Miki is a Mama

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by allezfred, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Why is the couple delaying marrying? Hope this is not a rebound situation with an unexpected surprise.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

We don't know the details of her private life; and Miki is under no obligation to share them -- with anyone.

hanca, alilou, spikydurian and 5 others like this.
  3. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

well, we do know some of the details of her private life obviously. The situation just naturally encourages some curiosity and, of course, Miki has no obligation to share them. A frequent attitude in Japan with the men involved in such situations is not comforting. Hope her man is different.

Miki skating at 2013 Art on Ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SIplw9G5i8

Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://www.japancrush.com/2013/stories/scandal-as-top-figure-skater-has-child-out-of-wedlock.html

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  4. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

The photo and article in Miki's Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...90922639.86308.391337110926667&type=1&theater
    Translating to English from Japanese.
    July 4th, 2013

By "Miki Ando" official
    Miki Ando in "Art on Ice". She resumed the practice in about one month after childbirth and came back to the performance in about two months. Because the muscle power of the various parts of her body is hurting, it was every day which she can't skate in the way of the own thought. Nevertheless, she tackled the 'muscle training' earnestly and was returning a jump fairly, but she gave up attempting the jump in the real show, because she injured the hip just before "Art on Ice".
    She regret it.

2013 Art on Ice in Japan - Miki Ando "Amazing Grace"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEvOf966pI4

Miki Ando with baby
    http://dailywom.com/geinou/201307/20130702/image3_3.jpg

In June 28th, Miki Ando challenged 3S after a long interval, but fell regrettably.
    According to her facebook, she seems to have nailed 3S tightly while challenging it again in the night stage in June 29th.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...90922639.86308.391337110926667&type=1&theater

Miki Ando in her official Facebook.

By "Miki Ando" Official
    It is the state of her jump in "Dream on Ice" ( 6/30 ).
    The person concerned spilled tears unconsciously because they had watched the effort by her after childbirth.
    She returned to this situation well.
    It doesn't fill 3 months from her childbirth.
    At first, she seems to have felt even the skates heavy.
    Because the warm word was sent her by many persons after the broadcasting of the topics on the TV program, all the parties concerned are impressed.
    In all ages, Miki Ando is being an ordinary girl who likes the figure skating and has a dream to become a coach. But she is a Worlds champion twice and is a mother also of one child now. Please cheer her from now on also.

Miki's jump at "Dream on Ice" in July 30th. Miki Ando "Phantom of the Opera" (Video)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=480951805313171&set=vb.391337110926667&type=2&theater

Miki Ando in the opening of the final day (6/30) of "Dream on Ice". Her look is telling everything. (Video)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=480739272001091&set=vb.391337110926667&type=2&theater

This is an article in “Mainichi Shimbun in Japan.

Miki Ando announced a comment: She showed the conation to child care and Olympics, but didn’t disclose the father.
    July 3rd, 2013

Photo:
    Photography: by Susumu Yamamoto
    Miki Ando who waves a hand with a smile to the audience after the ice show, "Art on Ice" at Yoyogi National Gymnasium in Tokyo in June 1st, 2013.
    http://mainichi.jp/graph/2013/07/04/20130704k0000m050053000c/001.html

By Tatsuya Haga
    In July 3rd, the former Worlds champion Miki Ando (25, Shinyokohama Prince Club) who released the childbirth of a girl on the TV program announced a comment to each news media.
    In the comment, she showed the conation to participate to Olympics which will become her third Olympics anew, saying " I would like to challenge with my all power, aiming at Sochi Olympics, with concentrating on the skating, while cherishing time with my dear daughter”.

After she released the childbirth of a girl in TV program in the night of July 1st, this is the first time that she announced her own comment. Ando said, "As for the father of my dear girl, I would like to refrain from releasing the name as my thought". Moreover, she finished the comment, saying, "I am happy if you understand my feelings and watch over us quietly by putting this my announcement as the end”.

