1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Monkey) Girls Will Be (Monkey) Girls

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by missing, Dec 21, 2010.

1. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I probably should be ashamed of myself for finding this article funny, but I do. A friend of mine said if the wrong people hear about it, it'll set the women's movement back 150 years. :lol:

I like this part also:

Personally, I grew up with a big brother and when we were young all our friends were boys, so I was pretty much a tomboy.

But just like a vervet monkey, if I were offered a choice of toys, I would always pick the dolls over the cars!

2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Very cool research, and certainly consistent with everything I've seen with little kids. What a great experiment --- thanks for posting the link!

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Have you read Ape House by Sara Gruen? It features a tribe of Bonobos. It's fiction, but based on research, and the Bonobos do exhibit some sex-differentiated play behaviours. My favourite bit was when they were given a blow-up doll, and the matriarch seemed quite concerned about the doll's nudity, so quickly covered her with a blanket. I guess that's more "nurturing" than "play," but still ...