Monty Python Live (Mostly)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, Nov 21, 2013.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Monty Python will be getting back together and performing at the 02 arena in London on July 1, 2014. The show will also be released on DVD. They'll be updating their old bits for modern times, and also doing some new stuff.

They announced the show on Thursday, under the banner "Monty Python Live (Mostly): one down, five to go", as Graham Chapman will not be able to attend in person, although he'll likely be there in spirit. There are no plans for a tour just yet. Eric Idle did say that they might be interested in doing another movie together.

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Hmm. I have mixed feelings about this. The thought of seeing them again -- and particularly seeing some new stuff -- is very exciting. But it could also be kind of sad. It's hard to imagine them improving on the original.

But they're all such professionals now (as opposed to when the Flying Circus was on the air!) that I can't imagine them embarrassing themselves.

I remember seeing an extended interview with the 5 of them not long after Chapman died. They brought his urn out and placed it on the coffee table in front of them. A couple of times during the interview Cleese would say "What's that, Graham?" and lift the lid a bit. Hard to do justice in explaining it but it was just the irreverent way you'd expect for them to include their fallen colleague.

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

My husband just asked me if I was getting him tickets for his birthday. The fact that this is in London and we live in NY notwithstanding.

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

i

It's really hard to imagine being more irreverent than Cleese's eulogy at Chapman's memorial service which includes the immortal line "Good riddance to the freeloading bastard, I hope he fries." Which, as he said, was exactly what Chapman would have expected and wanted and he would never have forgiven it if Cleese DIDN'T take the opportunity to be as shocking as possible.