Moonlight Sonata in Exhibition: Gordeeva and Grinkov VS Belusova and Protopopov

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bardtoob, Dec 30, 2012.

?

Moonlight Sonata in Exhibition: Gordeeva and Grinkov VS Belusova and Protopopov

1. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH3lSbhvG1M"]Gordeeva & Grinkov - Moonlight Sonata [/URL]

67.5%
  2. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=022hMpMiMxo"]Belousova Protopopov - "Moonlight Sonata" [/URL]

32.5%
  3. I voted for both so they would be tied

27.5%
  4. I would negative rep you, but I'm crying now and can't seem to click the right things.

2.5%
  5. You are basically mean, so now post more videos.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

2. falling_dance

falling_dance Well-Known Member

Neither: :sasha1: in 2009! :mitchell: Second place goes to Kira Ivanova at the 1988 Winter Olympics, for sheer voidiness alone. Oh wait, that wasn't an exhibition...

Off to watch the videos now...

3. bardtoob

4. bardtoob

You are wrong, wrong, wrong . . .

Nobody can redesign a beautiful dress to be ugly, go out on the ice like she doesn't care and has better thoughts than you, and skate the best short program of her career as if it does not matter like Kira Ivanova.

Kira Ivanova (URS) - 1984 Sarajevo, Figure Skating, Ladies' Short Program

;)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  5. falling_dance

You're right.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  6. sadya

sadya Active Member

I can't seem to choose between both pairs. What a judge would I make if they'd have been competing in the same time in the same events!

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

G&G, the best glide ever.
    So fast, light, effortless. Impressive.

8. bardtoob

I think B&P would have probably had more speed if they were not so committed to perfect posture, positions, and unison.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  9. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I liked the B&P competitive program the best, but of the exhibitions I liked G&G the best...

I have not watched figure skating for more than a decade or so, so thanks for posting these! I find that both these pairs have vastly superior death spirals, including the 'fugly one' (inside DS?) than any of the pairs I see today!

10. lulu

lulu New Member

The Protopopovs invented the back-inside, forward-inside and forward-outside death spirals. :) Both G&G and the Protopopovs had beautiful classic death spirals.

11. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

i do have to say that katia has consistently better upper body posture than ludmila. at times, especially in lifts, ludmila's back looked stiff whereas katia has consistently better stretch in her back in lifts

12. bardtoob

I would imagine that somebody so much younger than Ludmila would have better stretch in her back. Katia won her last international medal at 23. Ludmila did not win her first international medal until she was 26, in 1962. In the video from the 1985 World Pro, Ludmila was 49 and Oleg was 52.

ETA: I don't think lifts were even done in competition when Ludmila started training, at 16.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  13. zilam98

zilam98 New Member

oh well, i forgot that g/g have been the youngest pairs champions in FS history.

14. bardtoob

Well, that's a contrast.

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Anyway, Katia Gordeeva has probably the best basics ever (at least, that's my opinion). :)

16. lulu

lulu New Member

Katia has amazing basics. As does Elena Berezhnaya, as female pair skaters go.

Speaking of B&P and G&G though,
    I think Ave Maria is a signature routine for the Protopopovs, but I would have loved to have seen G&G skate to that routine during latter professional years.
    It's hard for me to compare both numbers, especially they were skating in different eras. Both teams had gorgeous qualities to their skating. As far as the competitive version goes, the Protopopovs version just seems a little more 'fresher' if perhaps only because I haven't seen their version of Moonlight Sonata as much as G&G's version.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  17. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I love them both, can't pick or compare the two, but I will say this, Katia & Sergei literally glowed, they made the audience a part of their love story with their smiles, openness, sharing of their daughter Daria, et al, whereas P&P never made me feel that way. They always seemed so stiff, remote, never smiling, like they were on a different plane then everybody else, dare I say a tad hoity-toity. Just my own personal impressions.

I've read what wonderful people P&P are, and I applaud their love of skating, still skating today, unheard of, I respect them for that. And for skating for the Jimmy Fund every year. :)

18. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

LOL I hope and will assume you are joking. Sasha`s Moonlight Sonota was plain dead, even if she had landed all the jumps somehow. There was no Moonlight Sonota in that program, it felt like she was just skating around and through the music, with the exception of the last footwork sequence where she used the music well.

19. falling_dance

Have you seen the exhibition?

ETA: This one is better.

ETA2: My vote went to G/G in this poll and would also go to them in a poll about "Moonlight Sonata" programs generally. That said, I'm sorry if I've created the misimpression of denigrating Cohen (whose Beethoven exhibition I think exquisite), Ivanova, or anyone else mentioned in this thread.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  20. bardtoob

Oh, you would not be the first to say that, and there is no law against you saying that just as there were no laws against them being who they were after they left the USSR :)

21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Remember, the Protopopov's were part of an era where "perfection" was the goal; and there was likely "hell to pay" with TPTB, if it wasn't achieved.
    I doubt that "pleasure"/emotion conveyed in performance was encouraged.
    After all, it was supposedly the Soviet "machine" that made such greatness "possible"; if the propaganda of the era was to be believed.

Lest you think that they were really stiff and emotionless, please listen to the commentary and narration in this clip;

Protopopov & Protopopov - 1984 World Pros, Pairs' Artistic Program
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amlhlyKN9QE

Fortunately, G and G were not constrained from expressing their emotions on the ice, some years later.

22. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I thank you for your viewpoint, skatesindreams, I can tell you are real admirer of this legendary couple, and rightfully so. :)

And, yes, I remember the days of the so-called Soviet machine, especially when it came to Gymnastics. Yet who defied them all this stereotype was the darling of the 1972 Olympics, the smiling charming elfin Olga Korbut, whom we all fell in love with. She belied the stereotype of the time that the Soviets were a machine, showing no emotion, just tough little soldiers. And I would say the same goes for G&G. At the time of the late 80's they were still that mysterious Soviet machine couple living in the USSR, yet they too showed emotion in their performances, which made the public fall in love with them as well. Jmho. :)

Anyhow, as I said previously, I cannot choose, they are both beautiful and unique in their *own* way, no wonder each is a two-time Olympic Gold Medalist. :cool:

23. bardtoob

24. lulu

lulu New Member

:wideeyes:

25. floskate

floskate Vacant

*Sigh* I love them both so will not choose :drama: Regarding the lift positions - you have to remember that overheads didn't really exist as we know them today until the 1950's so technically the lifts were still in their infancy. Ludmilla's lift posture was by far better than anyone else's skating at the time but to our eyes can look dated. And I always thought that she was radiant when she skated - even under the weight of the soviet sports machine. I mean the woman wore tiara's when she skated and no one batted an eyelid! What's not to love? :glamor:

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm with you, floskate!

27. bardtoob

Well, if FSU had been around, I'm certain she would have at least been nominated for Gay Icon of the Year multiple times over :D

. . . Is there a lifetime achievement award :confused:

28. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

She really is the best pairs skater, she floats across the ice, and her ability to be musical to so many ranges of music...perfection.....
    Wile not my favourite program of GG this is up there, and I voted for them based on these programs provided.