MIRAI CHEER THREAD---sending love and good thoughts to her!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by rosewood, Jan 14, 2014.

1. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

This is a cheer thread for Mirai Nagasu. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Continue.
  2. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I sent her a message on her website. I did not mention any controversy, just that she did great at nationals and we all love her.
  3. rosewood

I think I'll donate to Mirai. See the "Funding Beloved Skaters" thread in TC.
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I hope she has a great 4CC, gets funding and turns a new leaf. She has been on this roller coaster for so long, it's hard to believe she is only 20.
  5. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Mirai on making it back to the Nationals podium for the fourth (!) time! :encore:

I think Mirai means "future" in Japanese (?). Mirai, please believe in your bright future and please keep working to make it a reality, including being the readiest first alternate ever! Can't wait to see you at 4 C's!
  6. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Ha ha, I was just telling my husband that Mirai means "future" and that is her name and not Mariah.
  7. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

So proud of Mirai's accomplishments this season!! I cannot wait to see what her future holds!!
  8. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I sent her a message the day after the nationals LP. Will continue to send her good vibes. It must have been so difficult for her to skate the exhibition right after finding out she was bumped off the Olympic team. She skated beautifully in spite of her tears. It reminded me of Michelle's Fields of Gold exhibition at the 2002 Olympics.
  9. rosewood

Did you send the message on her website like leafygreens did?
  10. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Mirai had a thread close on her - yet another great accomplishment :rockstar: She has officially made it.
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Yes
  12. rosewood

Thank you, Vash. I'll do, too.:inavoid:

:lol::biggrinbo
  13. purpledream

purpledream New Member

Mirai!! <3 what a journey, and all the best!! Hope she gets a nice support team and kind guidance <: Rooting for her! :D GOOOO MIRAI! :D
  14. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Mirai is one of my all-time favorite skaters and I wish her all the best moving forward.

I know the name "Mirai" means future but for me it also means "beautiful smile."

I not only admire Mirai's skating but her free spirit which seems so genuine.

Here is a clip of one of my favorite Mirai performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2R_HqZnz4

Just magnificent and my favorite Ladies SP ever!

I could post more but maybe a few of you would like to add some favorite programs or clips of interviews, etc.

Good luck at 4CC Mirai !
  15. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

How can we help with Mirai funding? She seems to have whole outpour of support right now and as far as rumors go it has always been a huge trouble for her family.
  16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I think right now Mirai may need a lot of encouragement to continue skating and competing. Such a horrible disappointment can be devastating. I think contributing to her fund is a great idea, but does she get most of that money? What fraction does USFSA keep for the fed?
  17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

If you donate through New England Amateur Skating Foundation the skater gets 98% 2% is used for operating expenses (according to a few skaters sights). Other websites say skaters get 100%. I would not donate through USFS, if there is a way to do that.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thank you Skittl1321.

I just saw Sylvia's post in the other thread. It seems the skater has to be registered there in order to receive the funds. If Mirai is not registered, one of the first things for her to do would be to register there, then let the money flow. This bad situation could potentially turn into a good one for her.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?90670-Funding-Beloved-Skaters/page2
  19. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

But would Mirai be willing to accept the money? I'm not so sure... I think there's also other sites where someone can make an account to receive donations. Maybe one of us could make that account and forward the money to her.
  20. Spun Silver

Mirai definitely receives support through NEASF. If anyone would like to help put together a crowdfunding campaign too, in order to reach new supporters, I would be willing to help with it.
  21. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

If you donate through US Skating Ashley and other skaters will most likely get some of your donation.

If you want to specifically donate to Mirai see the thread about funding through the NEASF.

Spun Silver, thanks for sharing this info with Mirai fans.
  22. Kabooke

Kabooke New Member

So much love for Mirai worldwide! :swoon:

Spun Silver, love that info!
  23. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I may be interested, but not sure what I would need to do.
  24. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Me too!
  25. icellist

icellist New Member

Better yet, can an admin add a sticky to the GSD for donating/funding skaters?

