Miki Ando won the championship, exceeding 200 points for the first time

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

This is an article in “Sports Hochi” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese
    In the 4 Continents, Miki won the championship, exceeding 200 points for the first time at her personal best score
    February 21st, 2011 JST

The photo:
    Photography: by Kyodo
    Miki Ando who won the championship and hug each other with Mao Asada, in Ladies in the 4 Continents.
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/photo/20110220-431596-1-L.jpg

In the last day in the 4 Continents (in Taipei in February 20th), the free skating of Ladies was held and Miki Ando (23, Toyota Motor) who was the first place in the short place won the championship for the first time at 201.34 points of her personal best score.

While aiming to recover the throne after an interval of 4 years, Ando got her hands on the big medal. The score of the free skating is the second place on the history of Ladies Single of ISU. The score of the free skating is 134.76 points of the second place on the history of Ladies Single of ISU.

Reference:
    The persona best scores of the free skating of Ladies of ISU
    http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/pbslfs.htm

As for her total score, too, it is the high score of the 4th place on the history and she got the score which exceeds 200 points as the 4th person on the history, following to “Yu-Na Kim, Mao Asada, and Joanni Rochette who stood on the podium in the Vancouver Olympics”.

Reference:
    The personal best score of the total score of Ladies of ISU
    http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/pbslto.htm

On the podium, she strewed the smiling face in which the dignity of queen hangs in the air, while saying, “I feel I can think it positively because I could do such an acting although my body was not the best condition. I got wonderful evaluation, but I think that I would like to practice so as to be able to get the personal best score once again”.

She was taking medicine because she was out of sorts from previous day, but her body regained the power much better than the time of the short program, she said. Appearing to the rink with the black costume which there is a big opening in the back, she danced to the timbre of violin.
    She avoided the jump combination of the two consecutive triple jumps of big skill, but she succeeded the 5 kinds of jumps in succession in the second half of the program. As for the spin, she got the evaluation of Level 4 which is the best Level in all of three spins.

As for this season, she got the 4 titles with summing up "2 events of GP series" and the "Japan Nationals". In the 2007 Tokyo Worlds where she won the championship for the first time, she had injured the right leg under the influence of having changed the skates just before the event, but, in this time, she faces to the event as the favorite for the championship, under the impeccable condition. After returning to Japan, she plans to go to Moscow and to tune herself up finally.

She said, “My goal is to do the best acting both in SP and in FS, in this season. I am happy if I can get the medal as that result. I would like to become more the skater who remains in the memory of the people than the result”. She might get hold of the ideal opportunity which regains a queen.

The article
    In the 4 Continents, Miki won the championship, exceeding 200 points for the first time at her personal best score
    http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20110220-OHT1T00270.htm

Reference:
    Miki Ando at Four Continents on YouTube
    FS “Piano Concerto in A minor, Mov.3, Op. 16” by Edvard Grieg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXJD420s_N0&feature=player_embedded

The Judges Details of FS in Ladies in Four Continents.
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2011/fc2011_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

2. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Miki's score is remarkable considering the change in GOE values and now the ChSp1 taking place of the SpSq.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  3. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Wow didn't notice that before. So right now, all the ladies will the get same level no matter what (except the GOE). Actually its a good thing, im sick of seeing ugly spiral and always thought they are too long.

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I always liked having the long spirals, but only for skaters like Sasha Cohen and Mao Asada who had amazing flexibility. At the same time, ladies figure skating has always had spirals, and now, it seems like one of the defining parts of ladies figure skating is going away.
    I will miss having the three positions since many people are just doing one long one.
    Also, I may have been hallucinating, but did anyone notice that Miki Ando smiled at 1:50?

5. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Call me crazy, but I think they should have kept the spirals in the SHORT program as a required element, but made a Choreographed Spiral sequence or even a Choreographed MITF option for the free program.

Congrats to Miki for skating consistently well this season. I hope she can add more emotion and power to her free skate at worlds.

LuckyCharm and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Macassar88

Agreed. After all, the short program is the closest we have to compulsories, and is supposed to show the basics. Isn't flexibility a basic of figure skating? And I think that keeping the levels but making it optional in the free skate would be nice.
    Any idea whether Miki will bring back her triple lutz triple loop?

7. Akira Andrea

This is an article in “Sankei Sports” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese
    February 22nd, 2011 JST
    Miki might remove the ban on her big skill! (1/2 Page)

The photo:
    Photography: by Sanspo Com
    Miki Ando who returned to Japan at Haneda Air Port.
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/images/110222/spm1102220504001-p1.jpg

By Takashi Yamada
    Miki might remove the ban on her big skill!? Miki Ando (23, Toyota Motor) who won the championship for the first time with 201.34 points as the 4th person who got the score beyond the 200 points on the history of Ladies of ISU, in the Four Continents (at Taiwan) which finished in the previous day, returned to Japan in February 21st. Aiming at the comeback to the queen after an interval of 4 years, in the Worlds (Tokyo) in March which is getting close, she showed the intention to challenge the 2 consecutive triple jumps which she has continued a seal as for.

