Miki Ando's (under)appreciation

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by cx3, Dec 9, 2010.

1. cx3

cx3 New Member

Lately, I've seen lots and lots of talk about how boring Miki's programs, she is only winning due to the lack of any challenges etc. . .

Does anyone else think that Miki, especially her jumps, are under appreciated? Certainly, I can't think of another lady (other than Yu-Na) at the moment who's jumps are consistently landed and cover that much ice. Also, is she really THAT much below the other top ladies in other areas? Her PCS is not THAT low (I know her PCS scores have been a contested topic).

What do you think?

(disclaimer: I really like Miki, but can understand the criticisms of her)

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I really liked Miki in her heyday. I just find that now it's a little bit of a letdown that she keeps winning with watered-down content and without making a real effort to try and interpret her music - I'm not disputing her recent wins, I think it just goes to show that ladies skating is not at a highpoint right now. Where her jumps are rock solid I'd also like to see her attempting the 3lz-3lo and 2a-3t more frequently, she is definitely capable of landing those competitions beautifully but recently she has been leaving them out likely b/c she knows she doesn't need them.

3. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

I love her jumps. I love what tiny little glimpses I've gotten to see of her personality, and her style. I love how smart she is. I love how solid she is as a competitor, and how classy. I love some of her exhibition numbers, mainly the few where it's obvious she really likes the music and is enjoying herself. I think anyone who posts comments about her physical appearance, positive or negative, is a jerk, and should stop.

I just hate her competitive skating, and for most competitions after she won her WC title, I hate how it is scored, if not necessarily the results.

4. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Aside from receiving absurd PCS marks, I also suspect that Ando might be conspiring with her coach / boy friend Morozov to milk her sponsor, Toyota, by often making meaningless changes to her programs and costumes.

I mean, what's the point of changing programs if there are no choreo or transitions in either old or new programs? Only work Morozov has to do is select a new BGM and order another costume. Otherwise, how can anyone build a new program in two weeks between TEB and GPF? But I assume Toyota pays him handsome amount nevertheless.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  5. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

This is exactly how I feel about Miki. She is so likeable as a person and so many other skaters seem to love her but then I see her skating and....:scream:

I just want Miki to go back in time and explore the Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence side of herself. It's the only competitive program of hers that I've really liked.

6. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

I can't believe I'm dignifying this with a response, but are you for real with this shit?

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  7. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

Rumblefish seems to have a lot of theories about Japanese skaters in general....:blah:

Most of them are crazy enough to make me laugh but maybe that's just me...

8. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I know it may sound crazy, but how else can you explain their program changes?

9. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Oh, don't bring this lame Nationalism crap again.:wall: This is an Ando thread hence I just posted a comment.

10. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

Actually a FSU member once sent me PMs advising I should not respond to Rumblefish posts, since this person never stops saying nasty and harsh things about Mao and Japan. I think the member was not a Japanese, but he/she said it's meaningless to take Rumblefish's posts seriously and I should not bother to respond to them.

His/her target was Mao before, and now Miki...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  11. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

:huh: So anyone who remarks that Miki is a beautiful young woman is a jerk?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I often feel Miki is underappreciated as a skater. People seem to pay attention to her jumps, but she has improved on so many other aspects of her skating in the last few years. But then again, everyone likes whoever they want and has their own opinions and we just have to respect that.

As for RumbleFish, I think the best thing we can do is ignore his/her comments. :p

13. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Not really. Peoples general accessment is correct. She is winning only due to the dearth of the field at the moment, and everyone else important being out or injured or falling all over the place. She is skating worse than she did in Vancouver and in Vancouver she was buried by the strength of the skating. She is a long way from her 2007 peak level yet she is winning, it really shouldnt be happening.

And if she **rated by anyone it is overrated by judges due to her reputation.

14. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Oh the hypocrisy.. you've done the same thing too and now you're b1tching about her/his post?!! :p

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I've always had the feeling that judges were harsh about underrotations with her. Her 3Lz/3Loop was really impressive, and she got so much downgrades.

On the other hand, she is way overrated in PCS. Her posture, choreo, interpretation are not that good.

16. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:D

17. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

I think most of the time Miki got marked deservingly. When she won her world title, it was coz both Asada and Kim bomb under pressure and she won barely less than a point over Asada.
    I'm not going to get int GP won because most of the time, GP events are pretty weak and most skaters are still getting into their programs. By world championship many skaters do clean up their acts and up their jumps contents.
    Miki improved a lot in other non jumps elements. She is already over 20s, so you cannot except her to be jumping beams like she used to when she was 15-16 years old.
    Also the judges are always harsh to her when it come to jumps.

18. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

Say what you want about her skating--she is a lovely person inside and out.

I know I read somewhere that she is the only skater who always wishes her competitors "good luck" before a competition. And, I remember seeing her comforting Mao and wiping away her tears after one of the events when Mao really bombed. That was a really sweet scene.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  19. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Miki's posture has gotten so much better and her spins are better this season.

20. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what I like about Miki most.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  21. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

yes, she seems to me too a very nice person.

As for her skating, I like her jumps, and I've enjoyed some of her programs.
    Thus, also her LP at last years worlds was great for me (I thought she was gonna to medal after that).

22. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

There are many things to like about Miki, she is nice, pretty, talented, and hardworking.

23. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

I think she made improvements, like her posture. Just compare her jerky footwork from the 2007 worlds to 2009. She used to stick her bottom out when she does her step sequences in 2007. I've seen some extremely bitter comments about Miki becoming a world champion and that was no watered down competition at all. It's not her fault that her competitors didn't deliver.

Miki would have benefited more if she chose a different choreographer. Morozov hasn't really produced any program post 2006 worth talking about (in a good way).

24. mmot

mmot Active Member

Personally, I do not think Miki is a very good 'competitor'. She seems far too sensitive and fragile for that. She said some time ago she didn't always enjoy being the centre of attention and being watched (not ideal as a figure skater!) - I am not sure whether that is a sad consequence of being chased by paparazzi 24/7 as a fragile teenager before Torino Olympics or a trait she was born with. She was also a target of a huge amount of bashing and some nasty anonymous messages directly sent to her, calling her names, criticising her appearance, etc, after her disappointing performance at Torino Olympics. Poor girl suffered so much. Moving to Morozov and consequently to the US, away from Japanese media attention, helped her a lot, she said.

Perhaps that was the reason why she sometimes appears rigid and lacking on-ice personality during the competition. I always enjoy her performance in galas so much more, where she can be freer, more fluid, expressive in a more natural way and often breathtakingly beautiful and touching.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Also the commentators of British Eurosport think completely opposite of what some members of FSU think, and they never fail to appreciate and commend on her performance, its beauty and her presence on ice. They are in love with Miki!

25. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I love Miki’s jumps… they are monster and powerful looking and they always take my breath away. The thing that I hate is her skating between the jumps. Part of the problem is that Miki carries herself across the ice in a very straight up and down way and doesn’t make her movements stretch out and look big. Her edges seem clunky and completely disjointed from her music. This most recent change in her short program was not really necessary considering it’s the SAME FRAMEWORK different music. The one thing that I can say about a skater like Yu NA is that her material looks completely different every season. This would be nice to see except Miki just does not have that type of range capacity with regards to different music genres to have an extensive repertoire. I think that this is why it’s easy to get bored watching her year after year… it’s the same program just different music. I will say that her programs in 2009 I think were really great! Its just too bad she didn’t have them last year although I don’t think she could have landed on the podium. Her performances of them however at the worlds in LA were great to see.

Now she seems to be really minimal in her effort. With most skaters’ its easy to see that they have been working hard at fixing glaring errors or weaknesses. There are even cases where their hard work pays off and is extremely visible. Yu Na for example fixed her long program inconsistency issues, Alissa is getting her stride back after fighting for years etc. Miki really needs to break through soon with programs that highlight her greatest strength…the jumps. She might always be a lopsided skater in that she is extremely good in the jump area but weak artistically but now she’s not even good with the JUMPS… I hope that she gets it together, private issues aside because she is one of my favorites to watch.

BTW, since i am a full time adult student, i am incapable of writing short responces...hehehehe