Mirai Nagasu interview: "Skating is a part of me, but it doesn’t define who I am"

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here's Mirai Nagasu's interview with Figure Skaters Online before Nationals: http://figureskatersonline.com/news...s-a-part-of-me-but-it-doesnt-define-who-i-am/

Re-posting this 20-minute video feature on Mirai Nagasu in case anyone missed seeing it posted by icellist in the U.S. Ladies thread in the Trash Can back in late December:
    http://uverseonline.att.net/play/tv/show/u-verse-exclusive/p/video/dk___dk_exc_sp1215_dec12.mp4

My original reply: Thanks for posting this well-done video story on Nagasu! This was filmed before she left for Cup of China and includes insightful comments by her coaches, Wendy Olson and Amy Evidente, as well as her friend, ice dancer Roxette Howe. It also shows her training at Pickwick, getting/breaking in new skates, and her off-ice training regimen. (ETA: also helping coach young beginner skaters and relaxing at a friend's house)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks much, Sylvia. An excellent antidote to Phil Hersh's lousy and insulting dismissal of Mirai.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

THIS!

And thank you again Sylvia! Great interview. Mirai seems ready to shed some demons.

4. Sugar64

Sugar64 Member

Thank you! I'm glad I missed the article by Phil. I'm assuming Phil Hersh?

5. Sasha'sSpins

Yeah-that's the one. His article was pure Negative Nelly. :rolleyes:

6. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I'm so impressed with how Mirai has grown as both a person and a skater. No matter how she does in Omaha, she should be proud of how of herself and how much she has matured.

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

And before Mirai's scores even come up for her SP, I say: "Take that, @olyphil!"

Mirai!!! :cheer:

ETA:
    Phil Hersh's follow-up article today focusing on Mirai, still inaccurately terms her National's appearance as "an afterthought." Phil further claims that Mirai's third place showing has made her "part of the conversation." I suppose Phil was napping all last fall when Mirai was winning a 4th place and a bronze medal on the GP circuit, and another bronze at Finlandia Trophy. But, oh I forgot, Phil isn't interested in paying figure skating athletes much attention or making them "part of the conversation," unless they consistently land on the podium, preferably bagging silver or gold.

Phil, maybe you should take a little time out of your busy schedule and pay more attention to what becoming a more consistent champion in this sport actually takes these days. Actually, in figure skating, things have never been as "cut-and-dried" as you seem to think.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Sasha'sSpins

I thought Phil liked Mirai. I can't help but wonder if she peed in his Cheerios or something?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.