The article:
    Miki might remove the ban on her big skill! (1/2 Page)
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/110222/spm1102220504001-n1.htm

This is an article in “Sankei Sports” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese
    February 22nd, 2011 JST
    Miki might remove the ban on her big skill! (2/2 Page)

By Takashi Yamada
    She has no time for enjoying the lingering atmosphere after the brilliant achievement. Ando who achieved the brilliant achievement exceeding 200 points which is the 4th person (following to Yu-Na Kim, Mao Asada and Joannie Rochette) in the history in the 4 Continents spoke of the secret "ambition", saying, “Because the Worlds is a special event, I would like to attempt triple Lutz-triple Loop (Basic Value 11.1points)”.
    In the short program (SP) in the 4 Continents, because she was under the influence also of anemia during the event, she avoid instantly the combination jump of "triple Lutz-triple Loop" which had been planned in the program and changed it to triple Lutz-double Loop (Basic Value 7.8 points).
    She earned a point by "the acting to fascinate" like the spin and the step than the jump. And she could exceed 200 points at the total score by the skating without being deducted even one point in "the Grade of Execution" (GOE) in SP and in FS. Thereupon, her inborn "jump fever" caught fire.

In the practice, she lands "the two consecutive triple jumps" under the high probability. But, even in the Japan Nationals where she won the championship in the end of last year, they had adopted the strategy to degrade the degree of the difficulty by the intention of Nikolai Morozov coach, because they have the anxiety that Loop jump of the second jump is easy to be evaluated as lack of rotation. Because 3.3 points are added even by only the Base Value if changing "double Loop" of the second jump to triple Loop, she seems to be thinking to persuade the coach, saying, "I am going to consult with a coach neatly in Russia of the training base". She said, "In the Worlds (She won the championship there) 4 years before, I was surprised at the result. But now I am conscious of the medal. I am excited with expectation".
    She (23) is the eldest in Ladies in Japan Representative. She is going to compete by the jump which attained maturity.

The article:
    Miki might remove the ban on her big skill! (2/2 Page)
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/110222/spm1102220504001-n2.htm

8. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Wow-that is amazing indeed! :eek:

Like some others here I had forgotten about the CHSP1 taking the place of the SpSq (unfortunate imo but it is what it is).

Ot but it's interesting Sasha Cohen is still in the top five on the list. :cool:

I like what Miki said about wanting to remain in the memory of people, rather than the results. :)

Btw I think it's total awesomeness that Miki is now 23 and still hasn't seemed to have hit the peak of her powers. I like that-longetivity with good success rather than some teen phenom that comes along, wins a couple of big championships, then disappears from eligible skating i.e. Baiul, Lipinski.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I usually don't see the point of short spirals, some are held for less than second - they rarely add anything to the choreography at all.

However, I'm happy that the spiral sequence has been eliminated from the SP as a required element. They were becoming really tiresome and all the ladies did the same (often unattractive) positions.

At least now those who can do beautiful long spirals can do so as part of the choreography/interpretation and don't need to ruin the effect by changing positions.

10. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

I'm worried about Sandra Bezic's response regarding this result.
    She's a big fan of Miki, isn't she?? :lol:

11. Akira Andrea

This is an article in “Sankei sports” in Japan.
    Translated from Japanese.
    The highlight of Ando's performance is the eight jumps in the second half of the free skating
    February 20th, 2011 JST

The photo
    Photgraphy: by AP
    Miki Ando who is smiling, having a Gold medal in the hand.
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/110220/spm1102202048014-p1.htm

The photo
    Photography: By Kyodo
    The free skating of Miki Ando who won the championship in the 4 Continents (At Taipei in February 20th)
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/110220/spm1102202048014-p2.htm

The photo:
    Photography: By AP
    Miki Ando who won the championship
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/110220/spm1102202048014-p3.htm

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/110220/spm1102202048014-p4.htm

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/110220/spm1102202048014-p5.htm

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/110220/spm1102202048014-p6.htm

The photo:
    Photography: By Kyodo
    Miki Ando who hugs each other with Mao Asada
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/110220/spm1102202048014-p7.htm

The photo:
    Photography: By AP
    Mao Asada, Miki Ando and Mirai Nagasu who are on the podium
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/110220/spm1102202048014-p8.htm

By Kyodo
    In the last day of the 4 Continents (at Taipei in February 20th), it was the 4 minutes and 8 seconds of the highlight which it was difficult to find a defect in whichever it takes as for the jump, the spin and the step.
    In the free skating of Ladies which became the competition of high level, the player who emitted the most dazzling brilliance was Ando who wore the black costume.
    The highlight of her program is the second half of her performance which the score of jump become 1.1 times in. She performed and showed us very easily the aggressive composition which continues to jump the eight jumps of "the big skill like the double Axel-triple Toeloop" etc in succession.
    While winning an applause which pours on with a comfortable look, she threw out the chest, saying, "I apt to make a mistake if the feeling becomes negative, but I think that I has grown as the player because I can control my feeling now". At both the score of FS and the score in total, she renewed "her personal best score in 2007 Worlds" which had decorated her first victory. It is a brilliant achievement which is the 4th person in the history in Ladies, to have gotten the score which exceeds 200 points in total.

