Monica Friedlander: "International Skating Union Now Officially a Dictatorship"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Maofan7, Jun 30, 2012.

?

Should Cinquanta Stand Down And Make Way For A New President?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2012.
  1. Yes

151 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Don't Know/No Opinion On The Matter/Unsure

20 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

They could appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport which was set up under the auspices of the IOC.

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hmmm very good point.

3. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I tend to think that regardless of which system is used, we will always see skaters who excel in it and others ... not so much. In the 6.0 era, we had many empty-looking programs and a lot of standing around looking constipated. Many disagreed on whether a program was good or not mostly by how it made them feel. There was just a much "soul-less" programs in the 6.0 era as there are now. Artistry is still there for those who wish to see it but then again, that too is in the eyes of the beholder -- see many discussions about Chan and his skating for a recent example.

Regardless of how much some liked 6.0 and wish we would return to such -- not happening. I have seldom seem a sport make this big of a change and then return to doing things "the old way". What we have now isn't perfect, but from this fan's perspective, it is preferable. Today's feedback actually makes sense unlike what Elvis Stojko used to get as feedback which basically was "we want to see more" but they didn't say what more actually meant. The skaters in this system can see what they did and didn't do to achieve their levels, and it gives us tons of information to discuss.

4. Mathman

Mathman New Member

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I know that, and I know that cases from the ISU have indeed gone to the CAS. But that is not the same as the ISU being answerable to the CAS or the IOC for its regular day to day operations. And the CAS is very clear that it is an independent body.

7. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

The ISU is directly responsible to its Member Federations. The IOC, however does have an oversight role in insuring that all IOC Member Federations, including the ISU, adhere to their own approved constitution and byelaws. Little good would come from the IOC micromanaging any member's day to day operations.

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:lol: All the above based on my personal observation.
    Male dominated sports esp. rugby dominate air time in Australia. And more so if we are good at it otherwise, you won't see anything. :D

9. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

10. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I could be dead wrong about this but I don't think that the audience inside the competition venues is necessarily a good sample of FS's audience in general, since teens and young adults probably don't have the money or time(considering school and jobs) to attend competitions. My impression from online sources is that figure skating appeals mostly to young women who then stop watching between (roughly) the ages of 25-35 to pick it up again later in life and that's why you see lot's of middle aged or elder women at competitions, I'd bet they liked skating when they were younger too. Girls will bother to watch for the Yagudins and the Jouberts, they'll even bother to do it regularly for those, but when you remove the heartthrobs they lose interest. I do have the impression however that in recent years the number of teens has dropped even online, at least of english speaking teens. I could go on and on about this, and please share your viewpoints, but what I'd like to emphasize is that the fact that you don't see specific groups flocking towards the sport isn't necessarily a reflection of their appreciation of it, it could be a reflection of several outside pressures that push women away from their interests. I'm sure you know several women who go with their boyfriends/husbands to football games even if they don't really like the sport, but how many men do you know who go to a figure skating event with their girlfriends/wives?
    I've read a research sometime ago that showed that even women who practiced sports in their youth rarely watch them later on, the main reasons cited were time constraints and lack of social significance(can't discuss them with their co-workers, husband, etc...). I'd better shut up now before I write a book or something. :p