Monaco's Royal to Wed

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Jun 23, 2010.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Prince Albert is engaged to a former South African Olympic swimmer. She is 32 and her name is Charlene Wittstock. No wedding date set yet for the longtime companions. According to protocol, they must now wait 6 months before they can wed.
    Congratulations!
    Royal Wedding

2. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Personally, I thought he'd never get married.

3. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

About time, isn't it? Albert is well into his 50s now. Congrats, anyway to the happy couple!

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Maybe he was inspired by seeing Princess Victoria of Sweden's wedding...

5. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I'm surprised. I thought he'd keep living the life of a bachelor and that the throne of Monaco would pass to Princess Caroline.

But looking at the recent Swedish wedding invite list, I think they've been engaged for a while. Because why would Charlene be invited as a girlfriend to Prince Albert while Kate Middleton wasn't, as girlfriend to Prince William? Unless there was a personal friendship on Charlene's part to the Swedish couple, which I guess is possible.

6. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

52. So early 50s!

I'm not surprised. I think, although I could be wrong, that the throne couldn't pass to Caroline. It goes through male hiers so unless he marries and produces a son, Monaco goes back to France.

It's one of those obscure and archaeic rules that no one thinks is still relevant, but no one wants to try out all the same ;)

7. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I was in Monaco back in 1990 right after Caroline's husband died in the boating accident. The tour guide said if Albert does not have an heir, the throne would go to Caroline's son. Correct??

8. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

No the Monaco succession has always been flexible. At the moment it is male preference primogeniture (ie sons before daughters, brothers before sisters, but women can succeed). At the moment, Caroline is Albert's heir, and her son Andrea after her.

There was a succession crises back in 1918 when the Prince of the time was unmarried and had no legitimate children, so they legitimated his out of wedlock daughter Charlotte (whose mother was a laundress!), and put her into the succession, having been formally adopted by her father. This was Ranier's mother, and she ceded her rights to her son, so she never did reign.

But as you see, they will do what they have to do to ensure the succession!

9. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Also I remember there was something about the last name Grimaldi, a few hundred years ago, a female was next in line, but her husband changed his name to Grimaldi to keep the name in tact.

10. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I thought the Monaco going back to France rule was revoked a few years ago by France? Maybe I'm confused.

11. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

No, you're right. In 2002, the Franco-Monegasque Treaty was renewed and made it so that Monaco would not revert back to France should a succession crisis occur. The original treaty was made at the end of WWI, when there weren't any legitimate heirs in Monaco. The nearest person at the time was a German prince, and France did not want that. Hence the first treaty.

Earlier in the 2002, the succession laws were changed so that heirs could only come from the ruling prince (at the time, Rainier III). But females could now be included, though males would inherit first. Should the line be exhausted (currently only 7 people), it would not revert back to France, but there would be a council that would elect a new ruler. The ratifying of the treaty with France later in the year made it official.

Franco-Monegasque Treaty

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

She is sort of Grace Kellyesque.

13. Civic

Civic New Member

Prince Albert has certainly taken his time. He're hoping he has better luck at matrimony than his sisters.

14. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

It's about time!! He and Charlene have been together for quite a few years now.

Many were saying on the weekend during the coverage of Victoria and Daniel's Wedding that Charlene was the best dressed lady there and that she certainly carried herself as a Princess. From all the photos I've seen over the last few days, I can't disagree w/any of that.

Congratulations to HSH on his Engagement and may Albert and Charlene be blessed w/much happiness!! :) :) :)

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm shocked myself.

16. Civic

Civic New Member

She's pretty and regal looking but does she have pedigree? The :EVILLE: part of me wonders if Albert's illegitimate children will be invited to the wedding.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Royals marry commoners all the time. I don't think Charlotte is a royal.

18. Civic

Civic New Member

I wasn't referring to titles but to her knowledge of and comfort around upper class Europeans. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall was a commoner until she married the Prince of Wales. However, she grew up in a wealthy family, attended a Swiss finishing school and was already hanging out with a polo playing, fox hunting crowd when she met Prince Charles in the early 1970s.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I have no idea what her familiarity with court life is. But one can learn.

20. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:eek: Of course she is sporting what is known as "rich nails"--short, oval and neutral polish.

22. Glide2

Glide2 Member

yeah me too. :rolleyes: I'd almost put money on the wedding not happening.

I mean he didn't zactly marry his two known baby mommas.
    And who waits to marry until he's 52?

She looks a little bit like Cheryl Ladd.

23. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Nope, I am. Like I said, I could be wrong. Turns out I'm just 8 years behind on my Monocoan political knowledge :)

Soo...I therefore AM surprised that he's finally getting hitched! She's very pretty though, and they've been together a while.

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Who, ironically, made a godawful TV-movie about Grace Kelly.

25. heckles

heckles Banned Member

That whole family has always seemed Kardashian-grade skeevy, especially Stephanie. Don't really "get" the fascination with them.

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The fascination died with Grace. :( The kids are at varying levels of batshit crazy for me.

27. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Wow is she gorgeous. I wonder if another balding fat middle-aged man could attract someone like her if he wasn't like a prince or something.

28. Megi

Megi Well-Known Member

Mazel Tov! :40beers:

It's really cool that they're both former Olympians! :cheer:

29. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

Of course he could, as long as has money the title is just a bonus. ;)

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Perhaps they were inspired by the lovely wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, which they attended.