She can greet the Worlds in March in the best condition.

The article:
    The highlight of Ando's performance is the eight jumps in the second half of the free skating
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/110220/spm1102202048014-n1.htm

12. Macassar88

I liked it when they had three positions to hold for three seconds each. If it were optional and goe was more punishing, I think that we would see better ones.

13. stillalive

stillalive Active Member

ehm, actually no? :confused:

14. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

Gorgeous pictures of Miki!

15. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Well its a good thing neither CBC or ABC covering the 4CC. Who knows what will come out of that women mouth!! :scream:

16. Akira Andrea

17. Macassar88

I meant ladies figure skating. Considering all the things they are expected to do, I'd say flexibility is a basic.

18. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Figure skating is NOT gymnastics, thank goodness - and I always thought that skating is supposed to be about edges and movement on them, not how much of an elastic band one can be.

19. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

No it's not gymnastics, but flexibility is becoming more, and more prevalent in figure skating imo. Moves that require exceptional flexibility like the I-Spin which Cohen popularized seem here to stay. And I think elements like the layback look much nicer with a certain degree of flexibility.

20. Macassar88

I know it isn't gymnastics, but there is still an element of flexibility on many skills such as the layback and some variations on upright and camel spins.

21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

No 3/3 probably better for all that backloading! why do a 3/3 when the bonus can rack up some points that could come with a 3/3 anyway. Plus by not doing a 3/3 she can get good GOE because she is a great jumper. So becaue she is a great jumper better not to push herself so she can get great GOE on the simpler jumps. She may have a great 3/3 but in her situation why would she do such a thing.

22. stillalive

stillalive Active Member

Then I guess we just make different use of the word "basic".
    As in spirals, basics are shown in the edge control and the overall quality of the edging; look at Kostner's spiral sequence from the past seasons: while she didn't achieve a full split position, the basic skating requirements were done better than most of the other top ladies.

23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I don't understand the trash talk about Miki's spins and spirals. Sure, they used to be really bad but now they are actually quite good. She has good flexibility in the I-spin and fully stretches/straightens her leg in her camel spin and spirals, and her extension and control in her spirals is much improved from 07. Now, she doesn't have the spins and spirals of Alissa, Mao, and Mirai, but neither does Yuna, and no one seems to think Yuna doesn't deserve to win competitions just because she isn't as flexible as some of the other skaters. Miki's strength is her jumps and consistency/conditioning, but her spins and spirals aren't a weakness like they are for someone like Rachael Flatt, they are adequate and earn the maximum levels and under COP that's enough.

24. miki88

miki88 New Member

I don't think her lack of flexibility on her spins/spirals are the main reasons people are underwhelmed by Miki's wins. It has more to do with her unengaging and dull choreography, and the fact that she is backloading all of her jumps in the LP in order to gain more points. While, I do agree being able to do jumps in the second half deserves credit but it's not so amazing when the skater seems to have a lot of time in the first half to prepare for it. Just saying.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  25. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

This is true. If you don't do much of anything in the first half how is "mid-loading" impressive? That doesn't just go for Miki though. I think she has a good spin-the sit spin where she goes sideways.

26. miki88

miki88 New Member

I am not so much upset on her TES score (although some of the GOEs she got for spins/spirals were a bit too much IMO) but her PCS scores are just baffling. Just because she skates well doesn't mean she should get such high scores for things like interpretation and choreography. Seeing her scores makes me sad for skaters like Akiko who really have to work for her PCS.

27. stillalive

stillalive Active Member

I know right? Isn't it a very typical 6.0 mindset on judges' part?

28. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

It is ridiculous to claim that the non-jump elements in a program are not athletic. They might be less risky, but they do take a lot of energy and stamina.

29. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Weather we like it or not, PCS score do reflect some degree to the TES score. Just look how Asada was getting mid 50s during her earlier GP and the score goes up to 63 range once she skated much cleaner. Alissa was getting 61+ when she skates clean and it drop lower at 4CC due to errors. I personally think her PCS are fair and when she skate clean, she got good PCS mark. When she doesn't, she had gotten lower PCS. Many skaters did beat her many times before on PCS mark, like Kim, Asada, Rochett, Alissa, Akiko, Kostner, Korppi, Lepisto etc.

30. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member