Their performances are very funny, and they always seem to be having a blast.

http://www.theicemen.com/Home.html

24. ice.dance.girl

ice.dance.girl Member

couldn't have said it better.... the off ice relation between KMT and Dylan is just great and I love how they get along and care for each other

25. DynamicMutation

DynamicMutation Member

A quick aside, but those qualities are included under the execution portion of performance/execution. Beyond just execution (quality of movement and precision in delivery) it is addressed under the criteria of 'clarity of movement' and 'carriage'.:)

26. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I don't think this team is excessively perky in the long program. I was genuinely shocked at how much I loved it at Skate Canada. Their short leaves a lot to be desired, but commentators keep talking about how it reflects Kristen's personality a great deal. Maybe it's just a (somewhat annoying) step, and we'll see more growth artistically next year. I really didn't think much of them last season, and they've improved so, so much already. Love their packaging this year, too. Mostly Dylan getting rid of the awful surfer/guido/wtf hair.

27. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

:scream:

So is herpes. :p

28. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

have to correct you there.. Shawn Sawyer will be beating Jeremy Ten at Nationals if I have anything to say about it :) He wasn't wonderful on the GP but he got better results than Ten did..

29. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

First and foremost, they landed their elements, and you don't need a whole lot more than that to medal at the GP (or at Nationals.) And unlike some pairs, those elements seem nice and secure. If they keep that up, they'll probably do very, very well for the rest of the season. They also skated with more power than Sui/Han, who had big tricks but who otherwise did not skate with great power or speed.

But I can't even remember M-T/Ms programs from last weekend despite seeing them in both practices and the actual competition -- nothing particularly wrong with them, but nothing particularly memorable either. She's perky, but it seemed more genuine than Sui's continuous "O" expression, which was downright annoying. He's got a very pleasant demeanor.

They've got great basics, and as long as they can keep up some consistency I'm sure they'll do well. Maybe next year they'll get some programs that really set them apart.

I was lucky enough to be at Skate America when Sale/Pelletier showed up for the first time, and that was amazing -- you knew you were seeing something very, very special, and rather completely unexpected. M-T/M are not at this level.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.