Mishkutenok and Dmitriev?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by SkateBlades17, Jul 31, 2012.

1. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

I was never that into pairs skating when I was young, so I didn't follow what happened with Mishkutenok and Dmitriev. I'm just wondering, why did they split up and then he skate with Oksana Kazakova? Watching old tapes back, Mishkutenok and Dmitriev were really beautiful together!

2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

She wanted to retire but he didn't iirc

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. oliver

oliver New Member

iirc, there was a "romance" problem....

4. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Yeah, dontya just hate it your guy knocks up some other girl. :p

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Morozov was at it even then!?

6. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

i thought the backstory then was that mishkutenuk (sp?) was attracted to dmitriev, and that caused an awkward tension between the two since dmitriev was with someone else?

7. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

I had heard this too (that she liked him but he didn't in that way). But I'm not sure if this was speculation or if it was confirmed or not.

8. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll get slammed for not providing video proof of this, which I can't provide, but I actually did see this during a fluff piece on a US skating broadcast in mid-1990's (I'm guessing it was between 1992 and 1994 Olympics), and have always remembered it. In this fluff piece, M&D were being interviewed and Natalia literally broke down in tears when they were talking about no longer skating together, and the theme of the interview was that she was in love with Artur and thought they would be married, when he did not feel the same about her. I also remember it was said that Artur and their coaches had to hide the fact that his girlfriend was going to have a baby from Natalia so that she would not be distracted from competing.

Like I said, I can't provide a link, cause lawdy knows what event I saw it on with the dozens of skating shows we got (blessed) with in the 1990's, but I did see this on US television, I'm guessing CBS.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  9. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

^ the whole thing was spun like "crazy stalker bitch threatens their chance for gold" but they all admitted to lying to her, and I'm not convinced he didn't lead her on for years just so they'd look more loved up on ice. G&G were a hard act to top.

10. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Scandal

11. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

Back here in Blighty we never get any good gossip from the BBC.
    Tell me more...............................................

12. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Artur wasn't married when all of this drama took place but to be clear, the "girl friend" became his first wife (they are now divorced) and the baby was Artur, Jr. So it wasn't just some casual thing. Artur is coaching in Russia now.

Natalia has her own family and coaches in Texas these days.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  13. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

That's gotta be a tough situation for everyone. Usually you just hear about the pairs who end up getting married. Not one-sided romances!

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I never heard about that one. I had heard things along the retirement line, that they didn't do well as professionals, that she became too big, etc. Who lot of stuff.

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I definitely heard about the 'big' thing.. while she was noticeably larger than the other women competing in the pairs in '94 she was not at all fat by 'normal' standards!!

16. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

In the 94 Olympics fluff, it was presented as Artur having been a "big brother" figure to her and that was why she had such a hard time with the fact that he was basically growing up and getting a life. IIRC, she did break down and cry in that one, so it may have been the same one you described. However, the commentator didn't say anything to suggest that there was any romantic feeling between them, although it seemed obvious that there was, at least on Natalia's part. I mean, a grown woman just doesn't break down and cry on TV over losing her "brother figure" to his new wife. On the other hand, if she'd spent her whole life in the rink with no sense of herself outside of skating and no clue what she was going to do after it was over, I guess she could get that upset about the fact that the closest person to her moving on and leaving her behind, so who knows. I remember in the Goodwill Games exhibition (their last competition together, I think) they skated to "Somewhere In Your Heart" and I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence or a deliberate message. I was so ridiculously obsessed with this pair at the time.

Re: The weight thing, she'd apparently gained a lot of weight after Albertville. She'd lost most of it by the time they returned to competition in 94. I do remember them being disappointed with their pro career during that period, but post 94 was a different ballgame. I can't imagine them not at least making a comfortable living if they'd stuck around.

17. Aussie Willy

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  18. canbelto

canbelto Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, I freaking loved them. Omg.:( Still one of the most inventive, charismatic pairs of all time. And I loved the death glares Natasha gave Artur when he made a mistake. They were awesome.:lol:

19. Minou

Minou Member

Natalia was dating Alexei Urmanov in 1992 --it was a long-term relationship -- when Artur told her he was going to be a father and get married. Natalia and Alexei were a super cute couple.

Their romance is highlighted here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckFYpyXOmzs
    Aleksei Urmanov (EUN) - 1992 Albertville, Men's Free Skate

I think a lot of the "jilted Natasha" press was spin, especially leading up to the 1998 JO. I also think M&D may have had a teenage romance that passed...

And the swan comment? Natalia was a beautiful Swan à la Saint-Saens. Being a fan, I also think Natalia's superior line, edges, and much more are overlooked due to repeated discussions about her weight and flexibility.

They're my all time favs.

20. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

So Urmanov dated Marina Anissina and also Natalia M... The guy has some good taste :)

21. leafygreens

I remember seeing a fluff piece where Natalia talked about how she "lost some kilos... about 4 kilos." I believe this was during 1994 Olys.

22. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

^ Yes, this one. She didn't cry in it but they showed a clip where she broke down while sitting next to Dmitriev. She talks about losing weight and cutting her hair.

23. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

Thanks everyone for the info. Wow I got more than I thought I would asking this, I never knew about the one-sided romance stuff, etc. Regardless, they were beautiful skating together anbd it's too bad they couldn't have stayed together as a pair.

24. Aussie Willy

:eek::lol: OMG the bit at the end where he is throwing his baby around!

Here is one of their professional performances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-40qZAY2Gw&feature=related

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  25. leafygreens

Their pair spin was really innovative. They seemed to be more spunky than the typical "classical" Russian pair.

26. sequins

sequins Active Member

Holy crap I never knew all this. I only ever saw them perform once in the 94 Olys and loved them thought they should've won, still do, but I had no idea about all this it's:eek: and a kinda:(

27. Aussie Willy

28. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I remember quite the brouhaha over this comment from Moskvina about Natalia's weight:

Pairs Skating Can Lead to Double the Trouble

29. leafygreens

I remember thinking that M&D were so much more exciting to watch than G&G. It seemed G&G won due to being the favorites.

After re-watching the programs, I just don't know. M&D had a lot more elements in the program. G&G's looked sparse/boring. But it may be because G&G made the difficult look so easy.

30. Aussie Willy

I rewatched both of them and whilst there were mistakes, G&G had a clarity of line and ease of movement that is quite special. And whilst you can't hear it, apparently the one thing they had above the other skaters was their quietness on the ice. I also felt they had a better connection to the music. As the commentator said on the clip I saw, it was as if Beethoven had written that music for them. I don't think I got quite the same connection with M&D.