Miss America 2013

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by HeatherC, Jan 13, 2013.

1. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I know I'm not the only one watching this tonight so I figured I'd start a thread here. I've been watching a few of the behind the scenes things this week and it seems like this is a really great group of women competing tonight. I enjoy Miss America much more than the others because of the talent competition and the fact that swimsuit doesn't count as much overall. Hoping Miss Ohio does well because she's actually from my alma mater university! Woo Ohio!!! :cheer:

SO happy for Miss Montana to make the cut as the audience choice! :cheer:
  2. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I won't see all of it but did see the ladies introducing themselves while the other ladies who already spoke were dancing next to and then backward from them. Ummm. Not sure what to say about that. The next group was not so bad I guess as they had the Cirque theme going on.
  3. HeatherC

Bummed Miss Ohio didn't make the top fifteen. :(

Whoa, the judges get to add one more girl to the top fifteen! That's kind of cool. Wonder who they'll add! :eek:
  4. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I was ecstatic to see Miss Montana make it in but sad that she did so well to get as far as she has!

There are some really gorgeous gowns! Unlike the disasters in Miss Universe, these are so classy and elegant! I'm also happy at all the Marriage Equality states making it!

Washington is gorgeous!

PML at Miss Iowa being named Mariah Cary...
  5. HeatherC

The gowns were absolutely gorgeous tonight but why did they intro the next girl before the other one was done walking for the judges??! That was odd. :confused:

BTW-The green dress was my favorite of the top twelve. :)
  6. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

WTF?!? They all get ready to perform but don't know the order and 2 don't get to perform? That seems odd.
  7. HeatherC

They've done it that way for at least a few years now. I think it's more to see how the girls react to the unexpected and how they hold onto their composure. Makes for an exciting talent competition that's for sure! :lol: :cheer:
  8. BelleBway

It's just really sad for the 2 who get all dressed up and have no place to go. :lol:
    Donuts! :cheer:
  9. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I really don't like this newer way they have of doing the talent portion. To me it is almost making a mockery of it. I think one year they even had the parents on stage waiting to see which ladies did not get called. Also, it is like the contestants do not get their own performance moment on the stage....no parents this time, but the other ladies are there and in view on both sides. I think lady in the white dance outfit had to be careful not to dance into the piano.
    Oh, and the donuts thing this year. Please.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  10. HeatherC

Donuts!!! That was awesome! :cheer:

Tap dancing!! She's my new favorite! I love when they do different things and aren't all trying to be Whitney or Adele, LOL :lol: :cheer2:
  11. BelleBway

She seemed to have a lot of personality.
  12. HeatherC

I agree. I like the girls who actually have one and aren't afraid to show it in these things! :cheer:

Weird to see someone sing that song in a full length sparkly ball gown instead of rags, LOL :lol:

More tap dancing!! :cheer2:
  13. HeatherC

Hmm, she was great but I liked Miss Oklahoma's tap dancing better.
  14. BelleBway

LOL, I tweeted much the same thing. She was probably my least favorite so far- aside from being in a gown, I've heard eleventy billion versions of "I Dreamed a Dream" (and the judges have probably heard a few) and she did nothing to positively distinguish herself. Bad choice all around IMO

:cheer:
  15. HeatherC

Three tap dancers tonight! Iowa had some personality too. I still liked Oklahoma best of the dancers though. :cheer2:

Awww, Washington is certainly making the most of her second chance tonight! Not the best song choice though. Eek. :eek:
  16. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

That last one, was it Washington, was waaaaaaaaay offkey throughout.
  17. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

18. HeatherC

Agree. :yikes:

Yay for Oklahoma! :cheer:
  19. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I really hope it's NY or Iowa!
  20. HeatherC

I think New York wins this thing...
  21. HeatherC

And I'm right! She was winning the competition all night so this isn't a surprise at all. She'll do a great job! :cheer:
  22. HeatherC

LMAO! She doesn't have on waterproof mascara!! Whoops, LOL :rofl:
  23. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

She comes from a marriage-equality state and had a great answer! Very deserving winner :)
  24. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

We turned it on when the talent was about to start. Some of the talent was weird. Piano playing a Jackson 5 song...WTF? And the one singing the Rascal Flatts song was awful and the song was awful. My favorite talent was the one dancing to James Brown. I told my husband she didn't look funky enough for James Brown but her attitude & the choreography fit. Was that Miss New York? I thought the right one won. Other than her really thin lips she was so pretty & I liked her answer.
  25. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Once the top 5 were determined, I picked all of them right, from 1 to 5. I was happy that Miss NY won. She gave a great answer. I thought the top 3 answers were very good.Miss Iowa blew it when she included 'recreational' in her answer. Miss Wyoming looked down a lot while answering. I liked the Miss America contest much better than the Miss Universe one (I know it's not an apple to apple comparison) which seemed to be influenced by Mr. Trump. In this contest the right one won. Let us see what happens at Miss World. I also like it that the Miss America have to display a talent and get graded on it.
  26. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That was the worst talent competition EVER. Hints for next year's contestants:
    - if you can't sing, don't choose a song by an awesomely good singer, because everyone will be thinking of the original version and cringing at yours.
    - If you can't follow a beat, don't tap dance.
    - If you can tap dance, you don't have to jam 10,000 steps into every note of your music.
    - If you play the piano, don't use a backing track, and don't choose a pop song that makes you sound like your next career move is a gig in a lounge at an interstate Holiday Inn.
    - And playing your own composition on the piano is a really good idea, because no one will be able to tell if you make a mistake.

(I liked the baton twirler best, she ruled.)
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

You need to watch some talent competitions from the early 80's Miss America pageants, if u think that was the worst.
  28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I've watched Miss America from long before the early 80s, so I think I have a good basis of comparison for how dire the talent was.

Honestly, for some of those contestants, if that was the best of what they could do on a stage, I shudder to think what else they tried and gave up on. They should just forget the talent stuff and go into Miss USA instead.
  29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I didn't watch but have to admit, don't really like the look of the winner. She doesn't look fresh like Olivia Culpo.
  30. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Wow, that was very surprising. Mallory already caused a storm earlier in the week when she was found to be twittering the judges. Some were even calling for her disqualification. Frankly I don't get her win. She's not that pretty, her SS was not great, her talent was not great. Also MAO stated that their new focus is on STEM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Math I think) and everyone thought that MAO would hand pick a brain to live up to their new goal. Instead we get a fashion student? Not that that's so bad, but how in the world can MA go around promoting STEM when she's probably never taken anything past algebra?

I think MAO finally HAS to change the judging during prelims/interview and final night. Because obviously Mallory impressed during interview and then they threw points her way for the rest of the game. Not impressed at all.

As for onstage question, such short pageant patty answers. Mallory had a pretty deep question, and in seven seconds she answers a curt
    non-answer "Don't fight violence with violence." Uggh, I can't wait to hear her one-liners this year, not.

MAO has been going down to the tubes for years.
  31. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Totally agree. She just wasn't that impressive with her answer, her walk, her talent, or her look. Out of the top five I would have gone with Oklahoma. A lot of the "talent" was super sloppy, save for 2 or 3 acts. I would have liked to see some different options in the top 15.