Mom Sues Preschool for Not Prepping 4 Yr. Old for Elite University

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Mar 15, 2011.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

imagine how much she will sue for if Lucia becomes a stripper

3. nypanda

nypanda New Member

19K? Dude, that's cheap.

4. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

:rofl:

5. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

That's disgusting! She paid $19000 for a school for her four year old, and they just let them play. Playing is for babies.

Oh! that poor little girl...

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Tiger Mom!!

7. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

The Mother has a right to sue if the School misrepresented its activities for children.

If they were promissed French lessons, the school should provide French lessons.... The school is "a business" and is subject to the same laws on false or deceptive advertising.

8. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I think the parents just kept Lucia out getting into an "elite" university by looking like nut-bags. :p

9. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I agree with Tinami. It's a business and if they didn't provide what they promised she has the right to complain.

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

"French lessons" could mean they teach counting and colors in French... we did that at our cheapo church run daycare. Spanish too :)

11. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

poor baby! :(

EDIT: I've started studying English at 4yrs, but an hour/week! but just singing colours&number in my normal public school :)

12. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I agree. If they said specifically that they would be offering a certain service to 4 year olds, and she got lumped in with 2 year olds . . . there's a huge developmental difference. And it is telling that other nannies/moms were reluctant to speak in order to not hurt their own chances, as they put it. So clearly the school has a bit of a blackmail effect on these parents if they think saying anything negative means their kid won't pass the right test to get into a certain elementary school.

Where I have to :rolleyes: is the fact that this one school, for one month, ruined this kid's chances to get into an Ivy League in 14 y ears. That's ridiculous (plus the $19k price).

13. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Well, I agree that there might be a false advertising claim, but what if the girl is developmentally at a 2 year old stage and the mother is in denial? I have seen that happen before.

14. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Sure, totally possible. Moms always think their kid is a genius. I'm just going on what the article states.

15. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

My daughters pre-k is free. At this stage, I'm not at all concerned about where she will go to college. I'm not too concerned about my 8 year old either. I have so dropped the ball here! :lol:

16. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I didn't get that the woman's daughter was singled out to be put in with two-year-olds. The problem seemed to be that the kids were supposed to have different curriculum based on age, but they were all put into one big room together because of construction, and the mother does not believe that the curriculum is demanding enough because of the lack of age separation.

At no point does anyone say that Lucia wasn't getting her French lessons or anything else that the website promises. Note what the lawyer says:

"They put a bunch of kids of different ages together and gave her some excuse about construction," Paulose said.

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

My goodness! What are you thinking? They will be so far behind, there's no possible way they can get into an Ivy. :rolleyes::yikes::scream:

p.s. This thread is providing some amusing relief from the Japan threads. So much sadness there, so much silliness in NYC.

18. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I agree with the point that the mother did not get what she paid for, but I feel rather sorry for the child. It reminds me of a recent article that I read about the gifted program in my province's school system. They had a call from a mom who insisted that they put her unborn child's name on the enrolment list, because she just, "Knew that her child would be gifted".

19. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Mmm, I don't know about that. Just because the daughter was put in the same room with younger children doesn't mean that she wasn't taught the four-year-old curriculum. And again, no one has said that the child didn't get the things advertised on the school's site.

I'm not a big fan of the Daily News' reporting style; I'm sure that there is more to the story. But just based on what they have reported, I don't see any claim that the child was not given what was promised.

20. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

How can you live with yourself?! :p

21. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:eek:

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yeah, based on the pre-ks that make the news around here, I think I would be more concerned that they weren't leaving my 4 year old to baby sit the 2 year olds than I would be about ivy league prep. Adult teacher in the room, check; no abuse, check; everyone is having fun, check.

23. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Mama knows best. :lol:

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:eek: :scream:

Having said that, I am not surprised. I just watched my SIL who lives in NYC go through the preschool admission process for her kid. It wasn't pretty.

Knowing my SIL, I am guessing she will provide the scoop on this story. :watch:

25. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

26. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I think we have a frontrunner if Bravo ever needs to replace a member of the cast of Real Housewives of NY.

27. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

What gets me about this is that not segregating kids by age often enhances learning.

28. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Has the daughter finished the school year? Did the mum view some "classes" first?

Seems all a bit much for 4 years old. Does the school get the money back again if the girl gets into Yale later on?

29. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Or if she grows up, gets shipped off to college and ends up participating in a situation like this one. A perfect example of (en masse) helicoptor parenting gone wrong - because it's only effective until the kid is out of the parents' sight. Then the kid has all this freedom, yet doesn't know how to handle it.

30. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I can't help but wonder what the child's father has to say about this lawsuit. He's noticably absent from the article. Where's the baby daddy????

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.