Mo Hassan case, beheads wife.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Badams, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but this case has been in the news a ton here and it's surprising to me that it's not all over the news elsewhere, mainly because Hassan is so...odd. It's a sick, twisted and weird case. I'm not sure anybody else will think it's all that interesting, but I thought I would give it a shot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/17/muzzammil-hassan-muslim-t_n_167772.html

http://www.examiner.com/spiritualit...heading-trial-gets-off-to-rocky-start-buffalo

http://www.buffalonews.com/topics/mo-hassan/article321914.ece

It's such a made for TV type case.

2. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

That is tragic and twisted. I don't know the details of how he killed her, but he's going to have a hard time convincing anyone that he had to decapitate someone to defend himself, and against woman no less. And representing himself? This will be quite the train wreck. I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it nationally. It's definitely the type of case that Lifetime movies and Dateline specials are made of. I wonder if it will be televised at all, because I really am curious to see this psycho try to defend himself.

3. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

They only allowed cameras in for the opening arguments and will again for closing. He killed her while his kids waited in the car, claims it was self defense, claims HE was abused, turned himself in, claims he was abused while in jail...the list goes on and on with him. It absolutely reads like a Lifetime movie or Dateline story.

4. Orable

Orable New Member

This murder made tidal waves in the American Muslim community in 2009. As evidence mounted, it became clear that he was a deranged, violent domestic abuser - Aasiya was not his first wife; the first two both filed for divorce for identical reasons: domestic abuse and violence.

The one positive effect was that it brought domestic violence out in the open, so to speak, in the Muslim community. In February 2009, a unified & nationwide effort entitled "Imams Speak Out" launched: imams throughout the nation dedicated a sermon to DV, February is now considered DV Awareness month in mosques, imams & community leaders have started getting licensed on a large scale to counsel & assist DV victims and created processes to work more closely with local law enforcement officials. Here's an example of the response, by a theologically conservative imam in Chicago, who's a nationally known leader of the Muslim community.

This is a great piece written by his ex-wife's cousin Zerqa Abid, a nationally-known Muslim writer, about Mo Hassan, Muslim leadership and their obsession of image over substance, especially when it comes to sweeping things under the rug.

According to Abid, Mo Hassan was mentally not all there, which probably explains his self-representation. Frankly, I don't know how I want to see this play out: life in prison w/no parole or the death penalty. I'm normally against the DP, but in some cases, I can sometimes see it's appeal (I know, I know :scream: )

5. Squibble

Squibble New Member

What purpose would executing him serve, particularly if he is, in fact, mentally ill? And where would you draw the line?

6. Orable

Orable New Member

That's why I wrote "I know, I know!"

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Tragic. Shouldn't this be in PI?

8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Unless the discussion gets a lot more heated and divisive I don't think so. Just because it involves religion or politics doesn't send it to the PI closet, IMO.

9. milanessa

This.

10. Katoomba

Katoomba Member

Fortunately, there's no death penalty in New York. Such a tragic case.

11. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Yuck, I was called for jury duty the day that selection started for this trial. I wasn't called for it (and was dismissed) but my friend was. It took them a week to get 14 jurors ... I'm shocked they got any at all. It's gotten a lot of coverage in WNY and the general consensus seems to be guilty, guilty, guilty.

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Why is a man, who is supposedly mentally ill, being allowed to represent himself? This has retrial written all over it and could be a huge waste of taxpayers money.

13. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

And he has already gone through a bunch of lawyers in the past 2 years.

His tactics appear to consist of trying to portray his actions as being misunderstood. His kids already testified against him, and his lawyer tried to paint it as just kids who have a difficult relationship with their father. :rolleyes:

14. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I believe he was evaluated and deemed mentally stable. There are a lot of people who think his actions are him aiming for a mistrial.

15. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

According to the article, she stopped wearing her hijab. Qur'an 8:12 instructs Muslims to decapitate infidels.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  16. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

They showed video of the murder in the courtroom today, according to twitter. He laid in wait for her before he attacked her.

http://twitter.com/#!/buffalopundit

This man is sitting in the courtroom.

17. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Most Muslim women in the world don't wear hijbabs, right? How in the world does that make them infidels? (For that matter, I'm unclear about what does make someone an "infidel" -- it isn't just being an unbeliever, right?)

18. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? :huh:

Not wearing hijab does not make a Muslim woman a non-Muslim (as plenty of non-hijabed Muslim women will tell you). You can go to most Muslim countries (Iran and Saudi Arabia being exceptions since hijab is actually mandated by the law and enforced) and see Muslim women not wearing hijab. Hassan killed his wife because he is deeply disturbed and misogynistic, not out of some duty to kill "infidels". Now I'm going to stop before this thread does get political.

19. modern_muslimah

It depends. Being non-Muslim does not automatically make someone a kafir (infidel is really terrible translation of kafir, btw). Muslims don't use the word infidel and it never appears in the Qur'an, even in translations.

For takfir (labeling a Muslim a kafir) to occur, a Muslim would have to do something that goes against the core tenents of faith. For instance, if a Muslim said "I don't believe in God", they would effectively no longer be Muslim since belief in God is an article of faith.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  20. LuckyCharm

I think heckles was just using that to explain the symbolism that decapitation might have had for him, not as the reason that he killed her but as to why he chose to sever her head after he stabbed her 40 times. I think all of us agree that he's deeply disturbed, and very likely misogynistic as well.

My question is still how the hell does he think he's going to reconcile stabbing her 40 times and then cutting off her head with his pathetic claim of self defense? I know everyone has a right to present whatever defense they choose, but it's a shame that the court has to entertain such a ridiculous claim.

Have (or will) his former wives testify to his abuse against them. Since he's claiming to be a victim, it might be relevant that he has a history of being the abuser.

Because mentally ill does not equal incompetent. He has a right to do it even if everyone knows it's probably just a very expensive waste of time.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  21. modern_muslimah

I admit that I haven't kept up with the case since it occurred two years ago but did Hassan actually state that as his motivation for beheading her? I don't remember him doing so and that why I questioned the reference to the Qur'an verse in the first place.

22. heckles

I'm so glad that "only" unbelievers are to be decapitated.

Whoops, that relief was short-lived. There are those pesky verses specific to death of Christians and Jews, who according to the Muslims have "diseased hearts" (9:125). Jews are "mutated rats" and "apes" (7:166). I guess that explains why George Burns always looked sort of like a chimp. Both Christians and Jews are to "die in a fire" (3:24, 3:162, 5:37).

23. LuckyCharm

From what I've read I don't believe he did. I think it's an assumption some have made because it's seems like such an unusual thing to do. I think folks are just trying to wrap their minds around what would motivate a person to do something so crazy.

24. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

off to politically incorrect we go...

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Told ya.

26. milanessa

I still don't see why but if it happens so be it.

27. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Thanks, Modern_Muslimah.

28. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

About the only generalization I'm drawing from this case is that perpetrators of domestic violence are exceptionally dangerous, and all to likely to be serial perpetrators. He may be mentally ill, but the degree of planning and premeditation, as well as his prior history of domestic violence causes me to think of this much more as a criminal offense than as a direct manifestation of mental illness or of his religion. (Very different from honor killings, for example.)

And on the politically incorrect front: I've yet to hear calls for the restriction of knife sales.

29. heckles

Why would religion and criminal conduct be mutually exclusive? Muslim honor killings are often highly premeditated as well. The victim often has to be lured back to the family home under the pretense that she's been forgiven, and each family member present may have a planned role in her death: who holds her down, who strangles her, who cuts her head off, who disposes of the body. There's little spontaneous about many of these murders.

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I don't think I wrote that very well. What I was trying to say was that it seems to me more of a criminal offense inspired by domestic violence, and not inspired by his religion, than a criminal offense (like honor killings) that are religiously inspired, or of a criminal offense (like John Hinckely's) which appeared to be driven by mental illness. I'm not suggesting that whether or not it is a religiously-inspired killing makes it more or less culpable -- just that I don't (personally) see it as a manifestation of some warped view of Muslim faith. (Whereas suicide bombers I do see that way.)

Badams and (deleted member) like this.