Modern Family Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Satellitegirl, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

It starts tonight at 9pm EST :) I love this show....I've not laughed out loud so much at a show in a good while.

2. SharonDudd

SharonDudd New Member

I love it too!!

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Wheee! I'm excited!

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Me too. It's my favorite show on TV. The clip of Cam in the biker shorts has me laughing while I type this.

5. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

What network please?

6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

It's on ABC

7. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Oooh I would've forgotten. Totally agree about this being a laugh out loud at the TV kinda show. My neighbors probably think I'm a freak.

8. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Great episode. I was dying laughing when they were in the car.

9. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

I :lol: when Mitchell was stuck in the princess castle with the bird.

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Good episode. I liked when the bird flew in the castle, nice throwback to last season with the bird in the house. LOL!

How about when Cam said he met Mitchell at an orgy! LMAO!

11. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah Mitchell in the Castle was great lol...I had forgotten about the bird in the house episode. Hilarious. Cracked up when Mitchel was inadvertently taking out the rose bushes with the hand saw too lol!

12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Very good episode. But does salt really make chocolate milk better?

13. rfisher

There was a short article about the show on the TV guide site. Almost all the stories are based on one or other of the writers RL events. I think this is why they're so funny rather than contrived. That and the actors are really good. So good, they don't seem to be acting.

I was PML when Cam was fixing lunch talking about how he and Jay, unlike Mitch, were manly men who built things and talked football. Then he got his champaign mustard and added the garnish to the plates.

14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

"That was my Vietnam....and I was in Vietnam!"

I love this show! The bird in the castle was a nice touch.

15. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Oh my, I guess the cheese stands alone. I thought that last night's episode was awful. The Manny/Gloria storyline was fresh and cute, but the rest was contrived and paint-by-numbers ... as if it took the best of last season's eppys, made a template, and filled in the blanks.

Especially hated the princess castle scenes, which has been done in some manner on every sitcom in the history of sitcoms. A smart, urbane lawyer waving around a jigsaw and a nail gun while completely oblivious to the danger and the damage he's doing to walls shrubbery and possibly his daughter? :rolleyes: Leave this kinds of broad physical comedy to the maestros of the art -- 30 Rock. And isn't it about two years too soon to build this girl a 100 square foot home away from home? Finally, I'm almost certain that I've heard the Vietnam line in another sitcom, and want to search for it later.

Maybe I'm feeling grumpy, but I'm also tired of the "couch confessions," which -- if you pause to think about it -- is ridiculous. It's a lazy way of writing. The writers don't have to write sharply enough within the storyline too build the episode because they can just have the characters sit there and tell us what is happening. The approach worked during the first season of The Office, really the forerunner for this format, but it got tiresome later on and isn't going to be sustainable with Modern Family either.

All that said, I still love the timing and comic delivery of all of the cast, save the middle kid (no kid is that wise with the comebacks). Eric Stonestreet, Sophia V, and Ty Burrell especially never disappoint.

16. Orable

Orable New Member

Beefcake, I wasn't too thrilled with last night's ep, either. For all the reasons you enumerated, adding that I didnt' like the slapstick humor with the car, either. Usually Ty Burrell does physical comedy really well, but that whole scenario just didn't do it for me.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I agree the slapstic with the car was pretty silly ... but the follow-up, with them walking home, the kids sharing a moment, "What's the plan, Phil" ... all that was great.

But what made the episode for me was Jay and Cameron were making sandwiches, and Cameron made his mustad comment, and Jay gave a very quick eye-rolling glance to the camera ... it only lasted a second but was pure comic gold.

18. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Call me easily entertained I guess....there's nothing funnier on TV to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uk-ePdp73I

The car scene cracked me up. I just think the casting is great for this show, and it's well written.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

This is my favorite show. Absolutely cracks me up.

20. zhenya271

zhenya271 Active Member

Cam's my favorite. His expressions always have me laughing out loud! I noticed that there seemed to be more displays of affection between Cam and Mitchell this time. There was even a kiss on the head, I don't recall anything like that last season.

21. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

My favorite Cam line is "it's go time" when they thought they heard someone in Lilly's room. He took off with a bat to go confront the "intruder"...which there wasn't one. It was the neighbor's phone interfering or something along those lines.

22. rfisher

There's going to be a full mouth kiss between Cam and Mitchell some time this season.

23. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I'll say up front that I'm a big fan of the show, but I agree with you about Wednesday's episode--especially the Cam/Mitchell/Jay storyline.

I'm beginning to notice a very distinct formula to the way the storylines are structured:

1. Spouse A has a mass delusion regarding some aspect of their capabilites or a given situation
    2. Spouse B plays along and feeds this delusion out of sympathy, but deep down acknowledges said delusion.
    3. Spouse A then proceeds to make a fool of him/herself in an effort to prove they don't have such a delusion, with hilarity ensuing
    4. Spouse B finally confronts Spouse A, who then reluctantly acknowledges their own limitations.

Then cue happy ending monologue.

It's a common formula, and was probably used a billion times last season, but overall, the situations and writing felt fresh and interesting enough to cover the seams--but in this episode I could practically see the storyboarding of it, piece by predictable piece.

I just sincerely hope Modern Family hasn't already exhausted this formula to the point that it plays so obviously to the audience, as it did for me. Because I really like this show, and would hate to see it lose its spark too quickly. It's only the 2nd season after all.

Things should not feel this formulaic yet.

24. rfisher

Some of you take it way too seriously. It made me laugh out loud and that was enough in my book. The actors are great. Of course, the stories are going to be recycled. That's true for all TV shows and movies. I don't really care. If it's funny; it's funny. I don't care that every scene is fresh or different or if every scene makes me laugh. If one does, I'm happy. :D

25. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Agreed rfisher...I'm laughing way more than I have at any other show, so recycled plots/stories or not, it's great. At least it isn't some yuppie young group of friends show again. After "Friends" success years ago, there have been so many copy cats of people trying to throw together single friends in a city, it's ridiculous.

26. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I never watched this last year, but I did watch this week.

Do the three families ever interact, or are there always three separate storylines?

27. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah they interact on some episodes, for family functions.

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

There's usually a story and a substory, but the characters often interact as part of a storyline.

29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I agree, they have a distinct formula but the fact is that this show makes me laugh out loud. Not many shows do that, which is why I tend to stick to the dramas more often (Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc). This one makes me laugh and the only other show I can say that about is Big Bang Theory. So I don't mind the formula being repetitive, yet...

30. rfisher

Last year's pair skating episode makes me laugh just thinking about it. That and when they locked the baby in the car. :rofl: And when Jay accidently killed Manny's turtle.