Miki Ando out of GP series (2013-2014 will be her last season)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by MINAM, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i have my doubts about that.

skating is so popular in japan, every lady taking part in olympics (assuming ando is none of them) wouldn´t want to give their home spot away, if they earned it at nationals.

maybe if there´s an olympic champion (asada, who else) but even then, the media pressure would really want to see her.

japan open, nationals or world team trophy are more likey.

2. analia

analia Active Member

The way I see it, Miki is delirious and heartbroken about Morozov and doesn't know what's next for her. I saw Miki at a show early in the summer and she didn't seem very happy on the ice.

3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Is she training in Japan or the US now? What are her coaching choices?

4. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

I think Miki already accompalished everything. Two world titles, + a world bronze, 5th place at her last Olympic from a country that skating only became popular the last two decades. And she is already what 25? 26? Im sure she will have no prob finding career outside of skating.

5. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

I wish her the best in whatever it is she decideds to do in the future. I hope she finds the person she's been looking for in a relationship(I.E not Morozov).

6. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Poor Miki , I think she is more damaged emotionally :( :wuzrobbed
    don't know how much Morozov affected her on this but good luck to her
    maybe I can still see her for another season maybe at nationals or 4CC

7. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

D*mn you, Morozov! :mad:

It took Miki a long time to mature into a complete skater and it's a shame that she is losing her chance (which I think had been a good one) of finally winning the Olympics.

I wonder how Miki might have done if she could have been coached by Brian Orser after Yu-Na left.

<< ()"o >>

Snoopy hugs, Miki.

8. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

I don't know where you guys find reports saying that she was dating Morozov but it's been a while she's dating fellow japanes skater.

9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Morozov spreads his poo-poo yet again. What a jerk.

10. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Disappointed and sad to hear that we won't see her skate on the GP series this season. I wanted to see her go after another world title.

11. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

No, they could not ban her. The GP rules do cover this. They say if a come-back skater withdraws from an event they will not be assigned another one, but they mention no other penalties. The language permitting withdrawal only for medical reasons applies only to seeded skaters.

If she is aiming for 2013 Worlds, she still needs to post a qualifying score in a Senior B event this season.

Also, since she did not compete in 2011-12 season, she was treated as a "come back skater" to get GP assignments this year. That procedure can only be used once, so she will need to go thru the usual qualifying procedure to get a place in any GP event if she wants to skate in the 2013 GP season.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  12. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

Morozov said he was going to marry her in one of his interviews after they broke up.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

And that her mother disapproved, which is what broke up the engagement.

14. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Thank you!

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

This AFP newswire article in English states that Ando's "absence from the GP events makes it impossible for her to qualify for December's national championships which will serve as Japan's trials for the world championships to be held in Canada next March."

Ando can still compete at Japanese Nationals (Dec. 20-24 in Hokkaido) if she wants to, correct?

16. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

the arcticle says no; but i cannot imagine that she wouldn´t get a bye to nationals, or?

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Since she pulled out of the GP, she wouldn't be able to compete until after NHK. There are two Senior B's before Japanese Nationals -- NRW and Golden Spin -- but, according to the article to which Sylvia links below, this isn't an option.

Doesn't that quote say that dropping out of the GPs means she can't qualify for December Nationals? If so, does that mean that there are qualifying events (like US Regionals/Sectionals and Canadian Challenges) that are already passed -- didn't Suguri compete in them and not qualify, or was that last year? -- or would take place the same time as the GP's, and for which she would have had byes?

About sanctions against Ando, I don't think this was ever in the GP announcement, but instead in other ISU documents, but wasn't there a provision in which federations could be sanctioned if a top skater pulled out of or refused to do GP's, in addition to the block against doing shows and other competitions during GP season? The ISU was rattling its swords threatening USFS and the Russian Fed (re: Kwan and Plushenko). IIRC, this was before there was a "comeback" clause, and "comeback" skaters have to have been seeded in order to be guaranteed two under the clause.

If this applies, the ISU would be idiots for taking on the Japanese Fed, which is one of their few solid sources of :bribe:.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

That could be it. To which Regional (Block) does Ando belong? 4 of the 6 Japanese Regionals have already finished (Kanto, Chubu, Tokyo, Kinki) with the last 2 scheduled to take place this weekend -- Tohoku-Hokkaido and Shu-Shikoku-Kyushu.

19. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Love how this thread has more posts about Morozov and his dating/engagement/marriage affairs than Miki Ando's skating!

Will really miss her when she's gone! Off the top of my head, she is probably one of the few skaters who consistently puts out clean 6 - 7 triple (usually 7) programs and I love those programs!

20. Susan M

I don't know why they say that. There are at least 6 non-GP senior events she could use to earn a World (or at least 4CC) qualifying score before her Nationals. All of them would require a trip to Europe, though. Would the Japanese Federation be willing to help her get a spot and foot the bill for the trip?

Of course, the big question is whether she is well-trained enough to actually earn the necessary TES if she goes.

21. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I guess she was way more depedant on Morozov than I haver ever thought.

22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

So is she now retired? It says 2013 is her last season. Or is she going to still make a run at Sochi? I can't see her skating next season but not trying for the Olympics.

23. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

According to the latest article, Miki said she wants to compete at 2013-2014 Japan national championships so far. She takes half a year off and then prepares for the domestic block competitions to be qualified for Japan nationals. She hasn't given up competing at Sochi, either. Anyway next season is next season. We have to wait to see what she says next autumn.

24. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Not unless you mean tonsil hockey. :p

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish Miki health and happiness, whatever she decides to do.

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I can't see her being a factor if she takes this season off. That will make it over two years before she competes again. Add in factors like her age and the tough competition in Japan i think maybe she needs to just retire for good now. By the time Japan Nationals roll around in December of 2013 she will be 26 and rusty.

27. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

rusty ? isn't that a bit ageist :confused:
    look at Suzuki or Leonova who are both turning 28, they are still doing good

28. Susan M

Are you sure? Here is the GP Announcement
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3584
    I only find this restriction in Section 3.4, where it only applies to seeded skaters (those who finished 1-6 at 2012 Worlds).

I'm don't know if there is an actual definition for Senior B, but qualifying scores can be posted at any international event. Looking at the ISU calendar, I counted 7 international events at the senior level between now and Japanese Nationals, but the entry deadlines are already passed for the first four. Golden Spin is probably not a practical option because it is so close to Japanese Nationals, but I don't understand why Dortmund or Merano are not options.

Already passed:
    Oct 24-28 Cup of Nice (France)
    Oct 30-Nov 4 Crystal Ice (Brasov, Romania)
    Nov 6-11 IceChallenge (Graz, Austria)
    Nov 15-18 Warsaw Cup (Poland)

Still open:
    Nov 16-18 Merano Cup (Italy) - "each National Association may entry up to two (2) competitors for the Junior and Senior categories... Entries must be sent by October 15th"

Dec 5-9 NRW Trophy (Dortmund, Germany) - "Each ISU Member has the right to nominate 3 competitors for each single event ...The entries by name should reach the organizer not later than November 4th , 2012."

Dec 13-16 Golden Spin of Zagreb (Croatia) - "Each ISU Member may enter one Competitor for Ladies and Men ...Entries must reach the Organizer not later than November 16, 2012."

IMO, it is doable if someone really wanted to make it happen. Because of all the smoke and misinformation, I'm beginning to think perhaps the real issue is that she just can't get ready in time. (It makes sense. If she can't be ready to compete at Trophy Bompard Nov 16-18, then does another week or two make much difference?)

I hope she finds something in life to interest/excite her again, whether it is skating or something else.

29. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Leonova will only be 22 next month.

30. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Suzuki is doing very well for her, easier to do when she was never that great to begin with. Her high is probably the last year, I doubt she will be a big medal factor by Sochi but should be on their team.

Leonova is not anywhere near 28 years old, she is much younger than Ando, but that said she will be hard pressed to even make her own countries Olympic team for Sochi.

Ando would be 26 and having not competed for over 2 years. She is no Plushenko, and even Plushenko went from dominating the Olympics to losing to Evan freaking Lysacek after taking a few years off at that age.

Jammers is right but it is pretty obvious she is easing into retirement anyway. Probably one final token appearance at the Japan Open or maybe even her own Nationals next year to wave goodbye.