Miss America

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by DarrellH, Jan 13, 2012.

1. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Anyone going to watch? Got your picks?

Read that Kris Jenner is one of the judges. Why do they need to do stunt casting for judges?
  2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

^^ Yeah, she is. I watched Good Morning America yesterday and she and Lara Spencer are both judging. I would like to know what qualifications judges need.
  3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I doubt there are any except a possibly recognizable name. I won't be watching.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

The current Miss A is a friend's niece. And though they believed in her chances even they were shocked because she is quite young.
  5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Wasn't even aware it was going on until I saw the blurb about Hawaii winning talent jumping rope.
  6. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I like how they've added U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as contestants in the last few years.

I love the part about the jump-rope talent. Miss the days of the good old baton twirlers.

A girl from my home town won back in the 80's.
  7. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I'm opting out this year to watch the playoff game.....Go Pats!!!!
  8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Because the broadcast of the show is back on a big network, and they want to get ratings and do cross-promotion. Which is probably why someone from Good Morning America (also on ABC) is one of the judges.

But hasn't this always been a problem with Miss America? That the state winners are chosen by experienced pageant judges, and then the "stunt casting" judges come in at Miss America and make a choice that makes everyone else go :confused: :eek:?
  9. Civic

Civic New Member

I can do you one better. A former Miss America lived in my dorm when I was in grad school. Of course, this was before she became Miss America.
  10. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I always kind of figured that the stunt judges were told who to watch for and basically instructed on how to vote. I can't imagine them leaving it up to those judges 100%
  12. cruisin

So, just like skating :D
  13. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

LOL! ...and some of the gowns could be shortened into great skating outfits.

I always pull for Miss Mississippi, since I grew up there.
  14. cruisin

Rooted for Miss Mass last year :), this year, I go back to not caring.
  15. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

I can do ya one just as good. Miss Colorado 1975 was my sister's good friend. I just Googled her name and came up with this: http://www.pennycurrier.com/ Can you guess what her talent was? LOL. You'll see in the "about Penny" page on her site, it says she was a "former Miss Colorado." A quick Google search further, and I find on Wikipedia what year she was Miss Colorado.

I remember sitting in English class in HS, and someone mentioned her a big writeup in the paper about her. I mentioned that she was a good friend of my older sister's and nobody would beleive me, like I was trying to impress them with name dropping or something. LOL.
  16. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I plan to watch. The prelim winners were TX, UT, and NY for Swimsuit and WI, HI, and OK for Talent. OK has had good vibes this whole week, and non prelim winners that I'd expect to make top 10 are SC, VA, MO, and CA.

As for the stunt judging, I believe most are associated with ABC. Kris Jenner made me roll my eyes, but whatever. I just hope this year they pick a mature and beautiful contestant. MissAm has been dogged for years by picking only moderately attractive interview queens.

Whatever the case, I'll be glad when Teresa Scanlan the current MA gives it up. She's been an embarassment.
  17. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I have heard anything about her since she was crowned last year. What'd she do wrong?
  18. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Uggh. She bores me so much. But basically she's a know-it-all ultra-conservative. A 17 y/o homeschooled girl who has a chip on her shoulder. She even criticized Obama and stated that he doesn't know the Consitution, which received some press since Obama is a Harvard Law Review educated, CON LAW professor. She learned more about ConLaw I suppose in her home schooling than he did at Harvard Law. Tomorrow won't come soon enough.

Also, her platform was loving yourself for who you are or something, and she has been wearing a wig the entire time, even when she was crowned. She's a bit 'off'. But FoxNews luvs her.
  19. overedge

Well, yeah, she wears a wig because she has damaged hair. And since a lot of contestants have hair extensions and other add-ons, why is her wearing a wig a problem?
  20. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Well Faux News has Gretchen (can't remember her last name.) Teresa may not be far behind. For once I would love to see an outspoken political liberal take the crown. I don't remember it ever happening. I hope I'm wrong about that.
  21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Gretchen Carlson - Miss America 1989.
    I refuse to watch FOX News; but I know that!
  22. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Just guessing: Vanessa Williams?
  23. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Well, don't you find it slightly odd that the contestant whose platform was loving yourself as you are totallly trashed her hair with chlorox and perms to the point that her hair fell out so that she'd have to wear a WIG for 15 months?!?! You probably do not recall I'm sure that Miss DE last year suffered from alopecia, translation she had NO hair. She opted to wear a wig which raised some eyebrows too, but heck, she HAD NO HAIR. Teresa on her own accord destroyed her hair (note to homeschoolers across America, you might know ConLaw better than Obama, but homeschooling doesn't teach you the ins and outs of home-bleaching and perming...). She is a disgrace, and if MA wasn't so irrelevant she might have gotten more press. Just a few more hours and Teresa will just be a bad memory.
  24. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

25. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Louise---she might be a different person in a few years (I hope.) I just remember how narrow minded I was coming out of high school and how much that changed with exposure to different groups of people. There are good points to being so protected as a child but are most certainly negative points too. I wonder if Teresa at 23 or 24 as Miss America would have been different than Teresa at 17 winning the crown. We'll never know.
  26. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Considering all the women out there who bleach their hair blonde or get those trashy-looking skunk-stripe highlights, I'd say hair is definitely part of "body image" for most women. Too bad a lot of them end up getting it wrong.
  27. PDilemma

But it isn't typically an issue associated with eating disorders which was her platform.
  28. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

29. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Eating disorders can cause hair loss too.
  30. PDilemma

Wow...you all really missed my point. Which was, essentially, that her platform was not what Louise claimed it was. :wall:
  31. overedge

Actually, yes, I do remember this. But it's irrelevant as to why the current Miss America wears a wig.

And as PDilemma is trying to point out, her platform was "eating disorders: a generation at risk", not "loving yourself as you are".
  32. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Chill. Her "Platform" was "Eating Disorders and Body Image" where she constantly spoke about learning to love yourself as you are.

I was not incorrect. Stop being so obtuse.
  33. overedge

Do you see the words "body image" in the title of her platform on the Miss America website? They aren't there. So stop trying to twist reality to suit your argument.
  34. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Um, the dance routine on top of the Hoover Damn was both :scream: and :rofl:!

And what's up with doing the introductions out of alphabetical order?!?
  35. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Yeah, that out of order thing totally threw me off too. :eek:

I can't stand either host of this pageant so I have no idea how long I'll last watching this tonight. :scream:
  36. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm not watching, is Chris Harrison one of the hosts?
  37. HeatherC

Yes, he's one of the hosts.
  38. HeatherC

This show not only has annoying hosts, they're playing or singing every single annoying song on the radio right now. :yikes: :scream:

Mad props to the semi-finalist who lost over 100 lbs! :respec:
  39. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm rooting for her big time! What a train wreck, but I can't look away. I love that the South dominated the semi finals ;)
  40. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Who's in?