I think that'll be the best/most beneficial for skaters in the long term
  26. rosewood

I sent a message to her again. I wrote supportive message and also asked her to put the link to NEASF on the top page of her official site like Agnes'. Wish the link helps people who are considering about supporting her financially.
  27. Spun Silver

Please check out the site Gofundme.com. Some of us did a little crowdfunding research recently in connection wth Jesse, and this looked like the easiest site to work with. If you read how it works, you will get an idea of what tasks are involved in setting it up. If you are still interested, pm me. Thanks! :)
  28. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Mirai was screwed out of an Olympic berth in favor of junior skater Polina. I hope she doesnt lose heart and continues with the sport.
  29. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

You summed it up! I am really concerned that she may feel too discouraged to skate well at 4CC and everyone will turn on her saying- see? her nationals performance was a fluke; she didn't deserve the Olympics.

It's particularly disheartening to me as a fan of figure skating (not just Mirai) that she is being dissed for her past performances, and every possible flaw in her skating and in her character. She deserves better.
  30. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

There are so many who are proud of Mirai and hope and wish for her continued success.

Hang in there, Mirai!! There is more greatness in you and wonderful things coming your way.

O-
  31. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

32. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am wondering if this disappointment may be a blessing in disguise for Mirai? She is getting a lot more attention, so part of me likes to believe that it is, but part of me (the pessimistic one) thinks that she may be too disheartened to continue.
  33. Kabooke

Kabooke New Member

Hopefully all the love and support she is receiving will help her. Everyone now knows how she got screwed over and she'll have more support worldwide than ever before. If this is what she wants I hope she doesn't let the idiots of her own federation stop her from reaching new heights.
  34. Spun Silver

It occurs to me that Mirai might need some help maintaining her website, which would help her take advantage of this wave of awareness and sympathy. I know other skating fans have served as webmasters for various skaters.
  35. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Hey, I don't know if this is very realistic or not, but on another skating board a poster wondered whether Mirai might look into representing Japan. I know that would be a long shot fraught with difficulty, and she'd have to sit out before being released by USFS (which doesn't make sense as they've shown in more ways than one that they have no use for her). However, if as it has been reported Mao, Akiko, Murakami and other Japanese ladies will be retiring, maybe Japan might be interested in Mirai (with her Japanese heritage) representing their country. Of course she'd have to become a citizen, etc., etc. But maybe Nobu Sato (Yuka's dad, might coach her). Does any of this sound realistic, especially in view of the fact that Mirai is still relatively young and talented?
  36. Skittl1321

Mirai is a Japanese citizen, and does not have to give it up (or renounce US) until she is 22.

The biggest issues, to me, are: 1) what does it do to her career to sit out for 2 years? 2) Does she want to renounce her US citizenship when she reaches 22, or did she plan to give up the Japanese citizenship? After 22, she cannot have both. Although I know some skaters have renounced citizenship to skate for other countries, most skaters who country hop have dual citizenship recognized (the Reeds for instance renounced their US citizenship to continue to skate for Japan, but I imagine it is a decision that can't be taken lightly- regardless of which way the decision goes).
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  37. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

You mean she's already a Japanese citizen due to Japan being her parents country of birth? If so, with many of the Japanese ladies retiring, I wonder if this is a viable option for Mirai? Would be fun to see her skating great and winning medals for Japan, not to mention being royally appreciated there. :)
  38. Skittl1321

Yes. She is already a Japanese citizen.
  39. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

May be she could hire someone - even part time to do this? It will cost money of course but she may have more money flowing in as a result, giving her a good return on the investment.
  40. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

The toughest part would be sitting out 2 years. Right now she has the momentum so it will be tough to do that. Also giving up the US citizenship would be tough, but other skaters have done similar things for the opportunity to skate in the Olympics (and win medals). It depends on how badly she wants it and if she is convinced this is the end of the road with the USFSA. It does appear that they would rather promote younger skaters who can do 3-3 combinations. May be she can give it a try for one more season to see which way the wind is blowing before making a decision. Of course that would mean sitting out 2 years closer to the 2018 Olympics.

BTW I did not realize she had dual citizenship with Japan & the USA because I thought Japan did not allow dual citizenship. May be there is an exception for children born to Japanese parents?