Mirror pairs - who knows any?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Shyjosie, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

The Yamaguchi/Galindo thread inspired me to ask this question which has been on my mind for long:
    Are there any successful mirror pairs (pairs with one oartner skating clockwise and one counter-clockwise)? If so, who are they and in which era did they compete? Can you name the clockwise skater?

Yamaguchi/Galindo competed during the late 80s until Kristi decided to go for singles. He was the clockwise skater.
    Torvill/Hutchinson were a mirror pair in the early/mid 70s until Torvill moved on to ice dance. She was the clockwise skater.

I'm sure I've seen more but the names just escape me.
    Any ideas?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Tiffany Vise and Derek Trent were mirror pairs. Vise is the CW skater. They competed in the 2000s and were the first to do a throw quad salchow, but otherwise did not get much international success.

ETA: Wikipedia tells me that Jill Watson (counter-clockwise) and Peter Oppegard (clockwise) were also a mirror pair.
    They won an olympic medal in 1988 (bronze), so that seems successful.

3. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

Thank you, Skittl1321, I've just youtubed them and found their '88 long program:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0QBuh8zBPI

An interesting aspect is that they did the spins counter clockwise, even the individual/side-by-side ones which Oppegard might have skated in his direction. Awesome to watch!

4. TartanSk8ter

TartanSk8ter New Member

Thanks, ShyJosie! I'd never heard of mirror pairs. Interesting.

5. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

You're welcome, TartanSk8ter - I've been looking for sktaters who are different from the mainstream since I found out that clockwise skaters are rare (which I was told the moment I started roller skating at 13, turning clockwise :)).
    I admire mirror pairs for their ability to adjust to one another despite the diffficult moves and the inclination of at least one partner at a time to turn the other way. They have to overcome even more obstacles than a "usual" pair has to, and pairs skating must be utterly demanding.
    Are there any current pairs, btw? I guess with today's rules and competitors, it must have become almost impossible to succeed as a mirror pair.

6. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

sorry.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I think the US had a couple of pairs a few years ago who both jumped and did spins clockwise. Which whilst not mirror is different from usual. Tiffany someone?

8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Tiffany Scott and Philip Dulebohn? (And for one more year she competed with Rusty Fein, also clockwise)

9. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

10. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

Thank you all, this is so interesting!
    Pairs made up by two clockwise skaters are rare, too, because it must be difficult to find a matching partner.
    Most recently I watched a vid of a Canadian (?) pair, whose names escaped me, who are both clockwise skaters, too.

11. patinage

patinage Member

Paige Lawrence and Rudi Swiegers

12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

That was the one - thanks.

13. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

14. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

edited, double post...