Miki Ando's quad salchow attempts video

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bartek, Dec 29, 2010.

1. bartek

bartek New Member

After my video with Irina Slutskaya's triple-triples I did video with Miki Ando's quads. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh93A8xR_IQ

Please watch, share and comment. Hope you like it. And if you know any other quad done by Miki which isn't in the video please let me know so that I can add it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

The one 3:43-3:48 is GORGEOUS. What an amazing athlete she is :)

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

You forgot to include the one that was ratified in 2002. Nice video, though! :) Thanks for sharing!

:) I agree. That one was amazing!

4. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Miki sure was determined in her earlier years to land that quad, but it seems like COP has killed this ambition. I thought the attempt at the 2008 GPF was breath taking and it's a shame that it received less value than a 3salchow would have.

5. bartek

bartek New Member

It is at the begining - Junior GPF 2002-2003. It was first ratified quad landed by a woman ever according to Miki's wikipedia biography so I don't think she'd had a ratified attempt before that.

6. floskate

floskate Vacant

No that's definitely 2003-04 Nationals, the same as the second clip just a different angle. The one she had ratified at the JGPF, she wore a pink floaty thin strapped dress IIRC.

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Impressive! She definitely nailed it a few times. COP did make her stop trying it and now it is not clear she could ever get it to where she had it even when she did UR it. If she went for 4S and it was UR she would be judged on a 3S and then get less points than if she just did a 3S! That rule was modified but I don't think Ando would do it again.

8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

floskate is right, that video is from the 2003 Japanese Nationals. You can download Miki's LP with the ratified 4S from the 2002 JGPF at FSVids.. :) And here's another 4S attempt.

9. bartek

bartek New Member

Thanks for correcting my mistake and thank you for those vids but actually this was neither Junior GPF nor Japanese Nats. There was written in description of the video that it was Junior Worlds 2002, though I'm not sure if it's right. If so, she would have had Firebird for three seasons - 2001-2002, 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 and it's rather unlikely (Worlds are always in the second half of the season, aren't they?). Second issue, I don't think it's the same as second clip because in the Japanese Nats clip Miki is smiling much more right after landing the quad (she's moving her hands in the same moment) than in the first clip. So maybe this is really Junior Worlds 2002 or the author made mistake in the description, this is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi1331g-qcI What do you think? I think I will rename first quad to Junior Worlds and add Junior GPF.

10. floskate

floskate Vacant

It's definitely the 2003-04 Japansese Nationals. I just checked my video of the event and the board markings and ice markings are exactly identical to both clips. Also she has the exact same balance check and exact same underrotation in both the clips. :) The youtube clip you're referring to is wrongly labelled.

Here is Miki's 2002 World Junior LP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc7FZGol7hQ

11. bartek

bartek New Member

Thanks for help. Where did you find whole Miki's skate from Japanese Nats 03-04? I suppose she landed there 3Lz-3L and 3T-3T so could you give me the link? I would add them to my vid with her triple-triples.

12. midori

midori Well-Known Member

13. bartek

bartek New Member

Could you check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I52FGRlAz64 ? Maybe they told if it was senior or junior so we know for sure if I repeated two the same quads in my video. Maybe the first clip of my vid is just junior nats and the second one is senior. So hard to know without help of native speaker ;).

14. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Impressive, even if the slow-mo show that many of those attempts in competition are UR.
    Shame that CoP is not good for attempting such a difficult jump !

15. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Well, this year she could get a benefit from trying a 4S. Even if it's not full rotation she could get credit for a 70% quad, not downgraded, but only with the "<" which would get her more points than a 3S.

16. midori

midori Well-Known Member

This is from 2003-04 Senior Nationals. I know because I was there :) and yes the clip says so. The medalists on the podium is another clue.

17. floskate

floskate Vacant

:eek: Wow thanks for the clarification. I've always thought they were the same but then I don't speak Japanese so I'm happy to stand corrected. They do look so similar though!

18. bartek

bartek New Member

Oh, that's right, I forgot that in the second clip there are Fumie and Shizuka on the podium as well as Miki! So the mystery is unfold ;). Now I can see that she really wanted to keep landind those quads after she got ratified with one at Junior GPF, just to prove to poeple and to herself that she was still able to land it. And we can see in the season 2003-2004 - four attempts at quad and I believe that senior japanese nats are right after junior ones so Miki pulled quad at one competition after another. She's impressive! I hope that with new rule about downgrading there is a chance Miki will go for quad in the future.

19. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Tara did mention during COC that Miki and Morosov plannned on adding the quad later this season, but with just 4CC and Worlds left it seems doubtful. 4CC seems the most likely place for her to attempt it or perhaps WTT.

I am all for her adding the quad, but she has been so consistent this season with her planned jump layout, so at this point it would seem unwise to alter what is already working for her.

20. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Is it working for her?

21. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I would say so. She has won every free skating segment this year with clean performances and regained the Japanese national title for the first time in years.

22. bartek

bartek New Member

And she got HUGE score at Japanesem Nats, even as for this competition standards the score was high 137 points for FS. Even Mao didn't get such high scores when she won Japanese Nats in 2007 or 2008.

I think she can tru a quad at 4CC or WTT where consequences of failing won't be that big as in case of Worlds. If she's not going to try the quad I hope she will at least gor for her triple-triple.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  23. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I wish Miki would add more connecting steps and in between moves. Does anyone know why Miki never does outside edge eagles? I think her postures are greatly improved. I even love her layback.

24. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Maybe because she might possibly end up with more of a butt-eagle? I agree though, it would be nice if she could even do an extended inside edge spread eagle rather than all the posing in her LP. But, she has added transitions into her 2nd 3lutz and the 3loop over the last couple of seasons. If you look back to 2007 Worlds she didn't have a difficult entrance into any of her jumps.

25. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

But she had more transitions when she was with Sato in 2004.

26. bartek

bartek New Member

And she always does two three-turns before salchow, even is she tries a quad and that's look really nice. I remember that she had difficult entry to her triple lutzes in season 2005-2006 but she switched to simple entry when she started to train with Morozov. Tomorrow I will upload my video with her triple-triples and it can be seen there. I have a problem though because I can't open protocols with scores from competitions from seasons older than 2008-2009 ;/.

27. bartek

bartek New Member

28. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Some skater cannot physically perform that move. Maybe Miki is one of them.

29. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Wow, most of those 2007 practice ones looked bigger and cleaner than the others. Given the mechanics of the quad sal and triple axel are similar did she ever work on triple axels?

30. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Yes, with some success in practice, but she's never tried one in competition.