Modern Family Season 3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Sep 22, 2011.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:rofl: At the scene between Claire and Dillon. I read that Mitch and Cam's adoption of another baby is going to be a recurring storyline this season.

Alex has really, um, matured. And they've aged Lily up.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

OMG! The dude ranch episode is possibly my favorite ever. Well except Alex's storyline.

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm so loving this show now. Caught it during summer reruns two years ago and have been a fan ever since.

4. rfisher

the look on Sofia's face when she said "You'd be surprised what you can live with."

My family may or may not play the I was right game just like this. :shuffle:

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

is this the shortest adoption of what i assume will be an infant on record?

6. rfisher

No. They won't get the kid till the end of the season. They have much angst to suffer yet.

7. Skittl1321

What does everyone think of new Lily? I thought she was pretty good. I'm okay with it.

8. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Gah, was watching X Factor...dvr'ing Top Model, and forgot about Modern Family!!! :(

9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

My favorite part of the episode :rofl:

I may or may not suffer from Claire's problem. :shuffle:

I liked the new Lily. And I feel her pain, my mother said I threw toys in my brother's crib and bit him and told my mom she couldn't hold him. :drama:

10. rfisher

She's not a bad actress for a 3 yo. Luke and Manny are my favorite of the kids hands down.

11. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I love Luke. They interviewed Nolan Gould for the Popsugar red carpet and he was a total natural. Absolutely adorable, hilarious and charming.

Haley's my favorite of the "kids". I think Sarah Hyland has really improved over the past year and has great comedic timing :lol:

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am not liking the new Lilly. She seems older than they have her acting to be, if that makes sense.

13. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i loved baby lilly, she had the same blank stare as an easter peep

14. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

The Modern Family premiere was good, but I do have one small whine. I wish I had DVRed it, rather than watched it in real time. The number of commercials was UNBELIEVABLE! The show seemed so chopped up because of it. Next week, I'm recording it. :)

15. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I like the new Lily, but I do think the "age up" was a little too obvious.

My parents, who have just a cursory knowledge/liking of the show and characters, immediately recognized that "Lily" had made a drastic changed.

Not sure why they aged her up 2 years. Couldn't they find a real 3 year old with the same acting skills?

Having said that, I think it was a wise (and inevitable) decision to recast. As much as I loved Lily's deadpan expressions, eventually they needed a child actor who could emote something different just for the sake of the storylines.

We saw new!Lily give more personality in those two episodes than the original gave in two full seasons.

16. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

My favorite was watching Sofia break into the locker and return the locket so that Manny wouldn't get in trouble. Or when she told the principal that talking about neckties didn't mean anything. :lol:

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Obviously no one here watches the soaps - there's a term for Lily, and it's SORAS - Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome. :lol:

Happens all the time on the soaps - a child gets sent off to boarding school or to live with their mother in Paris, and a year later they come back as teens or adults. Long time fans like to amuse themselves with calculating the actual age of characters and "proving" that one character cannot be another's child etc. :rollin:

Husband: who's the kid?
    Me: that's Lily.
    Husband: oh, they SORASed her.

18. Skittl1321

Was she aged up that much? She said she was 3 (though she was wrongly showing 4 fingers). Last season she would have been at least 1 1/2 but I thought she was 2. It isn't that big of a leap. Alex and Luke sure look like they grew up a lot too!

The actress is 4, so also not too different from the character.
    (The previous actresses are now 3, so she is only a little older than they are.)

19. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Why don't any of the female characters on this show have jobs?

20. Skittl1321

Claire is a stay at home Mom. Gloria is a trophy wife/stay at home Mom. The others are children (Haley has been shown working, briefly, but I don't think the job lasted.)

I think those are pretty realistic roles for women, though I don't know too many actual trophy wives, stay at home Moms are still important. There are just a lot more men then there are women on the show. Cam is a stay at home Dad.

I think a better question would be, why do none of the families have 2 parents working?
    The answer can pretty easily be given by "these families are upper middle class" (Jay/Gloria are probably considered "rich") having a stay at home parent is common.

21. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Oh my, :shuffle: reading the glowing posts here, maybe I was unaware that I was in a bad mood last night. While there were a few random laughs to be had here and there, I thought both episodes were very weak ... a rickety start to S3.

Are the writers out of material already? Every character seems to have ONE thing they're trying to work through ... Claire is a bossy know-it-all, Phyllis wants Jay's acceptance, Redhead worries he's not "real man" enough, Cam coddles his daughter and likes glittery things, Haley and Alex are opposites, Gloria is Latina. By gosh it's a formula that works, so why branch out?

Like most sitcom "field trip" episodes, the dude ranch episode suffered from timing and pacing issues, and every scene/story was of the been-done-a-thousand-times type. I did like all the scenes with Dillon, though. :lol: Hope to see this character back soon ... newly toughened up from a few weeks as "ranch hand". The 2nd episode was worse ... really nothing funny in it, except for Jay fretting over Manny perhaps wearing the stolen locket. And I hate shows that rely on toddlers reading their lines like little robots ... leave the Full House retreading to Full House reruns.

YMMV, and obviously did. :p

22. rfisher

You were just grumpy. The absolute need to be *right* was spot on. With some of us anyway. :shuffle:

I don't have any issues with Lily's age as she won't be in the majority of episodes. This was setting up the adoption issues which are going to be a significant storyline this season. Not the kid per se, but the gay adoption of a US kid, Mitch's work habits and Cam's need to impress the potential mother.

23. jamesy

jamesy of the United States of America

She won me over with "kill new baby". :shuffle:

24. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I want it printed on t-shirts.

"MY DADDY!!!" *smack* :rofl:

25. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I thought the Dude Ranch episode was funny, the 2nd one was OK but I didn't find myself LOLing nearly as much. I thought the creepy cowboy host was the funniest part, too bad he is just a one time guest. I have seen him before in other things but can't remember specifically where.

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:rofl: I'll be your first customer.

27. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I thought he looked familiar, too, so I had to look him up in the credits. His name is Tim Blake Nelson and here are his credits from IMDB. Leaves of Grass is the movie that must have left a memory of his face in my mind (I saw it in April at Ebertfest).

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The line I'm remembering this morning was Gloria herding cattle - "Jay is this like the lobsters? Do I get to pick one? This one looks tender." :lol:

And Cameron on both episodes - kills me. And all the kids.

29. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

"I want to teach my son all the things dad taught Claire." :rofl:

A friend of mine does not watch this show. I'm going to sit her down and FORCE her to watch this episode--she is so Claire in the pathological need to be right, and her oldest daughter is Lily. She tries to strangle her baby brother on a regular basis. A grocery store cashier told the baby brother, aren't you a cute baby. Friend's version of Lily threw her toy at her and screamed "I'M THE BABY." Lucy was 17 months, and her brother was three months. She could barely say momma and daddy, and she just busted out with that out of nowhere.

30. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I also loved that line about teaching Claire. There were a few more laugh out loud lines, but not as many as I would have liked. Hoping Lily will settle in and not just say lines. Was really glad when Gloria stopped yelling. Still love this family, not sure if I want Dillion back or not.