Miley Cyrus: I Hate Pop Music and Musicals

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Jun 3, 2010.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

So she hates her own music?

3. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

It's unfortunate that Miley thinks people care what she likes.

4. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

If she hates it so much, why doesn't she stop making it and torturing us with it?!

5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

So I guess she won't be attending "Achy Breaky Heart: The Musical"

6. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Grown ups don't. 8-13 year olds do.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

So, basically, Cyrus is majorly insecure about what she does.

8. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Yeh, I get that FSUers and dozens of bloggers have a special vintage venom reserved for this young lady. e.g. anything about her voice, her father, and alleged smoking (proven to be false, btw).

But I recommend reading the piece before slamming her for words that overedge embellishes in a headline. The girl just says she doesn't listen to pop music, and doesn't "get" musicals.

What the hell? :eek: A 17 year-old who doesn't "get" musicals! Stop the presses ... or burn her at the stake! Something. This is skandal.

Badams and (deleted member) like this.
  9. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

Do they? My nieces love Hannah Montana (I lost 2 hrs of my life when they put her concert on when I was babysitting once :shuffle:) but I doubt they care about whether Miley likes musicals. And they certainly don't read online interviews of her. But maybe they are exceptions, I dunno.

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if you insist :angryfire

11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

At the end of the article, where she describes the relationship between real life and the musical genre, she presents a very telling example. "What if this was real life and I was just walking down the street on Rodeo Drive..." this is not a girl who is in touch with real life in any way.

I think her statements were to make it sound like she's far more sophisticated than she is. I doubt she's turning away any of the money she's making off of those trite pop songs she sings. :rolleyes: Why doesn't she get, that it's this sort of crap that comes out of her mouth that make it so hard for people not to think she's an annoying brat?

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Like I said in the Glee thread, I just don't understand anybody who refuses to open their mind up regarding musicals. It's really another form of artistic expression for playwrights and filmakers. Anyway, what was Hannah Montana other than a knock-off of I Love Lucy type of slapstick? Oh yeah, a musical. Just because she has her songs set in "concert" or a "studio" doesn't make it any different.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  13. cruisin

Exactly!

BTW, just watched the last few minutes of The View. They had Kristin Chenoweth and Sean Hayes on. They are doing a revival of "Promises, Promises" on broadway. They did "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" on the show. AWESOME! Burt Bacharach, right?

BTW#2 - Sean Hayes is up for a Tony and will be hosting the Tonys this year. Loved him in Will and Grace, but even more now! He is so talented.
    Kristin Chenoweth - just goes without saying - Brilliant!

14. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I wish she wouldn't use the names of singers in the lyrics of songs SHE sings and puts out for public consumption, and then be completely ignorant of their work. I heard her doing a radio interview and the D.J. mentioned "Party in the USA" song and asked her what her favorite Jay-Z song was. A fairly reasonable question when you consider the song has the following lyrics:

and a Jay Z song was on
    and the Jay Z song was on
    and the Jay Z song was on

So her response in the interview? "I don't really care for his music. I don't know his stuff at all".

What a drip!

15. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

So she's basically admitting that she's a fake. Interesting. I bet she doesn't listen to Britney either :eek:

16. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

It is kind of amazing how many people swear they can't stand her, but appear to know all her songs and read her interviews.

I think there are a couple of posters here who pay a heck of a lot more attention to her than any 8-13 year old I know.

And now, if she sings a song, the lyrics must be an accurate reflection of her real life, tastes and thoughts, or she's a fake?

When you listen to someone wailing their way through "MacArthur Park," do you think they are fakes if no one REALLY left their cakes out in the rain?

17. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Well.. no.. but if she's gonna mention someone in her music the least she can do is know what songs they sing. Besides.. that song is somewhat a reflection of her life.. Nashville girl goes Hollywood and when the DJ plays those songs she relaxes and feels more "at home". So I would assume by listening to the lyrics that are seemingly about her life, that she listens to (or at least knows something about) the two artists she's singing about.

The reason people know her songs is because they play them on the radio.. I know a lot of songs of bands that I don't necessarily like.

18. overedge

No one is saying the lyrics *must* be an accurate reflection of her life. But since Jay-Z is a pretty big name in the music industry, it's kind of surprising that she doesn't even "know [his] stuff".

19. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Party in the USA was just a tribute to name dropping.

20. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

huhhhh?

manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Prancer

Since the song wasn't written by her or even for her, I don't think that's a safe assumption.

The song was written for someone else who didn't sing it, Walmart wanted a rockin' pop tune to kick off the Miley/Max Azaria clothing line, and the song was deemed a good fit for both Miley and the ad campaign.

I find it kind of strange that people who complain about her particular brand of pop would listen to a lot of radio stations that play her particular brand of pop, but what do I know? Apparently they look for her interviews as well--although for what purpose, I know not.

Really? So if I don't know any Jay-Z songs, I'm a fake? Because no one is saying that she should know his songs because he's a big name; the argument was that she's a fake for singing about about his songs when she doesn't know any of them.

22. overedge

AFAIK you're not making money from singing songs about him. If you were, and you were also a big star in the recording industry and you didn't know at least a couple of his songs ("Empire State of Mind" got played to death last year) - *and* you sang a song namechecking him without, apparently, finding out something about him - then, yes, I would consider you a fake.

23. Prancer

I had no idea people were so literal minded about their pop music.

So when ABBA made millions singing songs in English even though the girls didn't speak the language and learned the words phonetically, thus not understanding a single thing they actually sang, did you have a problem with that?

24. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Who pissed in Prancer's Cheerios?

skaternum and (deleted member) like this.
  25. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

I really liked "Party In The USA" :shuffle: and Miley Cyrus not knowing a Jay-Z song does not really affect my enjoyment one way or the other.

Prancer, I had no idea that the ABBA girls couldn't speak English. Interesting.

26. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

DING DING DING! You got it! I shudder at the mere sound of ABBA. Setting aside the issue of whether or not they understood their lyrics, the music itself was dreck! I mean seizure inducing dreck...makes me shudder when I hear it. And even if they didn't know what the meaning of the words, I'm sure they would have taken a few moments to understand the kind of topic they were singing.

Miley and other artists have a choice in deciding what songs they'll record and what they won't. But let's assume she doesn't have any say so what so ever. I'm not saying everyone has to believe or even understand every word they sing. But if you're going to reference an event in history or the name of someone in a song that has been written for you, take 30 seconds to Google that reference so that you know what they hell you're singing about. I don't think it's unreasonable that if you're going to mention other artists in songs that you sing that you at least know something about your musical peers. You don't have to like their music, but you should know it.

Believe me, she's not alone in Pop Princess Ignorance. There's a whole school of them out there.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  27. Prancer

I don't think liking the song is the point of all this.

They could speak a little, but had to annotate their music with pronounication guides.

Berry Gordy had most of the big Motown stars do the same back in the 60s so they could record music in European languages and T.A.T.U sang in English phonetically.

But why stop with Pop Princesses? Plenty of regular old everyday folks also hear, see, and use references without knowing anything about them or bothering to find out.

I use a print selection from a South Park episode in one of my classes, even though I have never watched a single episode of South Park. I use a video clip of Hannity and Colmes and have never watched Hannity and Colmes other than that.

And I am getting paid for this! I hope no one finds out what a fake I am. Of course, I usually end up telling my classes that I haven't watched either, but apparently that doesn't help in these situations.

Sometimes, I even watch clips from shows I am not familiar with on YouTube--and I don't make any effort at all to watch full episodes.

28. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

I know. I just felt the need to confess a sekret shame. ;)

TygerLily and (deleted member) like this.
  29. cruisin

I don't listen to her music, I don't listen to stations that play it. I've seen two or three of her music videos, when they've been played on some TV show that I happened to be watching. I've seen reports on her on entertainment news, I've seen her interviewed on the red carpet for awards ceremonies, and you can't even open a fashion magazine anymore without a photo of her. I read the article that was posted here, because it was posted here.

I didn't like ABBA or any of the bubble gum (like The Partridge Family) music from my generation either.

So, with that in mind, I still think she's a no-talent, arrogant, brat. But there are a lot of teeny princesses and princes out there who are famous and have no real talent, she's not alone.

She has a clothing line? What is with the fashion industry lately? Handing out brand names to Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson, Miley Cyrus, and other TV, movie, reality stars who's names escape me at the moment? :rolleyes:

30. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I think they (the articles) are all posted here. It's like they are stalking me. And she makes appearances on AI, DWTS. I try to avoid her. And like poison oak, I am not always successful.