Miki Ando out of GP series (2013-2014 will be her last season)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by MINAM, Oct 9, 2012.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Section 3.4 of the GP Announcement defines a "seeded" skater as anyone listed in paragraph 2.1, which includes:
    2.1.a: Placed 1-6 at last year's World Championships
    2.1.b: Any skater/team moved to a seeded position because of vacancies
    2.1.c: "Come-back" Skaters/Couples previously seeded and taking the automatic two option, like Ando

3.4 states, "If any seeded skater/couple elects in advance of the Grand Prix Period not to participate in their assigned events (for whatever reason) they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions during the Grand Prix Period. In addition, depending on the circumstances, these seeded skater/couple may be subject to sanctions in accordance with Rule 136, paragraph 6, of the General Regulations..."

That leaves NRW (5-9 Dec) and Golden Spin (13-16 Dec) as the only two Senior B's, i.e., international competitions including seniors. (Santa Claus Cup, also 5-9 Dec, only includes juniors and novices.)

I don't know what the qualification rules for Japanese Nationals are: five of six regions that Sylvia listed are either in progress or over. Ando did not compete in her national championships last year after winning two seasons ago; I don't know if they have byes, and, if so, if the bye criteria extend past one season.

Rule 136.6 speaks of sanctions, but isn't specific. The GP Announcement says the sanctions "may be in the form of monetary penalties" but doesn't limit them to money.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I noticed the last part of the headline, which I had missed initially. Has Miki announced that 2013 will be her last season? Why not go to another Olympics? Is it burnout/injuries? If it's not that, I don't think finding another coach would be a problem for her.

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It is not like she can just choose to go to another Olympics at the last minute. She is Japanese, not Canadian. :lol:: The Japanese team is very deep, and based on 2010 they choose their teams based on performances of the last 2 years, not just the Nationals (the reason Miki herself even made the 2010 team despite placing a distant 4th at Nationals). If she even had a hope of making it she would need to skate the whole 2013-2014 season and produce great results, and then skate great at Nationals too. As it is the only GP she would even be eligible for next season probably would be a host pick.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Plushenko, though, thought he was a show skater and was in pretty bad shape, given the technical requirements, when he attempted his comeback for Vancouver, and took a crash approach in too little time. Had he had another six months, I think he would have regained his speed and taken the title.

I doubt Ando will get that badly out of shape, and the technical requirements for a top women, at least over the last few years, are not comparatively as difficult, especially with the younger Russian skaters going through growth spurts.

5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i don´t think so.

to be honest, miki is the only real shot alongside asada for a medal in sotchi.
    she is a two time world champion and has left the scene on a very high note with a dominating season (forgetting about Japan Open afterwards).
    Artistically she surely improved more and more (as it is seen in the shows); so the japanese federation would do what they can do to bring her to the olympics, if she goes for it.

surely they cannot make the same 'failure' like in 2006 but i think, they will go for her, as long she is in 'ok shape'.

6. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I know this is off topic but I'm interested to know who the hockey player is and where you got this information.

7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Anyone know why Miki took last season off to begin with? Taking even one season off is not a good way to try to make it to another Olympics.

8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Because she won Worlds and pretty much everything else that season and wanted to rest? And a tsunami had just ravaged through her home country and likely affected much of her family and close friends?

9. homura

homura New Member

AFAIK, Japanese federation chose their 2010 Olympic team based on the result of either 2009 Grand prix final or 2009 Japanese Nationals. (NOT the performances of the last 2 years.) Miki made the 2010 team because she was the highest among the Japanese qualifiers at 2009 Grand prix final, despite placing 4th at the Nationals.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I'm surprised to see her so affected by Morozov not coaching her. Her "pro" programs of the last 12 months or so were beautiful, some of the best she's ever done. I don't think he was involved in those, so I'm wondering why she's not more confidant to continue on without him.

11. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that Morozov recommended that she take the time off? Which in hindsight...:rolleyes:

12. Jeschke

please, come on. 10 consecutive years of international competitions.
    3 junior worlds medals,
    2 world titles + 1 world bronze
    + 3 more worlds top6 finishes.

she needed to take breathe and this was wisely of morozov, especially after her world title.

we knew what happened the season after her last world title 2007 ending with the drama in gothenburg. she seemed to carry a big burdon throughout the whole season.
    thne, after 2011, miki surely was mentally stronger (of course because of morozov) but i think it was the right time to give her time to breathe .

if she would have come back this season, there would be no problem regarding to olympics.

but let´s face it, we can be glad to see her in one more competitve event, and that´s it :(

13. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

Maybe it could be the Pro-Am Medal Winners Open

14. Jeschke

oh, this would be kind of sad, there she can take part all the coming years, please, one more great free skate

15. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

At this point I'm not even sure what one event that would be.

If she is really serious about taking a run at the 2013-14 season, it would be a good idea to get Japan to send her to the team event next spring. That would give her a chance to post a qualifying score and/or a top 75 seasons best and a shot at a GP event next year.

If we don't see her ready to compete there, then I think, like so many former champs before her, she is just making sad noises about resuming her career while she copes with the idea of being done.