"Mind Games: Challenge of Figure Skating" (news story filmed before 2010 Olympics)

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Sylvia, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

"16x9" is a Canadian current affairs program on the Global TV network -- they have a YouTube channel that recently uploaded the Season 2 Episode 52 story that was filmed before the 2010 Vancouver Olympics with interview clips of Patrick Chan, Joannie Rochette, Jeff Buttle, Elvis Stojko, and Liz Manley.

Description of the episode:
    "From shattered expectations of Olympic past, to a new breed of Canadian athlete. 16:9 talks to the psychologist who is training our competitors' minds for victory. Christina Stevens reports": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEF3982bjfE

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

No Brian Orser? I would be very interested in his comments as well!

3. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think Brian may be tired of talking about it. I have an interview he did with Debi Wilkes on dvd where he said as much. Interviewers tend to put him on the defensive by asking him how it felt to lose the Olympic gold by a hair in "88, and through figures in "84.

Debi asked him what advice he would give to young skaters, and what was the key to his long competitive career. He said his competition goal was to come up with something new every season. When he peaked technically he focused on interpretation. He felt his '88 Olympic FS was his best competitive performance ever.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012