The article:
    Miki Ando announced a comment: She showed the conation to child care and Olympics, but didn’t disclose the father.
    http://mainichi.jp/sports/news/20130704k0000m050053000c.html

The comment of Miki Ando
    http://amd.c.yimg.jp/amd/20130703-00000023-tospoweb-000-3-view.jpg

To person concerned.
    Dear everybody of each news media

I apologize deeply for being causing you worry as for my private affair in this time, to everybody of Japan Skating Federation, the person concerned and the fan.

As for the father of my dear daughter, I would like to refrain from releasing the name as my thought.

I am happy if you understand my feelings and watch over us quietly by making this comment an end, because I think that I would like to challenge with my all power, aiming at Sochi Olympics, with concentrating on the skating, while cherishing time with my dear daughter from now on.
    Thank you very much for your cooperation.

July 3rd, 2013
    Miki Ando

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  5. Ilvskating

Ilvskating New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLsYz-S2EMU

According to this, Miki and Morozov last met in June 2012---he choreographed her programs for the season, and Miki gave birth in April---That's ten months

Also according to this http://sports.sohu.com/20130702/n380486121.shtml, M was really surprised to learn that Miki gave birth in April, and asked the interviewer to repeat. He was silent for a long period of time after the confirmation. When asked if he's the father of the baby, he said first "it's not possible, and then added, "She didn't tell me anything"------This is kinda different from a total denial.
    I don't understand japanese so don't know if the translation is accurate though.

I know it is none of my business, just wondering....

but anyway, congratulations to Miki for the baby---she looks so happy and beautiful with the baby. To be honest, I think Miki finally showed her soul in her skating after M-M relationship and for that, we can't deny the positive influence of Morozov on her development, let alone the titles.

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

If the baby's first word is 'spaceba' then we can guess who the baby' daddy is.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

A public figure doesn't give up their right to privacy; or the choice of what to reveal to an interviewer,

8. Ilvskating

Ilvskating New Member

9. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

^^^ I think it's rather creepy for someone to have archived Ando's tweets from 2012.

Akira Andrea, I asked this question in another thread but what are the original Japanese words or phrases for "thews" and "thew training" in your translation of the first article in post #124 above? I really appreciate the time you take to translate so many articles! :)

10. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I think "thew" refers to "kinryoku" which is literally "muscle power" ie strength.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Thanks, allezfred! Google translated the second phrase as "strength training."

12. Ilvskating

Ilvskating New Member

Actually it was not Archiving, that person just wanted to share Miki's tweet as a fan because in China people do not have access to youtube, facebook or tweeter, the kind of social media abroad. People with computer skills can "cross the wall" and they "transport" the content back to China. Not sure if I translated it correctly, but you get the idea.

Call me creepy but I just read that the Japanese figure skater just said he's not the father and when asked he said he knows who the father is. Miki's grandfather also confirmed that the said skater is not the father. When asked about M, both said they can not say that much. There is also saying that Miki gave birth on April 3, and it was a delayed labor,later then due date. Someone also point out it should be 280 days not 10 months. There is also a comment that sunflower is the national flower of Russia?

Anyway, I think she's very brave to give birth to the baby and I wish her all the best. If she can regain her form and all her jumps, she has a shot at an olympic medal.

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Miki's father died when she was a child.

14. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I didn't say they did. I just said it encouraged curiosity when something like this is left up in the air. What are the reasons someone would not reveal who the father of their child is.
    Some possibilities: they don't know; he is a married man; pregnancy by artificial insemination; embarrassed by who the father is......; doesn't want the father to know he is...;

15. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

She has a stepfather that she considers her father.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Ilvskating has changed "father" to "grandfather."

280 days is 40 weeks, or a little over 9 months (3/4 of a year).

17. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

Thank you very much for your pointing-out an error.
    I could correct the word in the article immediately, to "muscle power" from "thew".

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

This was very reminiscent of Kwan's Bolero...well, one of the versions she skated. I wonder if Morosov choreographed this piece of Miki. If so, then I think we know who tinkered with Christopher Dean's Bolero (other than Kwan and Arutunian).

Wow. Well, good for Miki for "asserting her rights as a single mother", and maybe this will shed some light on the realities of "illegitimate" children and maybe they can be afforded more protections than they currently have in Japan...if we take that article as painting the entire picture of course. It's also pretty cool and a little brave to be open about choosing to keep her baby when she found out she was pregnant. Many women wouldn't admit to that due to societal shame for even considering it. I wonder if it's less taboo in Japan than it is in the United States.

Those comments underneath that article were pretty depressing to read, but then, I'm not surprised. Internet comments attract all the trolls.

BTW, from that archived tweet, I love that Miki was quoting lines from "A Very Unusual Way" from the musical Nine. It's one of the best songs from that musical.

19. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

VIETgrlTerifa

Sadly many children born out of wedlock in Japan have a difficult time, officially, as you noted, and socially. At school they are frequently bullied and called names. Out of wedlock parentage is still a no no in Japan, which has a single digit out of wedlock rate and has the second lowest out of wedlock rate worldwide. Only Korea has a lower rate.

Abortion is illegal in Japan.
    "Chapter XXIX of Penal Code of Japan makes abortion illegal. Meanwhile, Maternal Health Protection Law allows approved doctors to practice abortion with the consent of the mother and her spouse, if the pregnancy has been from rape, or if the continuation of the pregnancy may severely endanger the maternal health. Any other persons, including the mother herself, trying to abort the fetus will be punished by the law. Anyone trying to practice abortion without the consent of the woman will also be punished, including the doctors." (wikipedia)
    Women having an illegal abortion can be imprisoned for one year. I wonder how many actually are.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I thought it was an old April's Fool thread somehow made it into my new post search.

21. karlon

karlon New Member

I also thought many comments underneath that article were depressing to read..but I agreed with this one comment

'Can’t be helped that a female athlete will be criticized. That’s the price of fame.
    I feel that that guy who just watched by as she flung herself into the fire is an asshole though.
    I guy like that can’t protect either his wife or his child from the start.'

I guessed she is being attacked by media, and receive much criticized from people in japan according to this website. pity, but can't be helped that famous female athlete who has a baby out of wedlock will be criticized from media and people, That is the price of fame. Especially in very conservative Asian countries... and I feel bad that the guy who is father of baby has just watched that she flung herself into the fire. That guy didn't protect her and his baby either. I do not know why she should be in front of the media alone

22. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

I guess the father is Morozov, then. Otherwise she could have reveiled him or at least just tell something about him. Plus she didn't show the baby's face, she could have look a bit like Moro :)

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I was thinking along these lines and was waiting for someone to mention it...from what I've read, the situation just seems...odd.

Still though, I'll refrain from speculating further and just wish her the best of luck!

24. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Sounds like a case of Miki loving Morozov too much.:p Whatever, wish Miki good luck and happy!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If it's difficult to be child of a single mother, add being mixed race in Japan into the mix.

I thought that it wasn't uncommon in Japan for couples to marry after the first child is born, but maybe I misunderstood some earlier threads.

26. Ilvskating

Ilvskating New Member

Just want to correct the choreography portion---M didn't choreograph Miki's program for 2012/2013----can't find "edit" button any more?

27. Maureen

Maureen Member

Miki looks very happy. Wishing her all the best!

28. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

I think that Miki's Bolero, too, of this time isn't the choreography of Morozov, because even the Bolero in 2008/2009 season, when Morozov had coached her, was what was choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto. I think that it was choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto or Miki itself probably.

Reference
    2009 Stars on Ice in Japan Tour: Miki Ando "Bolero"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjXNoK0A_2A

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  29. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

After 24 hours you can't edit your posts anymore.

30. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I grew up in Japan but never noticed kids are bullied just because of this. Nobody really cares. I was in much more unfortunate situation than Miki's daughter is but never got picked on or bullied just because of my background. You can also get a decent job. Nobody has access to your birth certificate other than the Government. Also, I know it's not illegal to have an abortion in Japan because I know at least a several people who had an abortion when I was growing up. It's like gambling in Japan, It's illegal to gamble but many people do gamble there. If abortion was really illegal, Miki wouldn't have thought about having an abortion. Miki said she chose the baby's life over skating, that tells me that she had a choice. I am so glad that she chose the baby's life though. I am so happy for her.